It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New bill NJ; Police can confiscate cellphones at accident scenes ,no warrant.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hey guys ,I don't make the news,I just report it .
My stance on it is just that its a bad,invasive idea .

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I know it says it has nothing to do with the patriot act ,but given the patriot act now coverers everything else ,that's not far off.
All that fighting terror . It's not enough to just datamine our phones ,let's let cops go thru them now too .
Not buying it .

Just out of curiosity, what kind of phone or computer are you using that screws up the spacing and punctuation on your posts? Because it makes you look like an idiot.

And I doubt anyone is 'datamining' your phone. The tortured musings of an adolescent aren't that interesting, frankly.

Re the OP, if you're driving and get a phone call or want to make one, pull over and talk while completely stopped and out of traffic. If you can't pull over when your phone rings, call the person back when you can.

Otherwise you're an obvious menace to yourself and everyone else on the road; if it was only a Darwin event and you only harmed yourselves it would be one thing. I'm all for the cops checking phones to see if they were in use at the moment of an accident and I'm *almost* in favor of summary execution for anyone talking and driving at the same time as an accident. Can't you people shut up just for the time it takes you to drive from one place to another? Really????

What part of 'people are getting killed by your selfishness and stupidity' do you not get? A car is a loaded weapon; if you don't think so, give the keys to a five year old and see what happens.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The law should be struck down because it's government waste and redundant - the NSA already has the info!!?!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
One more thing.....the police can request your license, proof of insurance and registration because they're issued by the state and/or every motorist is required by law to have them.

If the state wants to start issuing state paid for cell phones I will be happy to comply. Until then - SUCK IT NJ!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have an app that would work for most phones.

Drop the phone into a cup of coffee, soda or water if you have one in the cup holder of your car.

I have not owned a cell phone yet that works after it has been submerged in liquid.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by PtolemyII

I'd considered getting an app installed or writing one myself if I couldn't find it, which would do a full dump and delete on my phone's contents by a single command. I know it can be found within system settings, but who is thinking with the time after something happens to need it? On the truck, there were a number of reasons that need may have come up at a given moment. None of them good.

It sounds like it's not just a good idea for a "kill switch" at this point, it's going on necessity. Just don't trust one bought who you don't know the author for. Anything could be written in to allow a bypass to restore data ..unless you write it yourself or someone you know.

Then hand them a clean...even bricked phone if the situation warrants...and watch them just want to stomp up and down. They cannot find what isn't there anymore. They should't be looking in the first place.

Simple enough on Android - [Settings] [Back up and Reset] [Factory Data Reset]
There's also the option to back up data to Google Servers.

Imagine if you could have the option to brick the phone until all data had been saved, or even a "lifeboat" option where the data was saved to the nearest other cellphones until it could be transferred back up to a server by wi-fi.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

That is a tough one. Technically a cop can't stop you unless you have done something wrong like ride over the double yellow or California roll through a stop sign or you're missing a tag or your seat belt, swerving, erratic or reckless driving. I always ask them, why are you stopping me, because they have to have reasonable cause. I guess now they can grab my cell phone but I hardly ever carry one. I can't walk and text so I sure am not going to text and drive. Of course if they didn't take the phone, there wouldn't be an easy way for them to get you for texting and driving. This whole country is going to hell imo.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This is already UK law and has been for years. British Police do it all the time. Normally only after a serious Road Traffic Collision, but can seize a mobile phone even if it isn't suspected of having been used. However it is seized and sent to an e-crime unit for triage and not just a quick scroll through the call history. Also it can take weeks/months until you get your mobile phone returned.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
They'll get the information they need one way or another...if not from your phone then from the phone company. Dropping it in water isn't going to save you there.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
They'll get the information they need one way or another...if not from your phone then from the phone company. Dropping it in water isn't going to save you there.

A good point.
The question is if they would bother with going to the phone company.
I watched a person driving down the street on the wrong side. There was a cop watching the whole thing, and he didn't bother going after them. Sometimes it is too much work to prevent an accident, I guess they would rather eat a donut.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join