It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Bass Guitar Shop Project - Solid Body Custom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Enough with conspiracies! I thought it would be fun to post some pictures of a new project in my shop. I'll post two videos. The first video is a slideshow of the current project. The second is a tour of my shop. I currently have one other project in the shop (A Grand Piano Restoration).

I've had the bass neck for quite some time and finally had the chance to get the project going this week. As you look at the pictures, you'll notice that the body takes shape gradually. This is my 13th Bass guitar. I mostly build them for myself. I sell one and build another every six months to a year. My last bass went out the door a few months ago and this one will replace it until next summer. I typically make the necks, but this was one from Carvin Guitars. It generally takes me two weeks to construct a bass from start to finish. I do not take orders. One bass at a time and they are all unique.

You will notice, as the slides progress, the body takes shape slowly. Several of the early pictures are rough cuts. My process goes from rough cut, to angle grinder sander, to file, to sanding and finally buffer sander. The last picture shows the sealer coat. Next week, I will complete the finish and install the hardware. I will post finished pictures when the project is complete next week so you can see the finished project. The hardware is both black and gold.

Tour of the Shop

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Thats one bad lookin mofo. Is it cheaper to make one, comparing it to one in store of similar quality?

You should show us your others.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Thats one bad lookin mofo. Is it cheaper to make one, comparing it to one in store of similar quality?

You should show us your others.

I spend around $600 on hardware. I have ordered basses from the internet for $250 and used the hardware and pickups from them before. Typically, the pickups are cheap. I use Bartolini pickups. They are superior to anything I have used in the past. I use Carvin EQ and tuners. They are reasonably priced. The neck runs around $250 to buy. The ones I make cost me around $50, but the time it takes to fret the neck is involved. You can build a bass if you have the ability to make templates for routing. The routing is the difficult part to get right. For shaping the body and necks, I use an angle grinder with a lapped sanding bit. It cuts the wood like butter. After that, I use a file to refine the shape and then a sander. After doing this for some time now, I have it down to a science.

Here are some other pics.

This is one I wish I would have kept. I stretch the bottom wing out so that neck dive is eliminated.

I also do my headstock different than usual and fan out the tuners.

Six String

I made this one for a guy in Japan

Another Six String Fretless

This next one is the second bass I had ever made. It was a good bass, but not nearly as nice as the ones above.

And then there is base One. Ouch! The guy that bought it LOVE IT! It was a hollow body fretless and did have a great sound. It was made entirely from wood off an old piano. The hardware was purchased from pawn shops for under $40. The guy that bought it swore it was the best fretless he had ever played. Had a real growl to it.

edit on 8-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
That's pretty sweet woodwork, interesting shape you choose. What wood are you using on the 3 piece body? I've been eyeing off my redgum coffee table I built 15 years ago... If you get what I mean... It's a good inch thick with some sweet looking grain....

Can I ask what is going on with the huge undercut, seems like you've got access for a 30 fret neck? Just curious because I've been thinking of trying to build myself a guitar one day.

(Also wanted to say it looks like your channeling the head of Max from "Sam and Max"!)

edit on 8-6-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Nice shop. All the Bass Guitars are awesome. I can tell you put a lot of love into it and have a talent for woodworking.

I play a little acoustic but in no way have the time or patience to build one. I admire your patience.

edit on 8-6-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Can I ask what is going on with the huge undercut, seems like you've got access for a 30 fret neck? Just curious because I've been thinking of trying to build myself a guitar one day.

Are you referring to this one:

I made this one for George Schroeder out in LA. The fretboard goes all the way to the first pickup. I can't remember now how many frets that would be, but it was way up there. He wanted a giant bass that was light. I used mahogany and some other light woods. Steve Evans is pictured on Georges website playing the bass: Schroeder Cabinets

The bass I am building now is made from burled walnut and maple. The lower wing has some amazing flaming and I normally try to leave a knotted part somewhere on the body. This knot is ridiculous and deep. I think it may have been a lightening strike in the wood. When I add more pictures next week, I'll make sure to do some closeups and maybe play it on a video so you can hear it. There is nothing like playing a custom bass. There is simply no comparison to anything else you can play. It's like driving a BMW Z4 in comparison to a Jeep.

edit on 8-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I play a custom made Carvin double scale fret less..

love that Bass..

your basses are nice but odd in a way..still cool though...nice shop..

I love your "Illuminati" floor...hehehehe...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
I play a custom made Carvin double scale fret less..

love that Bass..

your basses are nice but odd in a way..still cool though...nice shop..

I love your "Illuminati" floor...hehehehe...

I built the shop 10 years ago and had never really studied Freemasonry that much. Sometime around 2006 I started studying it heavenly. That's when I noticed the floor and arch and pillar entrance I had built a few years before. Strange in a way. I think that design shows up so much in architecture these days that it is ingrained in our minds. Looking back, it seems very funny.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Like someone has already said, you are patience and obviously hard working. An electric bass is all about sound and balance and user friendly, a simple instrument..

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
What a wonderful and rewarding hobby! Your workshop is so beautiful, spacious, neat and tidy! I noticed what looked like a couple of nice pieces of antique furniture in there. Good job! Keep up the good work!!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Beautiful work. When i eventually stop living in apartments and get a house, i want to have a work shop like that.
Your work reminds me of an old friend of mine. He started started building his 1st bass a long time ago, self taught.

brownebasses.com

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
You play that base and you qualify for the sound track of the Second coming...i bet its got a heavenly rumble......

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

Thanks for posting this. I find too that reading all this conspiracy stuff goes against personal achievement and creativity. It leaves one feeling mad and like others control them.

By creating some good, you remind me that we do control our own world, and help to realize that a lot of conspiracy is just made up so people will click on a link so that an advertisement can get a hit, so the person who wrote the conspiracy can get paid.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
As a bass player I found this enthralling! Good luck to you sir!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
My friend has a Sukop like the second and third pics on the page. Baddest guitar Ive ever seen up close and personal. Yours are even wilder looking than that. I bet my friend would be interested. I'll have to show him this page someday he'll enjoy looking at these.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Took a trip today to get strings. Put on the 2nd coat of finish. Made the knobs and EQ cover and one small flame looking truss rod cover. I plan on putting it all together tonight.

Here is an interesting video of factory made basses being built in batches of 4000+ at a time. I do my basses one at a time. Every bass is different.

edit on 10-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
As a bass player myself your shop and your work is awesome

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Nearing Completion. EQ tomorrow with knobs.

edit on 11-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The bass is finally finished as of today. I played it Sunday at Church and it was amazing! Here are the completed pics.

top topics

join