It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer Shoots My Dog, $1800 Fine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by hellobruce

You think its that easy to just secure our yard? Putting a fence on your house isn't that cheap and me and my family have been dealing with a lot of financial issues among other things that really are not your business.

You come crying on here for sympathy, and I am sorry for the dogs. You are nothing more than an irresponsible dog owner, who is now responsible for the death of two animals. Please, never own an animal or have children in the future.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Maybe you missed this post

He did slip his leash but once we got the new collar we havent had that problem in a really long time.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
So it may not be the dogs fault but the type of people around here tend to be the type that want viscous dogs.

That explains everything.... unless you actually mean viscous and not vicious!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havox

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
BUT, your dog got out of an unsecured collar, out of an unsecured yard, and killed another (LARGE) dog. Yep, that justifies it for me.

You have no idea if the other dog attacked it first, do you? The other dog was also loose, it could have just as easily attacked the pitbull, and the pitbull could have been simply defending itself.

Doesn't matter. The pittie killed the rottweiler. Imagine being the cop on the scene - one dog down and dead, the other with, probably, a bloody muzzle and hyped from the fight. This is one of the rare instances where I wouldn't blame the cop for being worried if not down-right terrified.

And the collar was not secure if the dog escaped from it.

As I said, normally these reports leave me cold with the absolute uncaring arrogance of the police officers. This case was not one of those.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Havox

I know that I'm not showing a lot of patience with the OP, but having been a humane investigator for many years I had found that responsible owners don't tie up there pets, especially folks that love Pits

I saw way to many chained and tied dogs with not only physical injuries but serious behavioral issues. No one should ever chain a pit. The brains of dogs are programmed to resist, especially at the end of a rope or leash.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

You are responsible for your dogs actions in the eyes of the law.

He escaped your yard, killed another dog and "went after" ( which I assume means tried to attack ) a police officer and you're upset about a $1800 fine. You should be glad that they aren't charging you as well.

The only thing that I feel bad about in this is the two dogs being owned be irresponsible owners. Their lives are over because of that.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
reply to post by Havox

I know that I'm not showing a lot of patience with the OP, but having been a humane investigator for many years I had found that responsible owners don't tie up there pets, especially folks that love Pits

I saw way to many chained and tied dogs with not only physical injuries but serious behavioral issues. No one should ever chain a pit. The brains of dogs are programmed to resist, especially at the end of a rope or leash.

Thank you. When we first adopted our Am. Bulldog, a friend talked me through what I needed to know since I had only had a mild-mannered older dog (adopted at 2 yrs old). He told me right off the bat to use a full harness whenever we took the dog anywhere. The only time the dog gets tied out in the back yard is when I'm working in the garden. The cable is long enough for her to join me at the garden beds. We've also scraped and saved since adopting her in March and are having an area of our yard fenced in the next few weeks so she has room to run. Sure enough, the one time I couldn't find the body harness and clipped the leash to her collar, she yanked out of the collar.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Why would you leave an unattended dog tied up? You need a crate. Part of being a pit owner means you have to be 30 times as cautious as the next guy with another breed. There are just too many absurd stereotypes out there against that breed and it's owners.
edit on 6-6-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Insecure collar (yes, a slip collar is insecure; it can be easily released by a patient, intelligent animal). Unsecured yard. Frustrated dog chained up for too long, as demonstrated by frequent escapes in the past. Not difficult to see how this is going to turn out.

Sure enough... dog gets free and kills somebody else's dog.

In my opinion you've been lucky to get away with an $1,800 fine. Your dog killed somebody else's pet—which also amounts to destruction of their property—and proved itself to be an aggressive menace.

I'm frankly amazed that you can't understand why you're being penalised for this. People these days just seem to have no concept of responsibility for their own actions.

If you don't have a fence you shouldn't have a dog in the first place. If you couldn't afford a fence you should have set up a flying fox; it wouldn't have cost more than a few dollars.

Welcome to the adult world. I hope you've learned a valuable lesson about personal responsibility.
edit on 6/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Pits are very special animals, and require very special care and handling. The irresponsible Pit owners out number the responsible ones. In many cities Pits are just a piss poor extension of the tough guy that isn't very tough at all.

The irresponsible owners are the ones that are giving the breed a bad reputation. Some communities won't allow for pit ownership. Many rescue organizations can't adopt them out, the liability issues are too great so the dog either languishes in a crate or is euthanised. It's just a bad scene all the way around.

You have an excellent gardening companion there.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

I had a golden retriever and she was the most beautiful dog in the world. Gentle as can be. My neighbors saw her sniffing a cat that had been killed (right outside of my gate for some reason) and called the authorities. My own cat slept on her head and she didn't mind a bit since she was such a lover. Some dog or ? Killed that cat and my dog took the blame. It's a bad memory.

With pit bulls - believe they can be gentle as was said herein - depends how you raise them but if have to defend themselves even, their jaws lock shut and their instinct is to use the full force of them. It's not like they are bad but rather its instinct. I know a lady who has/had a mountain lion (yes they sadly sell them which I think is wrong). It bit her sons leg and...tied it on even shorter leash and punished. What do you expect right? It frustrates me when people forget that they are animals and since they don't have words to work though their issues could very well go off on someone or another dog.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I'm so sorry about your dog ! That's awful . Go to the press ! More and more of these stories are popping up,and police officers have been found to habe shot without cause,99% of the time .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

That's horrible

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If no one knows,there is legislation in almost every state to do either all of these ,or at least one :

1- declare bully dog breeds illegal
2- stop all breeding
3-make owners mere guardians ,and the local state government really owns you pets.

A guy who ran a website called petpac,exposed all of it .
He posted the first proof that the humane society pockets 90% of all their collections to protect animals,for their own CEOs paychecks.

They attacked this guy with a vengeance. Made up websites with a url similiar to petpac containing all lies about him.
Then brought him up on all kinds of false charges,to shut him down .

He had listings of the legislation for all of this,for every state ,and it was a lot.
California is always the one trying the hardest to pass it.
They want to make hybrid cats illegal ,when most of them are as tame as any domestic cat .

I agree breeding should be curtailed,and bad breeders closed down ,but some breeds should not be lost because of this nonsense .

You should check your state for local law
. It's possible cops have been given carte Blanche to shoot bully dogs ,and its just all kept under wraps.
I wouldnt put it past them .
edit on 6/6/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
That's awful . Go to the press

To tell them what exactly?

"I couldn't be bothered to look after my dog properly, it escaped from my unsecured yard, killed another dog then ran at a police officer, who shot it.
None of it was my fault, it was the fault of someone else"

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sorry I have worked as a Lic Technician in the Veterinary field since 1995 &
Golden Retrievers aren't as golden as you think they are...for the most part yes
but they can be aggressive just like other breeds.

The aggression is either inbred from aggressive dogs or it's being trained by
humans & then passed on. I do not fault breeds. I saw much of this in CA to the
point that the Vets were advising people interested in Rotts to buy them from the
East Coast due to the way they were mostly being bred & raised on the West Coast.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
You guys are ridiculous coming claiming irresponsibility. Im sure its easy to claim from your computers. Dogs get away it happens to everyone once in a while. Sometimes you cant be watching your dog 100% of the time and no we dont leave the dog on end for hours at a time. In fact when hes ready to get off his leash he barks a few times and we bring him in. Its cool though keep blabbering on about how evil i am or irresponsible.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Thank you for correcting my canine bias.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

You need to listen actually. I have two pit bulls myself and am a breed advocate. A pitbull should never be on a leash and COLLAR. Their necks are just as wide as their jaws and they can pull out of a leash with ease. They need to be harnessed. And when you are away from home they need to be in a crate. You were irresponsible in that regard, but that doesn't mean you are an irresponsible PERSON. Understand the difference?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Oh i understand the difference. We have a crate but the dog was just let outside for a few minutes to go to the bathroom. I wasnt even home. It was another family member letting the dog out for 10 minutes in the morning before the day starts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join