It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration says it will allow all girls to have morning-after pill access

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by beezzer

The government (and you) are saying that children with bad parents actually have a greater oppourtunity to make adult decisions for themselves.
What has trained them to make these adult decisions?
What has prepared them to make these adult decisions?

Bad parenting? Are you infering that bad parents produce better decision makers? Are you stating that having pre-marital sex infers that you are then capable of making an adult decision?

Nope, not saying that at all. I'm saying that children with bad parents are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Without good parents, their opportunities dwindle. At least good parents can discuss the situation with their kids, and together they may make the decision to go ahead and take the morning after pill. Without this legislative change, the children with bad parents most likely wouldn't have that opportunity. Regardless of the legislation, these kids are forced to make an adult decision on their own.

What would you suggest we do with a 13-year-old girl who has a night of unprotected sex, and who can't go to her parents because they're crack heads? Without this legislation, she's only got a couple of options: go ahead and have the baby and drop out of school, or kill herself. Not a lot of opportunity there.

What about a 13 year old with an infection but can't get antibiotics without a parent's consent?
What about a kid with debilitating migraines who can't get meds without his parent's consent?
Why, contrary to every other rule about parental consent, does this one medicine get a pass when all the other medicines for conditions that could be just as life altering and just a debilitating require parental consent?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Population control?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

What do you expect? Honestly? It's not like it's just the governments fault. We let our kids watch all these MTV shows like pregnant and sixteen. We let them listen to rap that says it's OK to shake your butt and be a slut. Even little girls have been on stage in nothing but underwear shaking their pre-teen butts to Beyonce.

How does a little girl NOT grow up to be a slut in this day and age? (Heck, many aren't even grown!) We as parents need to put our foot down. We shouldn't let our kids watch and listen to half the crap they do. So what if they get mad? That's YOUR job as a parent. My daughter is being brought up with virtues and ideals, with respect for herself. Something lost amongst youths today. And I don't blame them, I blame the parents.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

I think you have noticed that this thread really isn't about concern for young girls. It's obvious to me that what we have here is a transparent, conservative agenda driven platform, to try and win favor with the Christian Right and to shore up the GOP base by continually finding fault with the current administration.

There is plenty to be concerned about with the Obama administration....imo this subject isn't one of them.

I'm beginning to question why conservatives have this obsession with other peoples sexuality.
edit on 11-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The drug is powerful and can lead to complications

Really? Could you point me to some evidence for this?

We need to reduce the amount of unwilling and unfit parents. The aftermath of poor parenting puts a great burden on society. This allowance of choice in reproduction will save society money in the short and long run.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Allows all girls to have OTC plan B abortions pills. So 10 year olds can access it? 8 year olds? So now 8 and 10 years olds have the knowledge and know what’s best for their sexual reproductive organs?

So based on this logic, a man 31 years old, can have sexual intercourse with a 10 year old? It would be considered statutory rape but if shes old enough to buy birth control and have “ sexual awareness”, then shes old enough to have sex with anyone?

Did you read the article? They have to be 15 or older to buy it.

The FDA announced in late April that Plan B One-Step, the newer version of emergency contraception, the same drug but combined into one pill instead of two, could be sold without a prescription to those age 15 or older. Its maker, Teva Women's Health, plans to begin those sales soon. Sales had previously been limited to those who were at least 17.

Looks like those idiots at FOX think all girls are 15.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Julian Huxley would be proud of the United States government. Self-induced sterility by the plebeians is perhaps one of the greatest boons for the world power elite.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This thread again?

smh.

They are EMERGENCY contraception and they are VERY expensive, at least to a 15 year old.
People aren't just going to stop using condoms and use this as their fail safe plan.

It's for EMERCENCIES like if a condom breaks. Why can't you get that?

And many studies have shown it is safe for 15 year olds.

You guys like making up facts, don't you?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

oh ffs, the government has directly controlled medications for 70+ years.

I never saw you complain til Obama was mentioned....
You're a fool.
edit on 11-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by spyder550

I've got no idea where you get all that from. How on earth did you jump from people wanting to know what drugs their minor children are taking ... to .... people who want the government to butt out of their families are people who don't want free birth control or who want a bunch of illegitimate kids running around?

That's a pretty massive leap ....

Not a massive leap -- it is the same thing you don't want an abortion, don't have one, you don't want your kids to use birth control tell them to just say no, you don't want them to have sex, tell them to just say no. You don't want your kids to take this pill just tell them not to. Those are for the "good kids" with righteous parents.

The reality is that there are "bad kids" who have bad parents. You want to deprive them of something that will literally hopefully prevent them from having a life altering experience. It probably helps the "good kids" who are scared to death of their righteous parents. You have the right to tell you kid not to drink or drive or take drugs, or have sex. I hope you are successful good luck with that.

These have been available over the counter in Europe, for over a decade. Now I know that is a bad example because we all know that Europeans are savages, satan's spawn as it were, but in this case they had an uncommon flash of incite.

So speaking for bad parents everywhere -- thank you whomever for making this option available.

What a horrendous conclusion that you draw. Only in the west could this generation now consider abortion and abortion drugs a "good thing" for our children, said at the same time as they turn on the tv and open magazines which promote SEX SEX SEX to all age groups. Do you not look to the CAUSES of "unwanted pregnancies" among our society? They learn to think and value sex outside of marriage and procreation, and guess what results? Babies. So somehow all I hear in your tone is that killing babies is the preferred solution and the "lesser evil" when compared with teaching our children that sex has a place but not as "fun" when you are a youth. How about teaching our youth to value LIFE? Guess what is a far more effective deterrent to a youngster contemplating fooling around? Knowing that any baby that results cannot be KILLED. Knowing how much is involved with raising children.

This legislation is obvious in its hypocrisy. The very same leadership that darn well knows what is fueling sexuality at a younger and younger age has just taken yet more power and authority away from parents as a direct result. This drug isn't for children of "bad parents" - its for all children to embrace sexuality and to rid their conscience of guilt in destroying and/or preventing the unborn. The media onslaught of sex in film, music, etc has created our problems today, yet we think the solution is to take a pill to tackle the consequences? How about tackling the cause?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

First, it's not an abortion pill. I'm not going to explain what it does, but it only works about 3 days after the act. If it were an abortion pill, it would work at any time.

And the reason it shouldn't be prescription, is because it only works for 3 days after the act. What if a person can't get to the doctor in time? Why should something that has been proven to be safe and effective for people under 18, be kept from them?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Most people here that seem offended mostly to the idea that you, as a parent, should be "in the know" if their teenager has sex...well if you weren't so much control freaks on your daughters, well than maybe they would talk to you openly about it before learning it trough the need of a birth control pill?

Even if it's not a reason to not have safe sex, I find that its a good idea that young girls that go too far and makes a mistake, can deal with the situation on her own.
Taking responsibilities right? Isn't this something you find important?

On top of that, she doesn't have to additionally go trough the complete shame and the judging attitude of parents that seem to absolutely not understand what it is to live trough those years, especially in a world like it is today.

People used to marry at 13 less than 200 years ago. In the 21st century, sex happens at 15... get over it.

Life is full of challenges, your precious little daughters not reacting 100% like you would like them to, is one of those challenges.
edit on 11-6-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
And the reason it shouldn't be prescription, is because it only works for 3 days after the act. What if a person can't get to the doctor in time? Why should something that has been proven to be safe and effective for people under 18, be kept from them?

Good point, it's also a much cheaper alternative to abortion to the state.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well, if that is the case than do you see any reason that the government should regulate any pharmaceutical, everything should be over the counter. Also maybe the government should not regulate tobacco or alcohol. Heck, we should all be able to own machine guns too.

I think regulations need to be in place for some things. I am actually for the government regulating some things, especially when it comes to kids.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
What about a 13 year old with an infection but can't get antibiotics without a parent's consent?
What about a kid with debilitating migraines who can't get meds without his parent's consent?
Why, contrary to every other rule about parental consent, does this one medicine get a pass when all the other medicines for conditions that could be just as life altering and just a debilitating require parental consent?

Don't people need prescriptions to have medicine?
Doctors decide if medication should be taken.

Are you saying you would deny treatment if the parents don't consent to save their child from sickness when the child clearly shows symptoms easily treatable that have been diagnosed by a doctor?

Parents should be informed or course, but consent is something else.

Young girls in the need of taking morning afters pills have enough **** going on to additionally suffer the shame of "non-consent" parents.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

There in lies the conspiracy.

Well put!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They are not the same because there is no morality connected to the migraine etc.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

So a 15 year old girl can decide for herself a sexual activity, the recourse for a sexual misadventure, yet they can't treat themselves if they have a headache.

M'okay.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There is no law, that I know of, that prevents a teenager from purchasing any OTC medication, such as Excedrin or Tylenol. Plan B is just another OTC.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by beezzer

There is no law, that I know of, that prevents a teenager from purchasing any OTC medication, such as Excedrin or Tylenol. Plan B is just another OTC.

So sex, birth control, headaches. . . . meh?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join