It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you ever read a book that made you stop and think ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kody27

Thanks

I have to go out shortly for dinner but I'll look it up later.

Cody

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
There was a book, can't remember the exact title, some kind of ESP primer, but it actually turned out to be a series of Ouija board sessions between the author (Jane Roberts, I think) and an entity she called "Seth". It was pretty fascinating, especially as many of the metaphysical ideas espoused by "Seth" were pretty much what I had pieced together as my own ideas over the course of my life. It was pretty amazing to see those ideas organized the same way, in a different source. As to whether I believe in this communication or not? *shrug*... But interesting, and it did make me stop and think.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have a vague memory of reading that
In my youth for my history project I ended up studying the occult, scared the bejeezers out of me but put me on course to take my psychology degree.

I think I studied to try and understand my own mind and learn to organise my own thoughts

Fail

But my post about Ian Brady featured heavily in my dissertation :

Evil perceived, evil personified, and our perception thereof.

Cody

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Jane Roberts (May 8, 1929 – September 5, 1984) was an American author, poet, psychic and spirit medium, who said she had "channeled" a personality who called himself "Seth". Her publication of the Seth texts, known as the "Seth Material", established her as one of the preeminent figures in the world of paranormal phenomena.[1][2] The Yale University Library Manuscripts and Archives maintains a collection entitled Jane Roberts Papers (MS 1090), which documents the career and personal life of Jane Roberts, including journals, poetry, correspondence, audio and video recordings and other materials donated after her death by Roberts' husband and other individuals and organizations.[3]

This one ?

This is the one I read

Cody

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The one book that kind of made me stop and think was
The Celestine Prophecy.

Was a damn good book!
Even if a work of fiction.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

That is the one. The story is pretty fascinating, and it was just so odd to see what I originally thought were my own ideas, coming right off the page. I wasn't sure if I should feel validated or violated, hehe....but since she came before me, have to give it to her.

No matter what your beliefs, it's a fascinating read.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That reminds me of a book I did a book report on in High School Called Arthur Ford speaks from Beyond.
Although that was straight channeling,(automatic writing) that also made me stop and think.

edit on 20-6-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
The one book that kind of made me stop and think was
The Celestine Prophecy.

Was a damn good book!
Even if a work of fiction.

The one quote I took was

"You never meet a person without having something to learn from them"

That made me think Dark. Still does

Cody (Insert relevant emoticon here)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Although that was straight channeling,(automatic writing) that also made me stop and think.

Ms. Roberts' sessions with Seth started from a Ouija board, but she later used automatic writing. I did my own automatic writing sessions years ago, and got someone called "Cheryl" who would answer questions I had about spirituality (mostly very new age type answers), but at some point, the tone changed, and it was obvious I was no longer communicating with the same entity (or my subconscious, whichever you go in for)... the contact still insisted it was the same though, but it was full of it, and I ended the sessions. I have to say, when I first did it, was a mix of fascination, but with a little bit of fear. I mean, it is pretty freaky. But I was too curious to stop. Only when it got dark did I put it aside. Never did try it again. Never felt the need to.

She did make a prediction that came true though (back when I was pretty sure it was her). She told me we'd meet on "my plane" in a couple of years (she even gave a month and year), and she told me what her name would be. Sure enough, one of my friends had a kid, a couple of years later (that month, that year), and without ever sharing any of this conversation, they named their daughter that same name (and it is a rather odd name, I think). I won't post it here, just in case, but needless to say, it is either a heck of a coincidence, or some real affirmation that our idea of the Universe is pretty flawed to say the least. When I looked into that kid's eyes, she really seemed to look right through me. Luckily, I don't really see them all that often, or I'd probably say something stupid, but I'm dying to know the "what ifs" you know? That whole episode pretty much affirmed the idea of reincarnation to me.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
All three volumes of David Paulides "Missing 411" books. The cases he presents in those books. Some of them you just stop and think (trying to figure out what the heck went down) and re-read the case and ...damn!

Very good reading and thinking.

Those are some real weird stories that make you stop and think. I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join