It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowden drops bombshell about China

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

NSA hacks China, leaker Snowden claims

Source CNN

Hong Kong (CNN) -- U.S. intelligence agents have been hacking computer networks around the world for years, apparently targeting fat data pipes that push immense amounts of data around the Internet, NSA leaker Edward Snowden told the South China Morning Post on Wednesday.

Among some 61,000 reported targets of the National Security Agency, Snowden said, are hundreds of computers in China -- which U.S. officials have increasingly criticized as the source of thousands of attacks on U.S. military and commercial networks. China has denied such attacks.

The Morning Post said it had seen documents provided by Snowden but was unable to verify their authenticity. The English-language news agency, which operates in Hong Kong, also said it was unable to independently verify allegations of U.S. hacking of networks in Hong Kong and mainland China since 2009.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
CNN
www.wnd.com
beforeitsnews.com

edit on 14-6-2013 by PhoenixOD because: Added a better news source from member Krazysh0t

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The article goes on to say :

The claims came just days after U.S. President Barack Obama pressed Chinese President Xi Jinping to address cyberattacks emanating from China that Obama described as "direct theft of United States property." Snowden's allegations appear to give weight to claims by some Chinese government officials that the country has been a victim of similar hacking efforts coming from the United States. His claims came as Gen. Keith Alexander, the National Security Agency chief, testified at a U.S. Senate hearing that the country's cyberinfrastructure, including telephones and computer networks, is somewhat vulnerable to attack.

This would certainly seem an efficient solution for America to easily get hold of many of china's communications but why would he be giving out information like this? Isnt he just digging a deeper hole for himself?

I cant help wondering if his 'leaks' might just be something orchestrated by America itself. Are they just planting a spy in behind enemy lines by making him out to be a wanted man? Or maybe its just false info they are feeding to the Chinese?

Im sure we will be hearing plenty more about Snowden in the future.

CNN.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-6-2013 by PhoenixOD because: Added a better news source from member Krazysh0t

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
How deep can the hole get? The government, if it gets a hold of him, is probably already going to prosecute him as a traitor. Any new information Snowden releases can't really make the situation worse. Traitors get the death penalty. Can't kill a man twice.

Also here is a cnn link to the same story cause beforeitsnews and WND

www.cnn.com...
edit on 14-6-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
sure its not bull# to slur the guy as a traitor so they can off him and continue [snipped] over your conversations with your wife ?
edit on Sat Jun 15 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: 15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive ... Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Ugh. BeforeItsNews, lol.

On the news last night, they made the point that this guy appears to be making the move from whistle blower to spy, and drew an apt comparison to Phillip Agee. If he goes over to China, as it appears he will, I'd say that's about right.

Revealing what he did about domestic spying was the right thing to do, in my opinion, but telling the Chinese about military and intelligence operations against their government crosses the line.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Who would doubt that the US MIC is hacking into every point possible for data collection and spying.

I would be more shocked if they were not.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
´´and so the normalcy bias begins´´

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

He's probably picking and choosing his battles to remain alive. The Chinese government probably already knew the information that Snowden told them. He most likely just confirmed their suspicions in order to achieve safety. Remember the media isn't going to report the whole story and will most likely just try to paint him as a bad guy.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Dont see why he is a traitor.

Last time I checked hacking was a international crime and hacking andother goverments compters is technacly a act of war.

The USA puts up a big song and dance when someone does it to them?

So really the USA cant moan if they are exposed doing what they claim is illegal and o so bad.

Hypocracy or what!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Here's a link to the original source South China Morning Post

The detailed records - which cannot be independently verified - show specific dates and the IP addresses of computers in Hong Kong and on the mainland hacked by the National Security Agency over a four-year period. They also include information indicating whether an attack on a computer was ongoing or had been completed, along with an amount of additional operational information.

The small sample data suggests secret and illegal NSA attacks on Hong Kong computers had a success rate of more than 75 per cent, according to the documents. The information only pertains to attacks on civilian computers with no reference to Chinese military operations, Snowden said. "I don't know what specific information they were looking for on these machines, only that using technical exploits to gain unauthorised access to civilian machines is a violation of law. It's ethically dubious," Snowden said in the interview on Wednesday.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You gotta be kidding me!This is news? Hes gotta come up with more details to shock me.......
The data collecting has been furiously going on for multi decades!
I think the choice of China for a refuge, speaks volumes about the changes in the worlds order since russia bowed out of the cold war......
Maybe hes a spy, but then again maybe he feels safer in China Than in russia where the US does have some resources......
China is hacking the US 24/7, they must already be well aware we hack them.
Echelon intercepts all the worlds communications for analysis since the 50s.....whats new?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I think the U.S. just needs to say so what, what are you going to do about it, to all these countries and people complaining. I mean really , are they going to enter into a conflict with the most powerful military on the planet? It would mean the end to all. The U.S. is basically doing things their way, might as well come out and admit it.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hey Snowden....
Tick tick tick.....

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

honestly I don't know who started it but both the US and China look to infiltrate each others networks since that is just how China performs its best espionage. They lack what we consider a "formal" espionage effort like that of our traditional enemies.

I would retaliate if I was in charge of the US`s security.

Hell I will admit it. I have advocated to anyone that would listen for a violent response to Chinese based cyber attacks.

I would assassinate a few of their hackers after each major attack and send a message. Too much has been lost to them without a real response.

edit on 14-6-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman

I would retaliate if I was in charge of the US`s security.

I would assassinate a few of their hackers after each major attack and send a message. Too much has been lost to them without a real response.

Does that mean China can assassinate NSA hackers?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

That is the nature of the game.

spies die.

I see no reason why a hacker stealing US secrets is all of a sudden not fair game.

They endanger American lives (and those of our allies)......simple as that. I know where my loyaties are.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Chinese government officials that the country has been a victim of similar hacking efforts coming from the United States

Now I know Snowden is full of hydrochloro bullhockey.

Really sitting there say the US is stealing technology from China!!!

REALLY?

China steals trillions in technology from hacking.
edit on 14-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Chinese government officials that the country has been a victim of similar hacking efforts coming from the United States

Now I know Snowden is full of hydrochloro bullhockey.

Really sitting there say the US is stealing technology from China!!!

REALLY?

China steals trillions in technology from hacking.
edit on 14-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

So are you saying because china steals tech from America America doesn't steal anything from china?

Theres plenty of stuff china does better than America.

edit on 14-6-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Both countries steal stuff from each other. Spying has been going on for as long as countries have existed. Sure china is very good at it but that doesnt mean America dosent do it as well..
edit on 14-6-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join