It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Pick My Next Sermon or show what a jerk you are.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
How about a sermon on the evils of usury? The New Testament, the Torah, and the Koran all speak against usury, yet this evil sin has become part of the fabric of our society. If usury got half the religious backlash that abortion or gay marriage did, we would be well on our way to freeing ourselves from the shackles of debt slavery.

Be sure to mention that the only time Jesus became physically violent was when he was kicking the money changers out of the temple.

Dear VictorVonDoom,

I have actually taught on that and how the markets are all manipulated. I have taught about the corruption in the current economic system and where it is headed. We have a projector and we can connect it to a laptop to show things from the internet. I have actually used things from ATS to show articles about the economic system. Right in line with what you said, something happened in England after the banksters were exposed. They had the banksters and some politicians hold a version of "town hall meetings" in England to discuss how the financial system was right and they held them in the churches which I found very ironic and right in line with the episode you mentioned when the money changers used the church to conduct business.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Dear Deetermined,

I think it's funny that one of the issues in the link is about women being easily deceived as the reason for not being in ministry, but I think we should take a look at the history of the men who were deceived by the women. Men have their weaknesses and women have theirs. I think men's biggest weaknesses have to do with women. One of the more popular female goddesses that they followed led a lot of them into prostitution. I apologize to the OP for being off topic, but thought it was a question that deserved an answer.

Thank you for your input. Yes, it was a little off topic; but, you were responding to someone who was already off topic. I have to be translated and currently we have a female translator. She is not an elder nor church leader; but, she certainly does her part or I would not be able to do mine. Obviously there is a place for women in the church, I just didn't want to get into defining the roles in this thread, I was really just looking for some honest suggestions and the person who brought up the issue of women in the church was neither attempting to be honest or helpful. I think you responded to them quite nicely. Peace.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I'd tell you to preach about the Feast Days and their New Testament significance, very few christians today even know what they are or what they relate to. If you want to understand why things are the way they are now, then you need to look into the past.

This teaching, may be of some use to those who do not fully understand who Christ is and what was and is and is to come:

Teaching on Christ
edit on 8-6-2013 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

Dear lonewolf19792000,

That could actually be a really useful tool. Each of the feasts was meant to remind the people of a different aspect of why they should learn and appreciate different messages. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Sorry OP goto a Christian only website If you only want to have Christians respond, thing is I just do not believe you one bit, not after this..
edit on 8-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: My humour is not worth a troll thread like this one.

Dear boymonkey74,

I cannot expect people to be responsive and on topic on ATS? I did not ask anyone to believe in God or ask them if they did nor even attempt to tell them they should therefore many responses were completely off topic and merely confrontational. As you were unresponsive, you were the troll.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Dear vethumanbeing,

thought the question was ONLY if FOR NON-BELIEVERS (of what) his pastor or life circumstances? A Question did not couch this ONLY if TO be replied to by non-believers of SATAN, why open such a forum as atheists should have no opinion one way or the other, answer "Dont show up Sunday Morning", thats the agnostics JOB to sway hem and haw and formulate a very confusing 1 hour (probably have the best one ever) much like the answer I am demonstrating.

Actually you are dead on. If I had to do over, I probably would have changed the title. It is so predictable how some will respond with the same old dead drum beat of "there is no God" or "You believe in Santa Clause" or whatever. Some of the non-believers cannot contain their anger; but, it does get old. I understand that many grew up in homes which taught bad theology and beat them in the head while not living anything they preached.

A couple of years back I took in a homeless young man, he was a Satanist; but, I had known him since he was young and he ended up homeless when he turned 18 because he was in the Foster Care system. He knew I was a Christian and it rarely came up. We just didn't talk about it and respected each other even if we didn't agree with each other's beliefs. On one occasion a neighbor gave grief to the young man for what he was wearing (all black, long trench coat, very Goth looking), I corrected the neighbor and told him that he had no right to tell the young man what he could wear. The neighbor threatened me and the young man was ready to put a knife in the neighbor if he hit me. I had to make him go inside. I was not afraid of being hit; but, I was afraid of being protected in a way that may have killed another. Just imagine, a Satanist willing to kill an Atheist to protect a Christian and the Christian being willing to be hit by the Atheist to protect the Satanist. LOL. I do not believe all Atheists or jerks and I do not believe all Satanists are jerks and I know there are christians that are jerks. I do believe there are jerks of all kinds and sometimes I am a jerk too, we all are sometimes.

In the end this thread did not turn out as I hoped, it really got off track by numerous people who chose to debate the existence of God and ridicule believers. But, it really didn't work because I got what I was looking for, some really good suggestions and I also got the same old tripe from certain non-believers. With all the attacks, what we have to remember is that there are many Atheists, non-believers, believers to the contrary (Satanists, Gnostics, Lucifarians, Muslims, Hindus, you name it) that never come on spiritual threads to attack spiritual beliefs of others.

In particular, there are many Muslims on this site that never get into arguments with Christians and many Christians that never get into arguments with Muslims. It is very rare for me to even converse with a Muslim about our beliefs, we agree to disagree. If a Muslim started a thread on "Why I believe in Allah and the Koran", odds are I wouldn't participate in the thread, people are allowed to believe whatever they wish. If the Muslim started a thread on "Why Christians are Wrong", I would probably respond and answer his questions. I have the right to defend my beliefs and we all do.

This response is really to you other than the thanks for contributing part. I have just finished reading most of the responses and I am sort of summing up how the thread turned out in my mind. This thread has made me look at ATS, there is a lot good and some annoyances; but, I think I will continue to come back. Have a great weekend.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Originally posted by davethebear
I have thousands of questions and I am sure millions of others do to…. Any answers??????????

Everything we think we "know" is a LIE...

If you’re seriously looking for some deep answers to real questions, watch "The Encounter"...

This film is a MUST see if you’re seriously looking for answers.

"You know, everyday I get millions of complaints about this world. All the greed and selfishness poverty, starvation, the wars, the murders, the abuse of children. I hardly recognize this place anymore. It bears so literal resemblance to the garden that I created for you, but it’s not hell, Nick.

Even now, there’s sunshine on a spring day, there’s a starry night and a desert sky, there’s a gentle breeze on a summer afternoon and the smell of flowers, the song of birds, There’s even people who are willing to lend a helping hand to the helpless and there’s love Nick, there’s still love." The Encounter

edit on 8-6-2013 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
reply to post by AQuestion

Matthew 5:22

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

BTW, i am very NOT christian, but even i know enough to see your OP is wrong on so many levels.

DC

Dear xDeadcowx,

As you say you are not a believer, why did you even bother reading the thread? Now go read the verse you quoted and focus on the part where it says "without a cause". If I ask a question and someone ignores the question and just bothers attacking Christianity do I have a reason? If someone is a jerk, can I point that out, it doesn't mean that I hate them. We are all jerks at times, I know I am. Should an Atheist not be allowed to tell me when I am being a jerk? Is this a one sided thing?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

Dear Siberbat,

Thank you so much for your post, very constructive. When I preach I am all over the place and switch methods. I am not very traditional. LOL. I don't have a perfect congregation and I am not perfect either. I think I try and find issues that we need to consider much more than telling them what the answer is, I prefer to ask questions and give my answers. I have given sermons where I have started by asking people why they are there at all if they are not helping others during the week. While there are some overly sensitive Atheists on this site, I really don't care what they think, that is between them and God and if they are jerks, I am not afraid to tell them so. While they whine and cry after they have said that all believers are idiots and someone responds by pointing out that they are being jerks, they never seem to understand. That was poorly phrased on my part. Thanks, I will reread your quoted material as it looks very useful. Peace.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
Everyone,
Let's give Aquestion a little slack here. He is looking for help and support during a time when his pastor and his church needs him. Why do we think we need to go to church? It's not because to go to get what we deserve, we go because we get what we don't deserve. That is grace. Bottom line...we are all sinners...All of us.

Dear Siberbat,

Thank you. Thank you for caring about the lead pastor. So few cared that his mother is dying. One person actually said that he shouldn't have needed to borrow money from me and should have been prepared. That person was a real jerk. The lead pastor didn't have any money because he gives it all to the congregation, he does not get paid and neither do I. We both have full time jobs and contribute as needed rather than get paid. He did not have to go, his brother offered to; but, his brother is in his finals for nursing school and would have not graduated if he went. I have never met his brother; but, the guy is finally on the right track and I made a choice to go into a little short term debt so that my friend and lead pastor could go instead. People who came to this thread got all butt hurt because I said that people who had nothing constructive to offer were jerks; but, they were. We are all jerks at times, I know I am. Peace and thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Psalm 23

Dear stirling,

Psalm 23 A psalm of David. 1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,[a] I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

That is one of my favorites and I am not sure I have ever given a sermon on it. I consider it so basic and integral to the walk. Fear no evil because this is temporary. It is a very important and powerful message and one deserving of being repeated. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LABTECH767

Time's like this may try his faith as he loses someone he loves very dearly but you are also his family in Christ our lord, in your heart you will know what sermon to give or how to interpret an improvised sermon, may the holy spirit grant you the inspiration you need and may he also look after your pastors mother.

Without knowing your particular denomination I would hesitate to go further except to say in Christ we are all only one denomination though many mansions exist in his house.

Maybe also read from psalm 25 the passages that spell the name of the lord.

Yodh, He will cause the meek to pass judicial decision and he will cause the meek to know his way.
He. Make me to walk in truth and teach me for you are the god of my salvation.
Waw. For I have trusted in you all the day long.
He, Make me to walk in truth and teach me for you are the god of my salvation.

You are the god of my salvation is quoted twice by the word letter He and the relevant passage being repeated twice and one can only see the link to the name of Christ as God Saves and judgement and truth are also mentioned, I hope this helps.

Remember also there was a story about an American platoon that saw some of the heaviest action of the second world war and never lost a man after they started saying Psalm 91 as a shared prayer, though they were of many denominations and even some jewish they all said it together can't remember the particulars of that story but read it a long time ago and if you can track it down it may also provide inspiration, His truth shall be my shield and my buckler.
edit on 8-6-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

Dear LABTECH767,

I never expected so many responses and apologize for not having responded sooner. Thank you for your concern over the lead pastor, he is a really giving person and more gentle than I in some ways. I wish to particularly thank you for telling me to ask for God's guidance. That is a great suggestion. I just did it and you have helped me see his answer. Peace.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Dear Murgatroid,

I am about to watch the whole 1 1/2 hour video that you posted, a star and a thanks for your contribution.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear vethumanbeing,

AQuestion
Actually you are dead on. If I had to do over, I probably would have changed the title. It is so predictable how some will respond with the same old dead drum beat of "there is no God" or "You believe in Santa Clause" or whatever. Some of the non-believers cannot contain their anger; but, it does get old. I understand that many grew up in homes which taught bad theology and beat them in the head while not living anything they preached.

They did not understand the theology because there was no pertinance/relevance that they could actualize (meaning) at all. Just a bludgeoning of non-speak. Not their fault. The non-believers are caught, as they cannot figure anything out concerning themselves. I would act out in anger if I as well thought God had abandonned me.
What is the fix? Hum, believeing in a faith driven system (not likely to happen as these people want PROOF POOF).

AQuestion
A couple of years back I took in a homeless young man, he was a Satanist; but, I had known him since he was young and he ended up homeless when he turned 18 because he was in the Foster Care system. He knew I was a Christian and it rarely came up. We just didn't talk about it and respected each other even if we didn't agree with each other's beliefs. On one occasion a neighbor gave grief to the young man for what he was wearing (all black, long trench coat, very Goth looking), I corrected the neighbor and told him that he had no right to tell the young man what he could wear. The neighbor threatened me and the young man was ready to put a knife in the neighbor if he hit me. I had to make him go inside. I was not afraid of being hit; but, I was afraid of being protected in a way that may have killed another. Just imagine, a Satanist willing to kill an Atheist to protect a Christian and the Christian being willing to be hit by the Atheist to protect the Satanist. LOL. I do not believe all Atheists or jerks and I do not believe all Satanists are jerks and I know there are christians that are jerks. I do believe there are jerks of all kinds and sometimes I am a jerk too, we all are sometimes.

Instead of the friendly being the foe you protected a potencial dangerous individual that very well could have commited murder, (for all of the wrong reasons). A Goth Satanist at least has the strength of will to protect another ideaform; completely not of its own and is yet Atheist as well protecting your right to be AQuestion. Brilliant. You had a reasonable query, that was/is drawing out the ones hiding. LOVE IT. I am a total Jerk, NOT EVER ADMITTED TO... just a small animal nipping at the achilles heel of Mt. Olympus.

AQuestion
In the end this thread did not turn out as I hoped, it really got off track by numerous people who chose to debate the existence of God and ridicule believers. But, it really didn't work because I got what I was looking for, some really good suggestions and I also got the same old tripe from certain non-believers. With all the attacks, what we have to remember is that there are many Atheists, non-believers, believers to the contrary (Satanists, Gnostics, Lucifarians, Muslims, Hindus, you name it) that never come on spiritual threads to attack spiritual beliefs of others.

These are persons that will take the genious of your idea and twist it into their own agenda, let you do the leg work and butter it, or turn your idea into theirs. Those that try to attack do not have the right caliber of ammuniton (how can you speak of the esoteric when you have no knowledge of it in the first place).

AQuestion
In particular, there are many Muslims on this site that never get into arguments with Christians and many Christians that never get into arguments with Muslims. It is very rare for me to even converse with a Muslim about our beliefs, we agree to disagree. If a Muslim started a thread on "Why I believe in Allah and the Koran", odds are I wouldn't participate in the thread, people are allowed to believe whatever they wish. If the Muslim started a thread on "Why Christians are Wrong", I would probably respond and answer his questions. I have the right to defend my beliefs and we all do. This response is really to you other than the thanks for contributing part. I have just finished reading most of the responses and I am sort of summing up how the thread turned out in my mind. This thread has made me look at ATS, there is a lot good and some annoyances; but, I think I will continue to come back. Have a great weekend.

I do not understand the Muslim, I do its God Mohammed. I cannot debate one as they are not in such a position as to own themselves as individualized spirits more like ants in a colony; or hives dug in as Okinawa. I thought Mohammed and Jesus were the same being; divided; to justify and explain similar context to different centuries/cultures.
edit on 8-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

If someone is being a jerk then by all means call them out on it.

On the other hand, to come out of the gate spewing insults and hate doesn't do any good for anybody involved. If someone is so insecure about what they want to say that they need to preemptively insult people, its time they look at themselves instead of everybody else.

I read this thread because it was insulting in the title. Outside of that, i don't need to have a reason to read a threat, and i don't have any reason to explain myself.

The OP was by a christian, about teaching other Christians while acting in a fashion that goes fully against what Christians claim to be. All i did was post a bit of christian scripture to solidify this view.

Was i being a jerk? I don't think so, i did not insult anyone in any way, and i provided a potential answer to the OP. If i am wrong in doing so, then i don't want to be right.

DC

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Dear Murgatroid,

Wow, I just finished watching the video. It was amazing and very well done. Darnit, I would like to just show the video for my sermon; but, I need it in Spanish or at least sub-titled in spanish. Thank you so very much for having posted it. I am stunned and so many thoughts are going through my mind. It was spectacular. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Dear Murgatroid,

Wow, I just finished watching the video. It was amazing and very well done. Darnit, I would like to just show the video for my sermon; but, I need it in Spanish or at least sub-titled in spanish. Thank you so very much for having posted it. I am stunned and so many thoughts are going through my mind. It was spectacular. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Dear vethumanbeing,

They did not understand the theology because there was no pertinance/relevance that they could actualize (meaning) at all. Just a bludgeoning of non-speak. Not their fault. The non-believers are caught, as they cannot figure anything out concerning themselves. I would act out in anger if I as well thought God had abandonned me. What is the fix? Hum, believeing in a faith driven system (not likely to happen as these people want PROOF POOF).

Thank you. Supposedly we are supposed to demonize all Muslims; but, the truth is they cause almost no problems on ATS. I challenge the Moderators to tell us all the problems caused by Muslims on this site, I do not agree with them; but, they tend to be very civil, some would say more civil than I am. LOL. I can respect anyone even if we disagree, I cannot respect people who tell others what they must believe or choose to engage in non-responsive disagreements. I had a relative try and hijack my blog (which is not listed in my signature or anywhere else on this site), I told him to start his own. I find ATS a nice place to communicate with people of different views and am always amused by those who choose to vent. One of the super moderators attacked my perspective; but, I am still here and that is after I responded to them. ATS is a fine place if we moderate our comments, it allows us to exchange views with people who disagree with us. I am good with that, disruptive behavior will get a response from me and they don't like much. As for proof of eternity, we all get it eventually. Sorry I am not at my best, so many things going my head. Thanks for your comments, they are very useful.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx

If someone is being a jerk then by all means call them out on it.

On the other hand, to come out of the gate spewing insults and hate doesn't do any good for anybody involved. If someone is so insecure about what they want to say that they need to preemptively insult people, its time they look at themselves instead of everybody else.

I read this thread because it was insulting in the title. Outside of that, i don't need to have a reason to read a threat, and i don't have any reason to explain myself.

The OP was by a christian, about teaching other Christians while acting in a fashion that goes fully against what Christians claim to be. All i did was post a bit of christian scripture to solidify this view.

Was i being a jerk? I don't think so, i did not insult anyone in any way, and i provided a potential answer to the OP. If i am wrong in doing so, then i don't want to be right.

DC

Dear xDeadcowx,

Save your baloney for someone who cares. Believe what you wish. Some responders were insincere, can you not see that, did you correct them? No you did not because you support all nastiness aimed at believers. You were being a jerk by the way, you did not respond in a relevant way to my OP, you did not give something constructive to me to say to a congregation of believers.You made no effort to give me something that I might talk about with believers who want to know how to be better.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical

So women weren't allowed to whisper among themselves? Why were men allowed to talk but not women?

The culture was one that women looked to their husbands as the spiritual leader of the household.

It didn't really change anything because Paul still singled out women and not men. Were women only allowed to talk to their spouses back then? I find that hard to believe.

Men were much more educated in the Torah back then, not the women usually. Their questions were usually directed at the men because they were the ones being taught the Torah from the age of 12.

Again.. it's not really applicable today in our culture and church architecture.

edit on 8-6-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Seems like they understand him quite well actually.

1 Timothy 2:12

The Greek for "man" in that verse implies the woman's own husband. It's not a blanket statement for no women teachers. In fact in numerous places Paul commends different women for their work in the ministry.

Again, context is key.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join