It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House votes to delay bulk ammunition purchase by DHS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Saw this a few minutes ago - didn't see it posted yet...

The House late Wednesday voted to stop the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) from entering into new contracts to buy millions of rounds of ammunition until DHS reports to Congress on the need for the ammo, and its cost.

The HIll - DHS to provide explanation for ammo purchase

All right...interesting follow up on a story from earlier this year.
I'd like to see an explanation as well & applaud the legislators attempt at getting one.

Not sure if they're going to get a clear answer or not but...hey...maybe we'll start seeing some ammo back on the shelves if they have to temporarily stop the buying...

Carter also rejected speculation by some that there are ammunition shortages around the country because DHS is buying it all, and said the Meadows language would interrupt the regular procurement process at DHS. But Meadows pointed out that his amendment would not interrupt current DHS contracts to buy ammunition.

Um...or not...

Guess we'll see - it'll be an interesting discussion if ammo does suddenly start filling the shelves again though...
edit on 6-6-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I guess this is a good thing but when you think of it, letting them buy millions of rounds before hand this seems a little late.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
We already have state police, local police, and county sheriffs. For federal issues we have the FBI, ATF, and US Marshals. What the heck do we need DHS police officers for to begin with, and what do they need to be armed for anyway? If I recall correctly the DHS was formed to be an organization that was to coordinate the other agencies to work together, they were not supposed to form their own police organization on top of the already existing ones.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
QUICK MURIEL, GET YER GUNS AND PHONE COUSIN JEBEDIAH—THE GUBBERMINT'S A'COMIN', AND THEY DON'T TAKE NO PRIS'NERS!

Does anyone have directions to the nearest FEMA death camp? Might as well start heading over there to save some time.

edit on 6/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I completely agree with that statement!
WHY do they need ammo at all?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by coldkidc
reply to post by defcon5

I completely agree with that statement!
WHY do they need ammo at all?

Department of Homeland Security. The clue is in the name.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

The point is they're superfluous (big word of the day)

There's a whole bunch of ABC's that enforce already...they were only supposed to be coordinating everybody & facilitating communication not policing.

I guess you must enjoy having lots of people telling you what to do...I don't

Ever heard the saying "too many cooks in the kitchen"?
edit on 6-6-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Cause oobumma said we need a civilian force equal to the military.

I suspect that the purchases have already been made and damage done. They are little too late but this is an attempt to clear their names.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

When they were formed it was to standardize and coordinate the other existing police forces so they would effectively communicate. It was essentially a bureaucratic organization. I do not recall them being formed to start their own uniformed service branch and begin policing the public.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Sankari

The point is they're superfluous (big word of the day)

Superfluous or not, they still need bullets to do their job. Unloaded firearms aren't going to stop anyone.

I guess you must enjoy having lots of people telling you what to do...I don't

I live in Australia. The DHS is completely irrelevant to me, and I don't have lots of people telling me what to do.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

they were only supposed to be coordinating everybody & facilitating communication not policing.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who recalls this from back when they were formed.
I was starting to wonder if I was in one of the “alternate historical time lines” that people are always posting about.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari
QUICK MURIEL, GET YER GUNS AND PHONE COUSIN JEBEDIAH—THE GUBBERMINT'S A'COMIN', AND THEY DON'T TAKE NO PRIS'NERS!

Does anyone have directions to the nearest FEMA death camp? Might as well start heading over there to save some time.

edit on 6/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

Your arrogance and condescending attitude know no bounds do they. Why don't you just go throw some shrimp on the barbie and post something worth while instead of your constant fawning over big government extremism.

If you need directions to a FEMA camp just go to Sand Point Navel station. That's were everyone ended up during the last big protest in Seattle.

Back on topic, glad someone is standing up to DHS.
edit on 6-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

S&F

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Superfluous or not, they still need bullets to do their job. Unloaded firearms aren't going to stop anyone.

No they need computers, phones, pens, paper, and other office supplies...
they were supposed to be a training and bureaucratic agency that was to train (standardize) and coordinate the other agencies to work together.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Maybe DHS is supplying ammo for all of the foriegn troops - aka russian troops - in our country?

Or to all the TSA idiots they've employed lately?
edit on 6-6-2013 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Maybe for all the IRS employees that obviously can't dance, or act, by looking at all of their "videos" - learning tools, they've spent soooo much money on lately?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by Sankari

When they were formed it was to standardize and coordinate the other existing police forces so they would effectively communicate. It was essentially a bureaucratic organization. I do not recall them being formed to start their own uniformed service branch and begin policing the public.

I do not recall the DHS forming its own 'uniformed service branch' to 'police the public.' As far as I can see, it's still co-ordinating the existing service branches.

No they need computers, phones, pens, paper, and other office supplies...
they were supposed to be a training and bureaucratic agency that was to train (standardize) and coordinate the other agencies to work together.

Pretty difficult to co-ordinate the other agencies effectively unless you provide them with the stuff they need. Like ammo. Anyway, it seems reports about the ammo purchases are grossly exaggerated:

Similar versions of this theory have been floating around the right for some time. Politifact Texas found it to be “mostly false” when a chain email suggested last year that the DHS was preparing for “massive civil unrest” by stockpiling ammo.

Even the NRA debunked these kinds of conspiracy theories in a press release last summer, saying that the DHS buying ammo is perfectly normal: “Much of the concern stems from a lack of understanding of the law enforcement functions carried about by officers in small federal agencies. These agents have the power to make arrests and execute warrants, just like their better-known counterparts at agencies like the FBI.”

(Source).
edit on 6/6/13 by Sankari because: added quote...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Then what do they need to have guns or ammo for?
See my point?

BTW... From what I understand they are out actively policing the public, they have their own uniformed officers in their own patrol cars. I have not seen them down here yet, but I have heard that they are acting like local police in NY.

The Coast Guard, US Customs, Immigration, the TSA, and the Boarder Patrol (and maybe others) are all under DHS. They don't need additional DHS officers, and those officers don't need to be out patrolling as police. If they Coast Guard needs ammo, then the Coast Guard should be applying for ammo, not the DHS...

Back when they were formed, the government made a point of the fact that they were to be a bureaucracy as the American public was not very keen on the idea of their existance. Even their name was criticized as being almost “Nazi-like” and too similar to the “fatherland”. People didn't want a new version of the KGB or Gestapo creeping up, and so they were sold as being a bureaucratic agency under which other existing agencies would coordinate.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Perhaps if you lived in the United States and not over 8,000 miles away and on the other side of the world from the land you're talking about, you'd know the topic far better than you do.

DHS coordinates, but acts on it's own as well. It absolutely has morphed far beyond and outside it's original charter...and it does see itself as it's own police force to ride above whatever agencies form it's organizational chart.

In that last example of an actual badge being worn by agents today, you'd almost think the original agency name was an afterthought. After all, The FPS is mentioned once on it's own agent badges....while DHS is the most prominent and legible thing there ...with it spelled out a second time, just in case anyone in the nation didn't know what the 3 big letters on the top stood for.

That is no simple coordinating agency. That's certainly no simple logistical support organization, as it was largely intended to be ...or at least sold to the public as, when it was originally formed. It's become a friggin monster.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Sankari

Then what do they need to have guns or ammo for?
See my point?

BTW... From what I understand they are out actively policing the public, they have their own uniformed officers in their own patrol cars. I have not seen them down here yet, but I have heard that they are acting like local police in NY.

They are in Seattle, DHS SUV's, special uniforms, etc. They are patrolling the streets.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Who are these DHS employees? Does anyone know anyone who is employed by the DHS? Are these former military people?

Where did all of these DHS employees come from?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join