It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer Shoots My Dog, $1800 Fine

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whenandwhere

as you described with the muzzles , are they soft muzzles?

They are similar to this, kind of a hard rubber (very flexible). Ours have a bit more room than in this pic though and are more comfortable for the dogs.

Don't ever get the nylon ones. They can't drink or pant in them, and they break real easy with big dogs (even if they are made for big dogs). The metal ones I don't like because my dogs are kind of clumsy, and I can see them running into something, and having that metal basket get pushed into their face...

The nice thing is, they can open their mouths, pant, lap up water, etc., but are in no danger of being able to bite anyone, or another dog. We also have little dogs too, but they all get along. We generally only muzzle when there are situations they'll be antsy (like a visitor)...and really try to limit the time.

Adding, on the fence thing, on the previous page, you'll also need a pair of bolt cutters, if you need to trim the gridwire panels. Wire cutters won't hack it.
edit on 7-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
If you have to muzzle a dog, please chose to put more love into him/her and give him/her a more suitable environoment. That is horrible. Mother Earth is not impressed by violations of nature. Love and trust should not be betrayed.

And people should stop expecting a perfect tailored, manicured, yuppy neighborhood. I like the grass long, and the dogs in it. I walk barefoot and want to see clothes drying outside. I don't respect sterile control mindsets but freedom and happiness, mistakes and all.

We were so happy to take the plastic cone off our cat's neck yesterday. She was suffering horribly with that on.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

All of my companion animals have been rescues, and given that they are rescues from bad situations they often times have behavior issues. I have a thing for German Shepherds and my last rescue was one that had came to us with aggression issues, food aggression, stranger aggression, she was loaded with hangups. For the first year we had her she was a nightmare to live with, and a muzzle came in handy and ended up being a valuable training tool.

Gypsy lived for seventeen years and ended up being a very stoic, gentle and loyal companion. I'm looking to adopt another just like her.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There's no nice way to say this, you're gonna have to pay that. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent the other dogs owner a fine as well if his dog was loose, they're gonna collect as much as possible whenever possible. It's basically useless to try an fight it, unless your dog killed his dog in your yard. I'm not sure how the laws are in your state/country but in California if you want to fight something you still have to pay the fine upfront and then if you win your case you get a refund which I think is illegal as can be but I'm not the one who writes legislature.

I like Pits and I like Rottweiler's both but that's generally gonna be the outcome of that mishap. I have a really tame Blue Nose that I stopped taking to parks because of other people's lack of responsibility. It's sad to watch a dog fight, I used to break em up but I got bit by other people's dog like 5 different times so now if your dog is off its leash and is unavoidable.....Sorry for your luck and Pet.

I have dealt with Cops several times and they always fine the owner who's dog is not on its leash. In some counties here in Cali they require you to have your Pitbull registered and insured just like a Car, because of all the irresponsible owners out here. I'm a licensed Breeder but no longer do it because I've had dogs all my life and they just don't live long enough. It's heartbreaking to lose them every 12 years or so.... My next pet when my blue passes is a Sulcata Tortoise, HAHA my grand kids will have a 200lb Guard Tortoise

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I think you are wrong in so many areas but that is a moot point now.
In future days I would hope you would spend $150. and get a chain link kennel for the moments when you cannot be a responsible doggy daddy, if it makes it any better, it will save you another $1800. bill.
RIP to the two doggies that will never be able to make their stupid human feel better just because they know when something is wrong.
People think me silly that I prefer my dog's company over humans...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

We put the dog in the back yard on a chain with a collar that has spikes in it that tightens as he pulls. He somehow escapes his collar and runs around the neighborhood.

Soooo... Lemme get this straight; you chain up a dog in a spiked choke collar and think this is acceptable? Appropriate? Safe?

This isn't the first time hes gotten loose.

Gee I wonder how that happened? Bored, intelligent, active dog kept on a chain...

He usually just runs around the neighborhood untill one of our neighbors brings him back.

Oh well my bad that makes it all right then... "Well golly gee whiz I know pits have a reputation for being hard, and aggressive but he is such a softie, and he hasn't hurt anyone... yet... So, we'll just keep rolling the dice that he won't trip into the territory of another dog that is willing to fight 'cause he's such a nice dog".

Although I have no doubt that you will vehemently deny that anything resembling the above outlined reasoning ran through your little head ("You don't KNOW me. Blah blah blah"), it was still an irresponsible. idiotic thing to do. If it becomes apparent that what you are doing to secure the dog isn't working... FIX IT! Before someone, someone's dog, or your own dog gets hurt... Or worse. Your dog is dead because of you. Only you. Just you. Not the cop. Not the rot. Not your neighbor. YOU!

Today in the mail we recieved a $1800 fine from the local magistrates office that we now have to pay.

Good. You should. Maybe you'll learn, but reading the sniveling But-It's-Not-My-Fault wonder of avoidance that follows I doubt it...

Can you believe that? They are fining us $1800 dollars after killing our dog. I think the rottweiler is a more aggressive breed and i think the dog attacked my dog. I also think the police officer was quick to shoot. I just can't believe it.

What the hell is wrong with you?

You get your dog killed, blame everyone else, and then come whine about it on the interwebz expecting what...!? Sympathy? Hoping people here will validate this warped view of reality of yours where your dogs death is not your own fault? Are you hoping people will lump this in as a sign of the police state run amok?

Yeah... I'm sure you can't believe it, and you sure won't learn from it. Maybe when you kill your next dog you'll start to get it. My advice, get a Shih-Tzu, or something small, easy to manage and harmless that is within your capacity to be responsible for. Better yet... a hamster. How about fish? Have you thought of fish?

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this. But my gawd. If an $1800.00 fine isn't enough to get your head out of your butt, I don't know what will.

I'm sorry your dog payed for your stupidity. And I"m even sorrier that you are almost certainly going to march right back out there and get another one, do everything exactly the same way, and get that one killed too.
edit on 7-6-2013 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
IAnd people should stop expecting a perfect tailored, manicured, yuppy neighborhood. I like the grass long, and the dogs in it. I walk barefoot and want to see clothes drying outside. I don't respect sterile control mindsets but freedom and happiness, mistakes and all.

Do you also run nakid thru fields of flowers as well? Serious question.

Anyway, I was a bit harsh on the OP, but I didn't see them take any responsibility for what happened so it's hard for me to feel pity for someone in that situation. It is a sad story though, and I hope they learned a lesson from it. Animals aren't pets. If you don't have the resources to properly take care of an animal, you shouldn't have one... it doesn't matter if your eighty and just want companionship, or you just want a 'pet' for your children. It's selfish. And as others have pointed out... many, many people who buy dogs/cats/animals don't even understand the behavior of their 'pet', so when it does something, like bites the pizza delivery driver, they inevitably say something stupid like "she's never done that before!". Or they spank their dogs for chewing furniture when noone is home, or for pooping on the floor... both of which is asinine, and is abuse as far as I'm concerned, because so many don't understand their behavior. /rant
edit on 7-6-2013 by jheherrin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jheherrin

i dont think anyone has been harsh enough with the op, he sounds like an idiot. i'm sorry for his dog. the owner didnt seem to care, he was more annoyed with the fine than the loss of his dog.

an expensive lesson in responsibility, but i doubt he will learn.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Another pity post from you. After 9 pages this has probably already been said, but the fact is, your pit bull is your responsibility, which you failed to uphold--again.

I'm sure your dog was a "good dog," just like all pitbulls, even after they've killed some kid. You need to be aware of the statistics. In a major longitudinal study covering 1982 to 2006, nearly 24 years, it clearly shows that dangerous dogs such as "pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings." In this study a cocker spaniel was responsible for one dog bite for the entire 24 years. Pit bull terriers, on the other hand, were responsible for 1,110, including 104 deaths. When are you pit bull apologists going to wake up and realize your macho tough dogs are dangerous to the rest of the population? Those interested in researching this issue should see Dog Bite Lawand familiarize yourselves with the statistics. Nobody is 'singling out' pit bulls unfairly. They simply cause more damage. To defend these dogs in the face of this evidence is illogical and irresponsible. I just hope pit bull owners carry a lot of insurance.

P.S. Got your gun rights restored yet?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
While I'm sad for your dog's undignified ending, I can't understand people who just leave their dogs alone outside and tied up. If it's nice enough for the dog to be outside, it should be being attended to by a responsible person at all times, especially so if you can't guarantee it not being able to get off your property if it somehow slips its leash. As for rottweilers being the more vicious breed, that is nonsense - viciousness is something an owner allows to develop, not something inherent in a particular breed.

DENY IGORANCE MATEY!
Theres dogs and dogs, and breeding does tell .................
Coon dogs dont herd sheep, as well as herd dogs....
etc.....the two beeds would make a helluva dogfight, and im not surprised there was a fatality....
but without witnesses its a tossup who bit whom first, and both dogs were running loose.....
edit on 7-6-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Question for you and Ektar, since you seem so knowledgeable about breeds. We're having a fence put across the back of our house for our American Bulldog and our Grand Dame (13 yr old cocker spaniel/dachshund mix). Do ABs have the same jump abilities as a Pitt? We're having a 4ft fence put in that will be 23' deep by 46' long. Wondering if I should call the company and tell them to make it a 6ft fence?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

If you have to muzzle a dog, please chose to put more love into him/her and give him/her a more suitable environoment. That is horrible. Mother Earth is not impressed by violations of nature. Love and trust should not be betrayed.

And people should stop expecting a perfect tailored, manicured, yuppy neighborhood. I like the grass long, and the dogs in it. I walk barefoot and want to see clothes drying outside. I don't respect sterile control mindsets but freedom and happiness, mistakes and all.

We were so happy to take the plastic cone off our cat's neck yesterday. She was suffering horribly with that on.

I agree with you on all of that. I personally would not own a muzzle. I wouldn't want that on my face so wouldn't do it to my pet. Also - glad there are a few left who are good with bare feet and long grass. My yard looks like a jungle. People are offering to trim my trees to "help out" (they will take the whole tree out as its happened before with these offers - like serial tree killer) I love the vines hanging down for at least awhile in the spring. Don't like the weird looks when barefooted either. It's awesome to go barefooted.

Anyway - I get the muzzle justification but it is cruel in my opinion. I would prefer to isolate my dog if I'm worried about it biting guests or if out and about just keep it right by my side at all times.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheherrin

IAnd people should stop expecting a perfect tailored, manicured, yuppy neighborhood. I like the grass long, and the dogs in it. I walk barefoot and want to see clothes drying outside. I don't respect sterile control mindsets but freedom and happiness, mistakes and all.

Do you also run nakid thru fields of flowers as well? Serious question.

Anyway, I was a bit harsh on the OP, but I didn't see them take any responsibility for what happened so it's hard for me to feel pity for someone in that situation. It is a sad story though, and I hope they learned a lesson from it. Animals aren't pets. If you don't have the resources to properly take care of an animal, you shouldn't have one... it doesn't matter if your eighty and just want companionship, or you just want a 'pet' for your children. It's selfish. And as others have pointed out... many, many people who buy dogs/cats/animals don't even understand the behavior of their 'pet', so when it does something, like bites the pizza delivery driver, they inevitably say something stupid like "she's never done that before!". Or they spank their dogs for chewing furniture when noone is home, or for pooping on the floor... both of which is asinine, and is abuse as far as I'm concerned, because so many don't understand their behavior. /rant
edit on 7-6-2013 by jheherrin because: (no reason given)

That first sentence gave me a good laugh. I like being barefooted and some wild to my yard but after reading the that post and your reply it was just funny.

I also hate it when people harm their pets for going to the bathroom inside. Rubbing an animals nose in it hurts to even think about. Your supposed to give them regular potty breaks when they are training so they associate outside with potty time and then make sure someone is there to let them out when they need to go. That is so much easier than training a dog to hold it. And if an accident happens I used to just take it outside to reinforce that's where it goes (then pick it up again later). . It was strange because if my dog did have an accident she went right by the toilet. She was so smart. I don't know if that's the right way to do it but it worked for me and it is a better alternative than beating them (ouch) or ruining their keen sense of smell while also humiliating and terrifying by rubbing their noses in it.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Unity_99

Both dogs are very territorial so it was inevitable. We actually took really good care of him, there is 4 adults living in my house so he got walked constantly and fed properly and pretty much anything he wanted.

So why was he chained up outside? Were you tired of him?

I have three dogs, one of which is a 200 lb. mastiff and I can take care of all three of them by myself and I still manage to work at least 50 hours a week.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I recently adopted a 3 year old mix breed. This little girl loves the outdoors. I walk her plenty, but she likes to go outside every chance she can get. She's so different from my last pooch that never left my side.

It seems to me that some think letting your dog out on a tie out is cruel. If that is where they want to be and you let them in when they want in, it is cruel not to let them out. She loves to lay in the sun and sit on my porch chair barking at anyone walking by. She is always on the outlook for squirrels and rabbits.

It wouldn't hurt people to just accept what you read without being judge, jury and executioner. If you feel it necessary to correct someone please be kind. Getting kicked when you are down is hard to take.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

Originally posted by RothchildRancor
I don't believe in keeping a dog outside by itself.

That in itself is the practice of a cruel owner.

I am sure every chicken, sheep, and goat owner will agree with this. NOT!

WTF? Really? You are comparing chicken sheep and goats to a pitbull. or dogs in general? Dogs regularly kill all of the animals you mentioned. How is a chicken, sheep or goat comparable to this circumstance. Have fun introducing your 30 cats to your farm animals,

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

It seems to me that some think letting your dog out on a tie out is cruel.

Not so much a matter of cruel, unless it's done chronically.
It's a bad idea leaving tied up dog unattended. The chance of escape is very real (see the OP). Loose dogs get run over and into all kinds of bad stuff (see the OP). The chance a dog hanging itself is not negligible. A tied up dog cannot defend itself from other dogs (or obnoxious humans).

edit on 6/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

reply to post by kdyam

So you live in a ghetto neighborhood where people breed mean rottweilers but you own a sugar plum pacifist of a pitbull? That sounds like total B.S.

Who said ghetto neighborhood? I live in a city, albeit a very colorful city but its not a ghetto, yet.

What does that mean??

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Leaving unattended dogs tied up is a terrible practice.

I have known pitbulls with wonderful temperaments and some with very unwonderful temperaments. The same applies to many breed (Except golden retrievers, of course. All wonderful.). But the "problem" with bulls is that their jaws are so damned powerful. It just takes one bite.

edit on 6/6/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Heh. We just fostered a golden retriever puppy and just today he went to his new home...and they named him Doug after that one in Up. Anyway back to the threats.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdyam

Originally posted by Hollie

Originally posted by RothchildRancor
I don't believe in keeping a dog outside by itself.

That in itself is the practice of a cruel owner.

I am sure every chicken, sheep, and goat owner will agree with this. NOT!

WTF? Really? You are comparing chicken sheep and goats to a pitbull. or dogs in general? Dogs regularly kill all of the animals you mentioned. How is a chicken, sheep or goat comparable to this circumstance. Have fun introducing your 30 cats to your farm animals,

What do cats have to do with this? Your statement that I quoted was

I don't believe in keeping a dog outside by itself. That in itself is the practice of a cruel owner.

Dogs protect lots of animals, especially mine. And I don't know where you find me comparing ANYTHING to a pitbull or any other dog for that matter. Why don't you re-read your statement please. Dogs, especially OUTSIDE dogs, protect sheep, goats, chickens, etc. And because a dog lives outside does not mean it is cruelty. Please, reread your statement then get back to me. Thanks.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join