It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer Shoots My Dog, $1800 Fine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

Cujo was a saint bernard

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
He somehow escapes his collar and runs around the neighborhood.

So he escaped from both the collar, then broke out of your yard.... why didn't you have your yard properly secured?

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

reply to post by IvanAstikov

Well, its not like every single time we take the dog out we can watch him the whole time. We do the best we can pretty much.

Maybe the rottweilers are not more viscious but in the area i live they tend to be because of the type of owner that want them around here. So it may not be the dogs fault but the type of people around here tend to be the type that want viscous dogs.
edit on 6-6-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

So you live in a ghetto neighborhood where people breed mean rottweilers but you own a sugar plum pacifist of a pitbull? That sounds like total B.S. if you dont have time to supervise or train your dog properly maybe you shouldn't have owned one. Keeping a dog on a choke chain is just plain cruel if it is unsupervised eventually you would have checked on your unsupervised dog and found that it choked itself to death, the spikes on the collar have a habit of locking into links when twisted by an excited animal. There are much better ways to keep a dog put like harnesses or dog run lines.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

We put the dog in the back yard on a chain with a collar that has spikes in it that tightens as he pulls. He somehow escapes his collar and runs around the neighborhood.

Just want you to know a slip collar is for training a dog and not to be tied up with. This video covers that as well and how to put it on "P". Your dog just slipped right out of a collar like that.
And I.m very sorry to hear this about your dog.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I was prepared to be angered by the cops actions, especially since we've seen so many unjustified dog shootings - particularly of pit bulls. I have an american bulldog that we fostered, then adopted from Bella's Bully Buddies, so I have an affinity to pitties.

BUT, your dog got out of an unsecured collar, out of an unsecured yard, and killed another (LARGE) dog. Yep, that justifies it for me. Take it as the lesson it is, and condolences to the poor dogs (plural) that died due to the negligence.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
BUT, your dog got out of an unsecured collar, out of an unsecured yard, and killed another (LARGE) dog. Yep, that justifies it for me.

You have no idea if the other dog attacked it first, do you? The other dog was also loose, it could have just as easily attacked the pitbull, and the pitbull could have been simply defending itself.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Havox

He doesn't say which dog "attacked first". And it doesn't really matter.
A dog fight is very often a mutual engagement.

edit on 6/6/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Havox

He doesn't say which dog attacked which. And it doesn't really matter.

How doesn't it matter? A dog defending itself should be shot for it?
Ah, you edited after I posted. I guess most dog fights are kind of a mutual engagement, but one dog usually provokes the other.
edit on 6-6-2013 by Havox because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2013 by Havox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Havox

That's not why the dog was shot.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Havox

That's not why the dog was shot.

The dog was shot for "going after" the police officer, which we don't really know in what nature the dog approached the officer.

So allegedly my pit killed the rottweiler and when the police arrived the dog went after the police officer and the police officer shot the dog. I think the officer was quick to act based off of the history and nature of the dog but you never know.

I think the last sentence may be what happened, perhaps the dog was frightened from the fight with the rottweiler, and ran towards the officer for "comfort" as the OP said the dog was genuinely nice to people, but like I said earlier, I give the officer the benefit of the doubt as pitbulls are known to be dangerous. I just don't think people should be so quick to say the dog killing another dog is a 100% justifiable reason to shoot it.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

But this isn't it, this isn't the worst part of the story it gets better. Today in the mail we recieved a $1800 fine from the local magistrates office that we now have to pay. Can you believe that? They are fining us $1800 dollars after killing our dog. I think the rottweiler is a more aggressive breed and i think the dog attacked my dog. I also think the police officer was quick to shoot. I just can't believe it.

So.... the 1800.00 fine was the worst of it? Poor dog. Maybe the 1800.00 you now have to pay would have been better spent on a nice secure area where he would not have had to endure spiked collars and the abuse of being chained to one spot.

Pits need strong and responsible companions.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kdyam

So you live in a ghetto neighborhood where people breed mean rottweilers but you own a sugar plum pacifist of a pitbull? That sounds like total B.S.

Who said ghetto neighborhood? I live in a city, albeit a very colorful city but its not a ghetto, yet.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Your probably right Phage, it probably was a mutual engagement.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Oh give me a break. Bunch of ivory towers around here. That dog was well taken care of.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

It wasnt an unsecured collar. It was a collar that tightens as you apply pressure to it. I didnt personally put him out that time so i cant comment on weather or not it was put on properly at the time or not.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

The collar was put on the dog after we had him for 3 years because he wasnt listening to us when we took him on walks and the other collars we bought for the dog were not holding him on his leesh.

Its really easy to jump to conclusions but its a lot harder to really investigate and ask questions before leaving rude, judgmental comments with little to no knowledge.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

You think its that easy to just secure our yard? Putting a fence on your house isn't that cheap and me and my family have been dealing with a lot of financial issues among other things that really are not your business.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Rude how so?
I was in no way rude to you and the fact remains you said slip collar and that simply does not work on a chain in the yard like it or not.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Obviously.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Actually no he was not. You even stated that he would get lose regularly. Now he is dead.

Most folks have a fear of Pits, and the old adage that dogs can smell fear is true. You were irresponsible, and it didn't take me standing on an ivory tower to see that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join