It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military told not to read Obama-scandal news

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
And I'm confused. If it's a news story, how can it be classified?

While this may be off the topic, I don't like or trust Obama much anymore. I think the people who said "Obama, Romney, there the same and will do the same things," were seriously mistaken.

They did the same thing with the Wikileaks material and it's a serious issue not a freedom of speech thing. The regs for those guys are dead serious about Classified material. As they said in the Wikileaks case and why..of course I say I never personally read them (of course I didn't! Just heard about them...
) Classified doesn't suddenly become unclassified by public disclosure and display. It's still classified material and still highly improper or outright illegal to view and handle if you ARE a person with a Classification clearance yourself.

They're saving them from a possible career derailing or even ending screw up by the regs...not trying to restrict speech. The idea the guys aren't aware of it all is kinda silly. For all we know though, there could be things coded into the documents which their computers will quietly alert on seeing as unauthorized classified material.

I have no idea how all that 'codes which aren't codes' crap works for "tagging" classified material. I just know it does, in fact, happen that way. So... A different way to look at it.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Kinda silly when AFN carries FOX NEWS.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for the thread, Loam.
It looks really bad when servicemen anywhere are forbidden from
getting the news, it's almost as bad as no mail call. Sometimes worse..
just wow. When even the MSM is getting treated like Tokyo Rose? WTF

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

again, the title of this post is a lie....it's not "Obama-scandal"...it's the data-mining by the NSA they were told not to read about on military computers...it's the BUSH-SCANDAL NEWS, since this was put into place by A REPUBLICAN president and a REPUBLICAN congress with the "patriot act"....I disagree with the action taken, but to insinuate that this was set-up and operated by Obama is simply not the truth.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

True...and as I read this, it's very very specific. It doesn't say they can't read it. It says they cannot access it on NIPRNET computer systems. So...apparently, NIPERNET has some real trip wires or scanners they figure the documents might well trigger and send their security teams off on wild goose chases about. That's my guess.

They might just cook the goose at the end of the chase out of sheer annoyance for having been called out, too.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Your taking this out of context...it says not to look at potentially classified documents on an unclassified machine.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If this is represented accurately--and coming from the awesome Loam that's pretty much a given--I can positively assert that such practice is consistent with Cult and mind-control practices. All Hail the Mighty Obama...or suffer.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Y2KJMan
While I cannot know the intents of those at the top echelons of the military in their want of junior airmen not reading stories on this, I can easily say that this is not what you guys are thinking.

In the DoD (Department of Defense) there are multiple different networks that are segregated from eachother with differing classification capabilities. NIPR is what those airmen are on, and whether or not the documents have been leaked and are on The Guardian or MSNBC or Fox... those docs are still marked with the classification they originally had. Until they are scrubbed and deemed free, NIPR cannot have them on that network. Its just the standard SOP.

Its a big enough deal that something that is not as classified makes it to NIPR, to scrub the machine, the govt spends in excess of 10k to have the leak contained and fixed. EACH individual piece of data.

You can still read the articles off of NIPR, so is not like the military is being sequestered...
edit on 6/10/2013 by Y2KJMan because: added last line

Exactly! But people won't see that, they'll see "Ohhhhh the military is being censored, their rights violated!" It's a govt network and govt computers.

It's a serious pain when classified info makes it on to the NIPR network. And Officers more often than not are the main culprits.

This part of the OP....

The notice applies to users of the Air Force NIPRNET (Non-classified Internet Protocol Router Network), which is the only way that many troops stationed overseas and on bases in the U.S. are able to access the Internet.

is complete BS.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This constitutes further illustration of military mindlessness in the face of any oblique threat.......
The point is that they are incapable of dealing with reality becausde regulations do NOT include that in it.)
Compartmentalised morons is what they are become.....
with compartmented brains...leaving them forever dissociated with normal people and normal reality.
The goverment further MARGINALISES the VETS to make sure they have no COHESIVE VOICE in America.
Should they ever find that voice, i am positive they would make the rafters ring in the halls of government.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Orwellian much?

Why don't they just install a net nanny on the niprnet computers and censor those naughty classified words for those pathetic little Air Force children who have to shield their eyes from words like Verizon? Imagine the dummy who didn't get the memo, does he go to Air Force hell for looking? These folks now know less than the common reader, what else are they missing?

Verizon ist verboten. Come, join the Air Force, we have book burning parties every Thursday afternoon.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
reply to post by loam

I can only imagine what damage would be done if it was revealed that returning military were all on a watch list

News flash: returning military are on a watch list. I think it's four to six months that they are on a sensitive list. Wouldn't want them leaking like a sieve about battle plans or spilling beans on the news. I think the FBI keeps that list, or the DHS now, but even Korean War veterans understood that. Well they signed into their work and that includes some secrecy rules, which last for a long time.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

The TPTB fear is growing by the day. How stupid do they think people are. The truth will find a way into every heart and mind in this once great country.

This kind of crap makes them look weak and fearful. This is kinda getting scary as the days go by.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
There was a time when I would have been very proud to have a child of mine join the US Military.
Now I'd just fear for their safety and I would highly discourage that child from joining.
Very sad.

Id encourage them to join purely so they can learn how to fight so we could have one more veteran that sided with the Constitution and the American people able to properly defend against tyranny. Granted, I would worry to death about the brainwashing, drugs, vaccinations they give the troops these days.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

While this may be off the topic, I don't like or trust Obama much anymore. I think the people who said "Obama, Romney, there the same and will do the same things," were seriously mistaken.

How could you know this for sure?
You couldn't!
The red and blue parties are the same and are just an illusion of choice!
They all lie to get into office Romney, Obama, Bush, ETC!
I don't see any difference!
If you are going to lie while campaigning then you can not be trusted and Romney did plenty of lying!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

They did the same thing with the Wikileaks material and it's a serious issue not a freedom of speech thing. The regs for those guys are dead serious about Classified material. As they said in the Wikileaks case and why..of course I say I never personally read them (of course I didn't! Just heard about them...
) Classified doesn't suddenly become unclassified by public disclosure and display. It's still classified material and still highly improper or outright illegal to view and handle if you ARE a person with a Classification clearance yourself.

They're saving them from a possible career derailing or even ending screw up by the regs...not trying to restrict speech. The idea the guys aren't aware of it all is kinda silly. For all we know though, there could be things coded into the documents which their computers will quietly alert on seeing as unauthorized classified material.

I have no idea how all that 'codes which aren't codes' crap works for "tagging" classified material. I just know it does, in fact, happen that way. So... A different way to look at it.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Thank you for clearing this up for me, cause it made no sense to me in the OPs post!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

As a federal government Cybersecurity civil servant, I can explain to you why this is.
The NSA slides that were leaked are labeled TOP SECRET / SCI / NOFORN. They are classified.
The NSA and Federal Government have not officially unclassified those documents. Hence, they remain classified documents and the viewing of those on Unclassified systems is considered a spillage of classified information.

It might seem silly, but that is our standard operating procedure. Classified information remains in the classified domain, whereas unclassified information remains in the unclassified domain. When classified information inadverntly moves from it's domain into the unclassified domain, we refer to that as a "Spillage".
When the need arrives to move classified information into the unclassified domain, there are procedures for doing that. It's called a "Cross Domain Solution" and involves scrubbing the classified data to allow it to cross into a unclassified domain.

Another ancilliary reason for this is training. If the Government / Military allowed us to view classified material on an unclassified system, then some might percieve that as a change to the standard operating procedures. In this light, enforcing the rules (albiet silly in some respects) ensures that everyone is on the same page when it comes to handling classified material.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon
reply to post by loam

As a federal government Cybersecurity civil servant, I can explain to you why this is.
The NSA slides that were leaked are labeled TOP SECRET / SCI / NOFORN. They are classified.
The NSA and Federal Government have not officially unclassified those documents. Hence, they remain classified documents and the viewing of those on Unclassified systems is considered a spillage of classified information.

It might seem silly, but that is our standard operating procedure. Classified information remains in the classified domain, whereas unclassified information remains in the unclassified domain. When classified information inadverntly moves from it's domain into the unclassified domain, we refer to that as a "Spillage".
When the need arrives to move classified information into the unclassified domain, there are procedures for doing that. It's called a "Cross Domain Solution" and involves scrubbing the classified data to allow it to cross into a unclassified domain.

Another ancilliary reason for this is training. If the Government / Military allowed us to view classified material on an unclassified system, then some might percieve that as a change to the standard operating procedures. In this light, enforcing the rules (albiet silly in some respects) ensures that everyone is on the same page when it comes to handling classified material.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, makes sense too. This was discussed in this thread about this same subject. It is standard operating procedure.

When you sign your life to the military / government you do just that -- become their servant obeying their rules.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon
reply to post by loam

Hope that helps.

Yup, I can verify that as I just took all my annual training requirements on Cyber/Informational Awarness training an exams on Ft.gordan's IA site. There are a lot of SOPs involved and spillage is a huge concern along with a bunch of other things not mentioned.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I just came into work and recieved this exact email, NOTAM.

This is a bunch of to do about nothing. First off, nipr is not the only way guys overseas can acess the internet. When I was in Afghanistan I had free WiFi in the building I lived in. With no blocking. Nipr is basically how we do work email and other stuff, it's an unclassified work computer.

So, since the leak is top secret, dowloading it or viewing it on a nipr computer is not allowed because of the classification. Wow, stop the presses. TOTALITARIAN POLICE STATE! THE MILITARY IS BRAINWASHED!1!11!1

The responses to this thread gave me a good chuckle.
edit on 12-6-2013 by THE666OCCULT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join