It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$54K for a Lost Blackberry? Read the Suspicious Police Report Filed by DNC Organizers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Democratic National Convention organizers claim they lost approximately half a million dollars worth of electronic gadgets during last year’s convention in Charlotte, N.C., ABC News reports

“Organizers of the Charlotte, N.C., convention have filed an eyebrow-raising police report for lost and stolen electronics, some of which they have valued at as much as 62 times the listed market prices,” the report adds. The value of an allegedly stolen 13-inch MacBook? $75,537. An iPhone? $30,503. A Blackberry? $54,250. Suspicious Police Report Filed by DNC Organizers Seeking Lost Item Compensation

www.theblaze.com...

Well now that is some 'creative financing' that right there folks is FRAUD, filing a false police report yes?

abcnews.go.com...

A $75,000 Macbook pro!!!!

Another day more proof that 'draining the swamp' in Washington was a pack of lies on the other hand the midterms are coming up the Democrats just got an early start.

edit on 14-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I have a fairly new Blackberry sitting on my dresser I will sell them as a replacement for a steal of a deal at $25,000.00! I'll even throw in the charger for free!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's not just the device value that they are listing. It's also the value of data lost, time lost that needs to be spent recouping the data, etc. Computer's can contain millions of dollars worth of information on them. The insurance companies will be the one's to determine if it's fraud or not.
edit on 6/14/2013 by EViLKoNCEPTz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
and how much was that gold-plated crapper in the window? $40??

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I had always thought that $30.000.00 for a toilet seat, and $25,000.00 for a hammer was far fetched.

Businesses have their computers stolen all of the time. There are irreplaceable files on those as well. So what do you think will happen if one of those companies read this article and put a $75 price tag on the next computer that is stolen? Do you think the insurance company is going to have problem with that?

Being stolen is one thing.

Being Lost is shear Negligence and Dereliction. Those who have Lost a piece of equipment should have their @$$es sacked.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Sweet. I'm typing on a MacBook Pro (the fancy one with retina or whatever they call it) and I've got an iPhone in my pocket. Did I just turn $4k into over $100k?

As another poster pointed out, I'm fairly certain it's the data on the devices that's driving up the price. That being said, tough luck. From a legal standpoint wouldn't you be required to submit proof that you had lost a certain amount of hours/data? Isn't the only way to prove that by showing the data and hours logged? If you can prove that, then don't you still have that data?

So let's say some dirtbag steals my laptop. I claim I wrote a book that's going to be worth millions. Do I get millions? Nope.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

So are people comparing the DNC to an evil corporations that does backup critical files, I hear clouds are all the rage.

Hmmm that fits actually, bunch of blood thirsty people who are trying to enrich themselves off the work of others?

Why yes it does ironic they always condemn what they themselves are.

What 'valuable' data could have possible been on that stuff?

Hello?

Who to robo call?
edit on 14-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Those are the questions WE will Never hear an answer to.

I would really like to see the details just on one items to see why they are claiming so much. As far as what they think the Value of their files are worth.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I don't know. What do you think is the going price for the contact information of 10 million political donors? Or the political strategies of one of the largest and most powerful political organizations in America?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I remember the good old days when a Govt. toilet cost 100,000 and a hammer was a mere 32,000.

Damn I hate the Govt.

But wait...there will be those in this thread that will claim "It's probably justified".

Butt-Wipes.

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The only reason to artificially inflate the cost of the goods above fair market or replacement value on a police report is to try and milk money from insurers and insurance awards.

Cost of data and time to reconstruct and such are not police report values- those costs would be enumerated in the civil suit against the perpetrators of the theft and those receiving stolen property.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Another pertinent question:
Why file a report in May, 2013 for an event 8 months prior?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

I am sure, with a high degree of certainty that they would keep that information on a server. They are not going to keep all of that information on a Laptop or Blackberry. I can not even agree that they Might lose any critical data because they are going to have EVERYTHING Backed up. On a personal level someone might be as apt to backup their data but we are talking about people who rely on the devices as part of their livelihood..

So, having said that, I would value their device at 80% of the original price. Then I would give them $50 bucks to restore their data.

On the other hand, if I were the insurer, I would have 2 questions right off of the bat. . ...

Why were all of the instances put on one report, and why weren't the occurrences reported as they happened?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Your first line, George Carlin, I use it all the time.

Very True.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

A $75,000 Macbook pro!!!!

That must have included the cost of the blackmail liabililty.
Crooks and liars.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
They could ask the NSA for the missing data.
How could they be so inept so as to loose that much equipment?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EViLKoNCEPTz
It's not just the device value that they are listing. It's also the value of data lost, time lost that needs to be spent recouping the data, etc. Computer's can contain millions of dollars worth of information on them. The insurance companies will be the one's to determine if it's fraud or not.
edit on 6/14/2013 by EViLKoNCEPTz because: (no reason given)

Forget the physical items and the cost, all those people who "lost" such sensitive items should be prosecuted for failing in their duty to secure important data.

This is a joke. This is a bunch of con-artists milking the system for every penny they can get. I know it, you know it, any reasonable person knows it.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
lol, nevermind... Beartracker16 (couple of posts above) beat me to it on that one.
edit on 15/6/13 by HumanPLC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Now Now Neo.... Why are you so hateful toward Democrats? Don't you know, that's not fraud. Their text messages about what they ate that morning or what time they took a dump added value to their devices.

See? It's not the container, it's the gold within they claim was worth more than life itself.

Besides.... Fraud is what you and I would commit and then be convicted for and serve prison time as a result of. When high political organizations do it? It's just a bit of mistaken accounting and confusion. That's all....

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I have at least $5000 worth of software on my macbook pro. The computer itself was probably about $3000. So do I file for $3000, or $8000.

Now, factor in some of the data on it, which is part of a business venture, and the value could be raised to something like 60,000. Because I have a years worth of research and development on it, so I'd have to hire someone at a 60k salary to get it back.

Actually, I couldn't, because I did the work myself. And someone might screw it up.

I wonder if I can put priceless on a police report?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join