It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you ever read a book that made you stop and think ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
Well that wheres wally book really did stop and make me think......Like where the hell is he!

Yeah but I know you Doc

Cody

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by cody599

When my children were very young they had a favorite child's book that touched me very deeply and made me cry every single time I read it to them, and it still does to this day.

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

Sounds like a tear jerker

The story details the cycle of life through chronicling the experiences in the life of a young son and his mother throughout the course of the boy's life, detailing the exasperating behavior exhibited by the boy throughout his youth. In spite of her occasional aggravation caused by her son's behavior, the mother nonetheless visits his bedroom nightly to cradle him in her arms and sing a brief lullaby promising to always love him. After her son enters adulthood and leaves home, his elderly mother occasionally sneaks into his bedroom at night to croon her customary lullaby. However, she gradually grows old and frail, and her grown son visits his feeble, sickly mother for the final time, singing an altered rendition of her lullaby in reciprocation of the unconditional love that she had showed to him, vowing to always love her. After returning home, in a scene implying the death of his mother, he cradles his newborn daughter and sings his mother's signature lullaby for her, implying that the cycle will continue.

Guess what I just ordered littled ?
I have a friend that has a daughter that is just at the age she loves to have a story read to her before bed. My friend has waited for this moment his whole life and wandered what to read.

It's his birthday soon, what an amazing present idea thank you so much, what do buy a friend that has everything?

A memory for life

littled you are amazing

Cody

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Try reading if you wish

Mad bad and dangerous to know

Ranulph Fiennes has travelled to the most dangerous and inaccessible places on earth, almost died countless times, lost nearly half his fingers to frostbite, raised millions of pounds for charity and been awarded a polar medal and an OBE. He has been an elite soldier, an athlete, a mountaineer, an explorer, a bestselling author and nearly replaced Sean Connery as James Bond. In his autobiography he describes how he led expeditions all over the world and became the first person to travel to both poles on land. He tells of how he discovered the lost city of Ubar in Oman and attempted to walk solo and unsupported to the North Pole - the expedition that cost him several fingers, and very nearly his life. His most recent challenge was scaling the north face of the Eiger, one of the most awesome mountaineering challenges in the world. Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes OBE, 3rd Baronet, looks back on a life lived at the very limits of human endeavour.

One hell of a guy and thanks for the books

Cody

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I would have to check it out!
Thanks for the DL Amigo

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Aaaaaawww, you're so sweet Cody!

It's a beautiful story, but I truly do cry my eyes out each time I read it. Fortunately, at least for now, my grandgirl prefers One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish!

I know your friend will love the book, but he will have a hard time keeping a dry eye while he reads it to his daughter- this I promise! My children, both in their 20s, can both still quote the entire book word for word. It is truly unforgettable.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

He might love the book
I'm not sure he'll thank me for it

Cody

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

He was thrown out of the SAS

An incredible guy

Here's his interview on Top gear Skip to 12 minutes

It's brilliant

Cody

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I've read many books that made me stop and think. Indeed, if a book does not make me stop and think on some level, it's hardly worth my time.

In the context of ATS, however, two come to mind. These two books turned the tide for me, politically:

See No Evil, by Robert Baer;
and House of Bush, House of Saud, by Craig Unger.

When I read these two, I was at the end of my forty-plus years as a died-in-the-wool Republican. I was just beginning to see through the sham of a two-party system that US politics had become, and these two books pretty much pushed me over the edge.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Hi Cody, I don't post much but I am always here.

I had to pop in to recommend a book by Paoulo Cohello called the alchemist. Very thought provoking and bloody hard to put down. When you can,,, Check it out.

Happy days

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

"New Light on Space and Time" and "Beyond Space and Time" by Dewey Larson made me stop my entire life and think, and then re-think everything!

Also, Magick: Book 4 (Liber 4) by Aleister Crowley will change your life for the better, if you have the diligence, intelligence, perceptiveness, prowess, and courage to stay with it.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I would highly recommend a book called Ringolevio by Emmett Grogan, its kind of a true story, one of my favourite books of all time.
I would also highly recommend The Angels Game and I recently read The Book Thief, both were properly #ed up lol

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
A book that I read at a young and impressionable age.... Cave of the Ancients by Tuesday Labsang Rhampa. It really opened my eyes to the cycles of existance. It was probably the most influential book of my early teens. It didn't make me a a follower of budda or anything, but did lead to much contemplation of my place in this time.

A close second, but opposite end of the spectrum, was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In the end it highlighted the cyclical patterns of existance, but humor goes a long way in readability for me.

Later in life I became enthralled in the world of Roland DeChaine in The Dark Tower Saga.... wow, I think I just noticed a pattern to my taste..... cycles are important to me. No sense in a good destruction without a rebirth...

Boba

edit on 12-6-2013 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I tried reading the bible once. Made me stop and think how do people believe in this bollocks...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Again thanks for sharing. Here is the audio book of Have a nice day! By Mick Foley. It's a condense version. But Mick Foley reads it and he has a great sense of humor.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KBadger

I agree with you. But I would use different words to express why people would believe in the bible or any religious book. I recall reading both the children's and teens bibles as a kid. You can find good parts just as you can find really bad parts. It's just how you accept it.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well, if you have 400 ish books, you have done some reading! My all time favorite was Robert Heinlein, I recommend anything by him.

Some notables, though, if you have not read, I highly recommend. The first, not only because it is an excellent first book in an incredible series, but because after reading about the military gentleman that went to work every day in an office and using a computer to use drones to kill people on the other side of the world brought memories roaring back. Also, it is a movie coming out in November of this year! Always try to read the book first, eh?

Ender's Game
en.m.wikipedia.org...'s_Game_(film)

This next offering is a religious book for those believing in God. There were points in this book where I literally wept. It isn't so much about God, but a man and his family, and his struggles to come to terms with some sad and painful events in life. He asks the hard questions, Why me? Why a child? Why does God let bad things happen to good people?

This book is highly recommended for anyone that asks those questions, but in particular, if you have lost someone close to you, though, that is not a prerequisite. It also has humor, and a lot about love.

The Shack
theshackbook.com...

And, last but not least, another sci-fi book that left a long lasting impression upon me. It is co-written by two fantastic authors, who when coming together, have produced an absolute masterpiece. Do not be fooled by the title, however. This book is not about God, but aliens and interplanetary travel. It is a long book, heavy in detail, but the intensity of that detail draws you in and makes it virtually impossible to put it down. If you absorb good books, and become a part of the story like I do, you will almost feel sad when you get to the end, because you want it to just keep going! The good news is, there is a sequel! You can read more about that at the link below.

The Mote In God's Eye
en.m.wikipedia.org...'s_Eye

edit on 12-6-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Hi cody, I have this one book I read over and over....it amazes me as when I first bought it at a university book sale event, I started to wonder if I made a mistake. It is a book about physics, of all things. I said to self, "What were you thinking"? Anyhow, I started to read it and couldn't put it down. It is called, "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav. That book does make you think.

Gary presents his thoughts and ideas and facts in such a way that as one critic stated, Zukav writes in such beautifully clear language without using mathematics that even those with no scientific backround can learn from it and enjoy the mind-expanding theories relevant to advanced physics...and that is true! Every time I read it, I come away with a new or different way of thinking. I was sure the book was gonna be way over my head but somehow, this writer presents it in such a way that no matter how dumb I was feeling relevant to such scientific subject matter, I came away from the book feeling pleased with myself and understanding way more than I thought I would...enchanted is the right word. Never thought I'd find a book about physics that would be fun to read but this one is that. Enjoy.

He wrote another book called, "The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance" I think it was...didn't get that one though. I like motorcycles too much and I think that one woulda threw me.
I think it was scientific one also. Take care friend and have a good read no matter what new books you try. Reading sure can be thought provoking and fun at times too.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Can't help you, friend. I read all the time, but I'm looking to escape reality while reading. Not looking for a reality-WOW factor.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

incoserv
reply to post by cody599

That first one looks good kinda like an American version of spycatcher

Chenbo

It is one of my favourite reads, I haven't read a bad book by Paoulo Cohello yet

Kody27

I'll look at those though physics generally goes over my head

Bobaganoosh

I'll give them a go although King rarely lights my candle, Eyes of the dragon I read to my son, we both loved it.

Libertygal

I read the shack a couple of years ago,I'm not religious but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have you read Mr God this is Anna It's a charming book

shrevegal

If it was compared with Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance (it was) I'll read it.

Jigger always a pleasure to get a reply from you my friend

Thank you all for your tips

Cody

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

I'll look at those though physics generally goes over my head

Actually Larson makes it a point to not include complex mathematical equations in his theories, so that the average person could comprehend it. It is a fascinating read as a philosophical exercise in thought, rather than an expose on physics.
edit on 18-6-2013 by Kody27 because: u

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join