It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Pick My Next Sermon or show what a jerk you are.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

On the other hand, to come out of the gate spewing insults and hate doesn't do any good for anybody involved. If someone is so insecure about what they want to say that they need to preemptively insult people, its time they look at themselves instead of everybody else.

But it wasn't directed at anyone. Just in a preemptive manner towards anyone who wanted to troll the thread rather than post on topic. The only people who would be offended by that would be the people who did in fact plan of being a jerk rather than rational dialogue.
edit on 8-6-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical

So women weren't allowed to whisper among themselves? Why were men allowed to talk but not women?

The culture was one that women looked to their husbands as the spiritual leader of the household.

Not in Corinth.

Women in Religion
Women often served as priestesses and prophetesses in Greek religion. The most famous oracle in all Greece was the one at Delphi, the "earth's navel" (Euripides Ion line 6). But the prophet there was a woman, a prophetess (cf. Euripides Ion lines 42, 91, 321). In describing that oracle, Plutarch (Moralia, The Oracles at Delphi 405c-d [§23]) tells that a maiden became a prophetic priestess. At times there was more than one prophetess there, but Plutarch (Moralia, Obsolescence of Oracles 414b [§8]) states that there was only one priestess at Delphi in his time. With this in mind, the reader can understand why in a section on prophecy and speaking in tongues, Paul found it necessary to discuss the principle which the churches followed about women keeping silent in the assembly. It would run against a Greek's upbringing to suggest that there was a time and place when a prophetess should not speak.
web.ovc.edu...

And not in Ephesus either

These wars did not much affect daily life in Ephesus. The Ephesians were surprisingly modern in their social relations. They allowed strangers to integrate. Education was much valued. Through the cult of Artemis, the city also became a bastion of women's rights. Ephesus even had female artists. In later times, Pliny the Elder mentioned having seen at Ephesus a representation of the goddess Diana by Timarata, the daughter of a painter.
en.wikipedia.org...

Paul was attempting to counter the female influence on religion in Greece.

It didn't really change anything because Paul still singled out women and not men. Were women only allowed to talk to their spouses back then? I find that hard to believe.

Men were much more educated in the Torah back then, not the women usually. Their questions were usually directed at the men because they were the ones being taught the Torah from the age of 12.

Again.. it's not really applicable today in our culture and church architecture.

But Paul's mission was the conversion of the Gentiles. (Greek Pagans) He wasn't all that concerned with Christian Jews and teaching the Torah, except to back up his "new" philosophy.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Dear xDeadcowx, Save your baloney for someone who cares. Believe what you wish. Some responders were insincere, can you not see that, did you correct them? No you did not because you support all nastiness aimed at believers. You were being a jerk by the way, you did not respond in a relevant way to my OP, you did not give something constructive to me to say to a congregation of believers.You made no effort to give me something that I might talk about with believers who want to know how to be better.

How exactly am i supposed to know what you consider to be relevant? You asked for something for a sermon and i provided what i felt was a fitting piece of scripture to work off of. You don't have to use it, you have ever right to disregard what i posted and move on. You decided not to do so. That is your problem, not mine. Not once did i insult you, yet you feel the need to insult me? Why?

It is not my job to correct other people in your thread, it is not my job to somehow psychically predict what you would consider relevant or constructive. I sense you are an angry person who lashes out at anything that doesn't fit inside the bubble of how you think others should act. As i said before, your hostility and anger toward me should cause you to look inside yourself because i have not said or done anything out of line.

DC

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Dear xDeadcpwx,

How exactly am i supposed to know what you consider to be relevant? You asked for something for a sermon and i provided what i felt was a fitting piece of scripture to work off of. You don't have to use it, you have ever right to disregard what i posted and move on. You decided not to do so. That is your problem, not mine. Not once did i insult you, yet you feel the need to insult me? Why? It is not my job to correct other people in your thread, it is not my job to somehow psychically predict what you would consider relevant or constructive. I sense you are an angry person who lashes out at anything that doesn't fit inside the bubble of how you think others should act. As i said before, your hostility and anger toward me should cause you to look inside yourself because i have not said or done anything out of line.

Sunshine, you were helping others and trying to add to the conversation or you were not. Do you not know what your intent was, it is apparent to everyone else, even those who agree with you. Do you really feel insulted, I will post quotes from your past threads and posts and then we can discuss appropriateness, Wanna play? You can post quotes from my past threads. Everytime someone starts by lying I have little concern over their games. I corrected a super moderator and he has yet to respond. If you wish to play games and be cute with words expect that I might call you on it. It is very simple, let people be them, let them believe what they will, answer questions truthfully and see where the conversation leads. Or, be a jerk and try be cute and tricky, you know what you were attempting to do or worse yet, maybe you didn't.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

You know what, im done with you.

Feel free to look over my posting history, fill this thread to the brim with everything i have ever said and critique me on every last word. If you feel the need to do so, be my guest.

Keep on interpreting everything you read in to what you want it mean, it seems to be working out well for you.

DC

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Dear sunshine,

How exactly am i supposed to know what you consider to be relevant? You asked for something for a sermon and i provided what i felt was a fitting piece of scripture to work off of. You don't have to use it, you have ever right to disregard what i posted and move on. You decided not to do so. That is your problem, not mine. Not once did i insult you, yet you feel the need to insult me? Why? It is not my job to correct other people in your thread, it is not my job to somehow psychically predict what you would consider relevant or constructive. I sense you are an angry person who lashes out at anything that doesn't fit inside the bubble of how you think others should act. As i said before, your hostility and anger toward me should cause you to look inside yourself because i have not said or done anything out of line. Sunshine, you were helping others and trying to add to the conversation or you were not. Do you not know what your intent was, it is apparent to everyone else, even those who agree with you. Do you really feel insulted, I will post quotes from your past threads and posts and then we can discuss appropriateness, Wanna play? You can post quotes from my past threads. Everytime someone starts by lying I have little concern over their games. I corrected a super moderator and he has yet to respond. If you wish to play games and be cute with words expect that I might call you on it. It is very simple, let people be them, let them believe what they will, answer questions truthfully and see where the conversation leads. Or, be a jerk and try be cute and tricky, you know what you were attempting to do or worse yet, maybe you didn't. signature:

Your words and mine, let others decide who meant what. Please tell us who you were attempting to help or if you were only attempting to create division with. LOL.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by borntowatch

I would suggest treating people with respect and not calling any one an idiot or jerk comes to mind. letting go of arrogance and self righteousness and loving others compassionately what ever they do have done. Dont think you are for real though, you shouldnt be in ministry. I will say good luck because your attitude is not going to be blessed.

I always find it amusing when non-believers tell believers how they must act. Christian does not mean victim, it doesn't mean we cannot have opinions or that we have to ignore attacks. Do you reccommend that Atheists ignore it when people who call themselves christians tell you that you are going to hell if you disagree with them (which is something I do not believe)?

Dear AQuestion.
My question still stands unanswered
Where in the OT or NT does God call any one a donkey/ass.
Its not a tricky question, no agenda and nothing more than a querie from somebody searching for the truth.

I dont think you know Gods word as well as you claim

JAK

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

AQuestion, firstly that 'LMAO' isn't the dismissive stamp of authority you may believe is one of the underlying messages which I believe were being offered you.

You asked for advice on the theme for a sermon and you received replies which addressed that. You asked in a particularly aggressive and churlish manner and you received replies which reflected that. (Treat others... springs to mind).

If you now think it was less than wise to frame your question so there are a number of ways you could address it but threads, as with any conversation, flow. This is something I should imagine, being in the position you are, you would understand quite easily; that one question leads to another and so on and due to your choice of title yours was always likely to flow in a certain direction. Indeed so apparent, so inevitable would that seems that some have been led to question your claimed position and actual intent.

If you genuinely fail to see that your choice of title bears any responsibility for the flavour or replies the thread garnered then, well, there's not really much left to do is there. Although if that were the case I'd suggest you start reading again from the beginning and perhaps from a less defensive, more objective position. Calling for members to be actioned under T&C's because things aren't moving along as you might wish really isn't good form.

Do you also find it judgemental when non-believers say that believers are delusional? Just asking you to be objective and fair.

Well, delusional might be a strong word but I suppose, like much in life, it's dependant on the context. If it were offered as a blanket statement out of the blue (the title of a thread for example) I might consider unnecessarily aggressive and unproductive in regards to allowing room for a meeting of minds where constructive debate could blossom. Then again (and this is a general consideration) some people are unhealthily attached to a particular viewpoint in which case that phrase might appear valid indeed to the person who offers it. I think everything needs consideration in context. As a quick example of a kind I was discussing morality with a friend the other day and considered if even the act itself wasn't relegated to a position of secondary authority when considered alongside the intent. (This may seem absurd to you but I have a limited understanding in such matters, I would genuinely welcome a U2U if you wish to address the point).

I honestly don't care though who is hypocritical/delusional in their argument, I really don't. I just don't like to see it, at all. For me our inability or outright refusal to honestly address an issue and admit fault with it simply because of a personal bias is a failing which anchors us to bad thinking and which if we could overcome would, I believe, drastically improve our lot both individually and as a species. I do think we are all guilty at times because it's a human failing.

'Tis not contrary to reason to prefer the destruction of the whole world to the scratching of my finger. David Hume ~ A Treatise on Human Nature

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Bertrand Russell ~ Proposed Roads to Freedom

There are times though where we may fall into this trap because of a genuine inability to recognise the situation, to recognise the danger. There, to me, is an innocence and something to be handled gently. Then there are times where we are knowingly obstinate or peevishly obtuse and here is where sympathy is a generous and gift rather than a thing to be expected and certainly not a thing to be demanded; somewhere we should take it on the chin, admit our errors and simply try to be better next time.
edit on 9/6/13 by JAK because: splelleing

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

1 Timothy was addressed to his friend and pastor Timothy. It was in the church Timothy was pastoring. I never said it was the spiritual environment of the pagan cultures in Asia Minor.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Dear JAK,

You asked for advice on the theme for a sermon and you received replies which addressed that. You asked in a particularly aggressive and churlish manner and you received replies which reflected that. (Treat others... springs to mind).

Your response was interesting. Yes, I asked for advice; but, I receieved many comments that were not advice. Did you miss that? Do you truly believe that ridicule for being a believer is advice to what I asked? You called me judgemental for saying that answers that were not responsive came from jerks, am I wrong to say that? Are your wrong for not addressing that? Let me know the rules of engagement. I said it up front in hopes of avoiding imbeciles talking garbage which is nonresponsive. I do not know you, we have not had many conversations that I recall. I am more than happy to U2U and get to understand each other better; but, to expect me to be pleasant as I am attacked just because I am believer is foolish, that means you do not understand what I believe and I do not believe Christian means victim or fool.

My friends mother is dying and I have to give a sermon. I am a regular contributor here, I have friends here and was looking for help. I am so judgmental because I believe that people who respond to requests should be on topic or just ignore me, that is so judgmental and you as a moderator did nothing to assist and instead attacked me. Lets try this, you say "treat others as you wish to be treated", LOL, really. If I responded to every comment and thread that Atheists made by telling what imbeciles they were, would that be acceptable because that is how I was treated. Would you as a super moderator delete my thread? Is it just a question of perspective or approach.

I am not objective, I have opinions, you claim be objective but are not, you have opinions too. By the way, I do appreciate the effort it takes to be a moderator and know that you are not paid for such things. I don't get paid for preaching either. Think it takes effort to preach and give people money so they can survive? Shame on you. If you wish ask Hefficide who I truly am, he knows my real name and how I make my living. Hey, you could have said "Sorry that your friends mother is dying" and then given me constructive suggestions. You did not. I would suck as a moderator and may suck as a preacher, I do what I can and did not ask to be a preacher, I was asked to be one. The lead pastor, the guy whose mother is dying, yeah, he risked his job to even talk to me. Any details on him and I would be strictly U2U.

You accused me of be judgmental. How many of the people that attack Christians do you call judgmental?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Weren't most of Timothy's congregation converts of the pagan traditions and culture of Ephesus?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Weren't most of Timothy's congregation converts of the pagan traditions and culture of Ephesus?

Not initially. Timothy was sent to pastor the church at Ephesus much later. The church at Ephesus was founded by the apostle John.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I can not help you to pick a sermon. However i can make few suggestions.

1. Speak about the two great commandments. Matthew 22:37-40
2. Speak about the beatitudes Matthew 5:3-10
3. Talk about the "Persistent Widow" and "Pharisse and the tax collector", maybe the "prodigal son"parabels from Luke.
4. Speak about Matthew 6:34
5. Speak about the importance of actions Matthew 25:31-46

Peace

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The Book of Corinthians was addressed to the Corinthians and the Book of Ephesians was addressed to the Ephesians. Are you trying to say that these churches were not filled with converts of pagan traditions and cultures?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

The Book of Corinthians was addressed to the Corinthians and the Book of Ephesians was addressed to the Ephesians. Are you trying to say that these churches were not filled with converts of pagan traditions and cultures?

Corinth was a crazy church. Christians gone wild basically. Instead of having communion they were engaging in communal sex. They were getting together and getting drunk at the Lord's supper, and they were suing each other. It was a pretty crazy church morally for several years at first.

But Paul never said that women should never be teachers. The Greek for teaching men is actually about a woman having authority over her husband, not about spiritual authority over men in general. In fact, as pointed out earlier, Paul praises numerous women in other epistles for their faithful work in the ministry.

edit on 9-6-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Take the bible and ask for guidance to open it to the right page. This will give you what you need to start with. I asked how Jesus knew what to say and my question was answered. The authors of this reality will help you write the sermon about the right subject, timing is everything.

God IS the word. God is a communication.
edit on 9-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Wow you really have a complex you know.
In the future do not post a thread such as this, it is fine asking for a sermon but the way you refuse other peoples thoughts and resort to name calling (also in the post Iam responding to).
Like I said If you do not like questions which do not support your beliefs go to a Christian website.

You started the thread and put in fighting talk, you instigated this in the first post calling others names and acting like a ass.
Shame on Jax? he was bang on right shame on you more like.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Wow you really have a complex you know.
In the future do not post a thread such as this, it is fine asking for a sermon but the way you refuse other peoples thoughts and resort to name calling (also in the post Iam responding to).
Like I said If you do not like questions which do not support your beliefs go to a Christian website.

You started the thread and put in fighting talk, you instigated this in the first post calling others names and acting like a ass.
Shame on Jax? he was bang on right shame on you more like.

I never saw him say he didn't want a point of view different from his own. He basically told people that wanted to be jerks or trolls basically that their participation wasn't wanted. That's totally different. People who want to be a jerk for that sake really offer nothing g of any substance anywhere to any thread.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Really? so telling us that certain people are not allowed to comment on his thread is alright by your book then?
The guy is a first class troll, he knew what he typed would annoy some of us, that is why he did it.
If you choose to believe this thread is really about a sermon he has imagined up well well you can't read between his lines.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Really? so telling us that certain people are not allowed to comment on his thread is alright by your book then?
The guy is a first class troll, he knew what he typed would annoy some of us, that is why he did it.
If you choose to believe this thread is really about a sermon he has imagined up well well you can't read between his lines.

I see nothing wrong with preemptively telling trolls or jerks that their trolling isn't welcome. You see that kind of statement in many OPs of threads. I don't know who would take offense to that statement other than folks who would enter the thread for the sole purpose of either being a jerk or trolling.

And who cares if trolls get butthurt? I sure don't, let em cry.

edit on 9-6-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join