It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Obama administration says it will allow all girls to have morning-after pill access

page: 4
10
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yeah meh. Because real sex ed is fought tooth and nail and watered down by idiots. The only thing left is post event actions.

Perhaps not right for your daughter -- tell her not to buy those. Oh right you already told her to not have sex -- and how did that work. Your choice is to make her have a baby - yikes.




posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


A teenager already can get birth control and even abortions without parental consent or their knowledge. That's been going on for a long time now!



posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Reading through this thread makes me realise how ignorant and backward some Americans really are.

In the UK we have a law called ''Ghillick Competant''. This is for minors, age does not necessary come into it and it covers a wide range of age of the minor. Basically, if a minor is deemed Ghillick competent, then the parents have no say over medications and medical procedures including abortions to the said minor. They don't even have a right to know about it. Confidentiality is between the patient (minor) and Doctor.



posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Entertainment industry makes them slutty and now they have an another excuse other than YOLO to not wear protection. Wait for the rise in sexual transmitted infections,

How about cut sexual music content from radio/tv (before 10pm) stop letting fashion designers plaster our tv with women in size 0 clothes and next to nothing on there body. Whilst were at it, throw a few more million into proper sexual education, I don't know whats with politicians and there inability to solve problem, they just mask them up and prolong them.

Right now, this is an analogy of how it seems were teaching sexual education & throwing it down the necks of our youth..No pun intended


NO, WHAT CAUSES ALL THE STDs

Is the MEN who Insist on their Entitlement to pay to RAPE AND TORTURE SEX SLAVES, aka Prostitutes, MANY of whom are CHILDREN

PUT the Blame on where it Belongs, Rather than the Transferance/demonization game

NO little girls says, "hey mommy dady I wanna be a F toy when I grow up and get Infected with disease, HIV, unwanted pregnancies, permanent physical damage from all the Violence sexual in nature, etc etc etc...

THAT'S where the Diseases come from,

And the Culture of damaged females that Those "Entitlements" Create and Maintain.

Which is the FOUNDATION of the Entire "sexualizing" culture, or Rape Culture,

That infests Yes (agree with you on this point) the music, fashion and media culture,

But the ROOT of it, is the Entitlement MENtality, and That's what needs to be changed, in leaps and bounds.

In Other words, Sanitizing the Consumerist culture alone will NOT end STDs or exploitation, and females Self Denigrating themselves,

Not when there is a Protection of the Denigration of ALL females for an Industry that is the Destruction of All female source of Life,

It's like, cutting off one tentacle to the Octopus while preserving the rest of the beast. You have to cut off the head,

Or the tentacles simply grow back.
edit on 11-6-2013 by ThreeBears because: Typos



posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeBears

Originally posted by n00bUK
Entertainment industry makes them slutty and now they have an another excuse other than YOLO to not wear protection. Wait for the rise in sexual transmitted infections,

How about cut sexual music content from radio/tv (before 10pm) stop letting fashion designers plaster our tv with women in size 0 clothes and next to nothing on there body. Whilst were at it, throw a few more million into proper sexual education, I don't know whats with politicians and there inability to solve problem, they just mask them up and prolong them.

Right now, this is an analogy of how it seems were teaching sexual education & throwing it down the necks of our youth..No pun intended


NO, WHAT CAUSES ALL THE STDs

Is the MEN who Insist on their Entitlement to pay to RAPE AND TORTURE SEX SLAVES, aka Prostitutes, MANY of whom are CHILDREN

PUT the Blame on where it Belongs, Rather than the Transferance/demonization game

NO little girls says, "hey mommy dady I wanna be a F toy when I grow up and get Infected with disease, HIV, unwanted pregnancies, permanent physical damage from all the Violence sexual in nature, etc etc etc...

THAT'S where the Diseases come from,

And the Culture of damaged females that Those "Entitlements" Create and Maintain.

Which is the FOUNDATION of the Entire "sexualizing" culture, or Rape Culture,

That infests Yes (agree with you on this point) the music, fashion and media culture,

But the ROOT of it, is the Entitlement MENtality, and That's what needs to be changed, in leaps and bounds.

In Other words, Sanitizing the Consumerist culture alone will NOT end STDs or exploitation, and females Self Denigrating themselves,

Not when there is a Protection of the Denigration of ALL females for an Industry that is the Destruction of All female source of Life,

It's like, cutting off one tentacle to the Octopus while preserving the rest of the beast. You have to cut off the head,

Or the tentacles simply grow back.
edit on 11-6-2013 by ThreeBears because: Typos


I'm actually agreeing with you but we need to go way to the Root of the problem, which IS the whole entitlement to a "sex class" mentality,

Until we go there, this saturation of the rape culture will only continue to get worse...by rape culture that Includes ALL of it, from trafficking to economic coercion to fundamentalist views on females to violence and commodifying females and children,

Too often the Females are blames for being "slutty" when they are trying to survive in a hostile misogynist world, where the sex class within the hierarchy is becoming even More commodified and at a dangerous ends.



posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeBears
 


Stop being so sexist and offending please.

I'm sorry you've been let down by men, but that's no reason to generalize like this.

edit on 11-6-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan
 


finally obama does something right



posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeBears
 


This pill is a god-send to pedophiles everywhere - abused girls everywhere - child trafficking and prostitution -

peophiles can have a supply on hand and feed it to his/their victims.

What happens to these girls who take these pills monthly? What happens to these girls that take these pills when they discover they're 2 months pregnant?

Just watch - good reasons to rob pharmacies - oxycodone and abortion pills.

These pills do not stop fertilization of the egg - they prevent "implantation" of the egg into the uterus.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1


These pills do not stop fertilization of the egg - they prevent "implantation" of the egg into the uterus.

It does both....
and the rest of your post was either delusional or stupid. I'm not quite sure which.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375
 


You obviously have no medical knowledge.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Okay, putting all emotionally charged drivel away and look at some Facts.



"Adolescent pregnancy is associated with higher rates of illness and death for both the mother and infant. Death from violence is the second leading cause of death during pregnancy for teens, and is higher in teens than in any other group.

Pregnant teens are at much higher risk of having serious medical complications such as:

Placenta previa
Pregnancy-induced hypertension
Premature delivery
Significant anemia
Toxemia

Infants born to teens are 2 - 6 times more likely to have low birth weight than those born to mothers age 20 or older. Prematurity plays the greatest role in low birth weight, but intrauterine growth retardation (inadequate growth of the fetus during pregnancy) is also a factor.

Teen mothers are more likely to have unhealthy habits that place the infant at greater risk for inadequate growth, infection, or chemical dependence. The younger a mother is below age 20, the greater the risk of her infant dying during the first year of life."source

Tolerability of levonorgestrel emergency contraception in adolescents

Objective:
We evaluated the tolerability of emergency contraception in adolescents.
Study design:
In this descriptive study, 1 0.75 mg levonorgestrel tablet was administered to 52
females aged 13-16 with instructions to take the second tablet 12 hours later (unprotected inter-
course was not an entry requirement). Participants kept diaries of side effects and menstrual pat-
terns. We assessed correct use, side effects caused by treatment, and impact on menstrual cycle.
Results:
Virtually all participants used the drug correctly, with no serious adverse events. Minor
expected side effects occurred, including nausea, fatigue, and vomiting. There was no difference in
reporting of side effects by age. Adolescents’ mean duration of menses was comparable pre- and
post-treatment
Conclusion:
Adolescents tolerated the medication well, experiencing transient side effects.


Next let's take a look at the reality behind all these social stigmas so many are quick to spout out. source

1.In a study of 3,055 adolescent girls, respondents who had been either
sexually or physically abused were approximately twice as likely to have
been pregnant as those who had no history of abuse. Those who experienced
both sexual and physical abuse were about four times as likely to have had a
pregnancy.

2.For some young people, having sex is not a voluntary choice. The youngest
teenagers are especially vulnerable to coercive sex. Some 74% of women
who had intercourse before age 14 and 60% of those who had sex before age
15, report having had sex involuntarily.

3.There is growing evidence that pregnant adolescents are at increased risk for
domestic violence. Pregnant teens that have been abused have significantly
greater risk for poor weight gain, first or second trimester bleeding, and
alcohol or drug abuse.

4.Parental Support/Connectedness
Many researchers have investigated the relation between adolescents’ sexual
behavior and family variables such as parental warmth, support, parent/
child closeness, and child attachment to parents. There is marked consistency
in this body of more than 20 studies (see Table 1); all but a few indicate
that parent/child closeness is associated with reduced adolescent pregnancy
risk through teens remaining sexually abstinent, postponing intercourse, having
fewer sexual partners, or using contraception more consistently.

The saying comes to mind "we care about the kids until they're born...than F^7 em'" right? Because it appears to me that too many people are so quick to punish children with bearing more children because "Children(or most likely victims of abuse) are whores and deserve the consequences of their underdeveloped brain decisions." ...or something like that.

Talk about setting people up to fail. Teens do alot of stupid, dangerous stuff that we as parents hope to prevent or stop so they won't grow up to carry on those behaviors, or more importantly have pay for the rest of their lives for some stupid decision they made when they were a kid. God forbid it's sex, then people wanna make that CHILD and their future grandkids pay for the rest of their everloving life!!!!



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Look, it's pretty simple. If women feel the need to take a pill the morning after, thats their business. The weight of the decision rests on them and if they are ok with it, who is anyone else to tell them different?

People need to take responsibility for their own decisions and choose their own paths. Right or wrong, it is NOT the governments place to allow or disallow. We are not talking about mid term abortions or snipping spines here, it's a morning after pill and it's none of the governments business.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious
 


Because it's not really a baby.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1
 


Moral implications aside. Leaving alone the question of right or wrong or the implications in a divine nature. It is most certainly not the governments decision.

It's the "morning after" for Gods sake........... Now, try to tell me that private employers should have to pay for this and I'll give you an epic battle but as it stands, it's a woman's choice. It's the morning after.......... Wan't to keep her in cage for a month after you drunkenly procreate with her?

Get real.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by kaylaluv
 


It's a bit convoluted.

What differentiates a child with bad parents vs a child with good parents when the onus is on the child to make an adult decision?

The government (and you) are saying that children with bad parents actually have a greater oppourtunity to make adult decisions for themselves.
What has trained them to make these adult decisions?
What has prepared them to make these adult decisions?

Bad parenting? Are you infering that bad parents produce better decision makers? Are you stating that having pre-marital sex infers that you are then capable of making an adult decision?



What adult decisions are you inferring? I certainly hope you don't think sex is an adult decision, as though at the age of 18, somehow sexuality and desire are magically gifted to us Sexuality is an innate quality that develops at a young age. Now, having sex responsibly and safely is something that requires education and coaching and hopefully a process that adults have.

Or is it having a baby that is an adult decision? Again, having babies requires no decision making process whatsoever, but having babies safely and responsibly is something that we would hope adults do.

As an adult, do I really need to have a good reason behind taking birth control? maybe I wanna get plastered next month on my birthday...is that Adult enough of a decision to not get pregnant? If a child doesn't want to get pregnant, I think they're cognitive enough to know they aren't ready blah blah blah...and most research supports that it's not the best idea because they don't have the skills, resources and mental faculties we would expect out of an adult.

Having a child, have a child, is in fact forcing adult responsibilities and characteristics that a child hasn't developed yet. How backwards is it to say they can't make the choice to not get pregnant because they aren't "adult" enough?


edit on 12-6-2013 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
Reading through this thread makes me realise how ignorant and backward some Americans really are.

In the UK we have a law called ''Ghillick Competant''. This is for minors, age does not necessary come into it and it covers a wide range of age of the minor. Basically, if a minor is deemed Ghillick competent, then the parents have no say over medications and medical procedures including abortions to the said minor. They don't even have a right to know about it. Confidentiality is between the patient (minor) and Doctor.


We have the same thing here. A court can determine if a teenager is capable of managing their own affairs and they are given "emancipated minor" status.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by theMediator

Originally posted by NavyDoc
What about a 13 year old with an infection but can't get antibiotics without a parent's consent?
What about a kid with debilitating migraines who can't get meds without his parent's consent?
Why, contrary to every other rule about parental consent, does this one medicine get a pass when all the other medicines for conditions that could be just as life altering and just a debilitating require parental consent?


Don't people need prescriptions to have medicine?
Doctors decide if medication should be taken.

Are you saying you would deny treatment if the parents don't consent to save their child from sickness when the child clearly shows symptoms easily treatable that have been diagnosed by a doctor?

Parents should be informed or course, but consent is something else.

Young girls in the need of taking morning afters pills have enough **** going on to additionally suffer the shame of "non-consent" parents.


Actually according to the law, absent a life or limb emergency situation, it is ILLEGAL to treat a minor without consent from a parent or a legal guardian.

Most states have exemptions for abortion, contraception, VD treatment, certain specific mental health issues, and HIV testing.

Notice that all of the exemptions tend to be political hotbed topics centered around sexuality. I can legally give your daughter an abortion without consent, but it is illegal for me to give her antibiotics for pneumonia. I think one can see the political pandering reasons for the exemptions of the law.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
My only concern is it turns all the younger generations into a bunch of STD whores who sleep with every Tim Dick and Harry.

.. but its wise, unwanted pregnancy in young people means on the child suffers...

any religious views against this should go back to the 1300's where they are from.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Perhaps not right for your daughter -- tell her not to buy those. Oh right you already told her to not have sex -- and how did that work. Your choice is to make her have a baby - yikes.

My teenage daughter isn't having sex. And if she did, she'd be using birth control AND a condom.
She's into getting her degree and traveling. She hates little kids.
So that's working just fine for us .. thanks for asking.



posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
They are not the same because there is no morality connected to the migraine etc.


There is? Some would argue that giving a 12 year old potentially mind altering and addictive medications is a moral issue. Besides, the state is supposed to be "morals" neutral. Why give make one treatment exempt when there is the exact same justification to make thousands of other treatments exempt too. To be consistent, we should take the parents out of the loop entirely and leave the decision to the professionals, no?



new topics

top topics



 
10
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join