It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever tire of eaing the same thing over and over?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hey ATS,

I am tired of eating the samething over and over, I am tired of eating American hamburgers, brats ect, or chinesse dishes, Italian food and Mexican food or anything out of the Betty Crocker Cook Book.

So help my Fellow Irish Lads and Lasses, do any of you have a good Traditional Irish dish to easy the pain of a growling stomach that keeps looking into the Ice box to see if something showed up that he wants to eat.
edit on 4-6-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: sp

What other foods do you think I should try? Have Reciepts?
edit on 4-6-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

hah yup. Bored of all areas of the grocery store, especially the meat section, Sometimes I wander to the foreign food areas, nothin there either, also I love seafood, but will not pay 27$ for a fresh crab.

Maybe as I get older I get bored of the staples of western cuisine, and anything else of interest is priced very high.

edit on 4-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Yes i can,,, i mean am.

have you tried to make irish falafel,, just smash some cic-beans,, a little spices and flour,,, a little oil..
and then put lots of dill in it,, then deep fry or bake in an owen,,,

a little mash potatoes and cranberry jellow,,,, oh man i got hungry...
almost forgot about gravy...
edit on 4-6-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 19KTankCommander

Most of the time, yes. Especially when you work in a restaurant. After time, everything just tastes the same.

I can eat Taco Bell almost every day though. They're really the only exception.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Funny, Irish food is what i think of when I want to LOSE my appetite.

Try eating vegetarian for a few days. The variety you're seeking is your body saying "STOP EATING ALL THIS MEAT!!!"

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Irish coddle.

britishfood.about.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

Originally posted by 19KTankCommander

Most of the time, yes. Especially when you work in a restaurant. After time, everything just tastes the same.

I can eat Taco Bell almost every day though. They're really the only exception.

Are you serious???

Tortilla, Meat, Cheese, Lettuce - That's 90% of Taco Bell's menu. You can eat every ingredient on their make table in 2 items.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
No.

Hot sauce, tortillas, cheddar cheese and jalapenos....everyday

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If you think about it here in America most of us eat the same old same old, when I traveled around the world I would make it a point to try other foods.

Its been sometime since I traveled and I was thinking what food have I not had lately and I came up with Irish food, (I like Potatoes and I have Irish in the family)

What other foods do you think i should try to satisfy my pallet?
edit on 4-6-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: sp

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I am going to refer you to another thread created by another member...I read it the other day and to me it was inspirational; even though I am not vegan; I eat that way half the time...it is really healthy.

Here is the link: (she has photos too)..www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is my understanding that if you want any of her recipes...just U2U her...and she will reply.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I have a great recipe for beer cheese soup that I make quite often.

1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2 -3 tablespoons butter
1 -2 small potato, diced
7 ounces dubliner Irish farmhouse cheese
1 quart vegetable stock
1 1/2 quarts half-and-half cream
3/4 cup flour
6 ounces guinness beer, NOT extra stout

Saute in butter the onion, carrots & celery until just tender. Add the flour, 1/2 of the beer, then the 1/2 & 1/2 in small amounts. Add the rest of the beer, and the potatoes. Simmer gently until potatoes are tender. Enjoy!

There's also Shepherd's pie and corned beef and cabbage. Those are both great traditional Irish foods. Being of German, Scottish, and Irish descent we eat a lot of Irish and German foods at our house. While I love Irish cuisine I am still more fond of the German dishes.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Keep them coming, its making me hungry, I guess I will throw that cheese burger out and start cooking some goooood stuff.

"The way to a mans heart is through his stomach"

Is that not the truth.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This isn't an Irish recipe but is one of my favorite German foods of all time. Knoephla soup is a creamy chicken broth based soup that is rather thick (think clam or potato chowder). We add carrots, celery, asparagus, and occasionally kraut to ours. It's very filling, lightly sweet and IMHO is about the best thing to eat on a cold winter day.

This isn't my wife's recipe as she has it in her head but I've used this one several times and it turns out great.

•1/2 cup butter, cubed
•3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
•1 small onion, grated
•3 cups milk
•6 cups water
•6 teaspoons chicken or 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
•KNOEPHLA:
•1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
•1 egg, beaten
•5 to 6 tablespoons milk
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•Minced fresh parsley, optional

Directions
•In a large skillet, melt butter; cook potatoes and onion for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Add milk; heat through but do not boil. Set aside. In a Dutch oven, bring water and bouillon to a boil.
• Meanwhile, combine first four knoephla ingredients to form a stiff dough. Roll into a 1/2-in. rope. Cut into 1/4-in. pieces and drop into boiling broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the potato mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Colcannon anyone?

britishfood.about.com...

Also, try this if you want something different. Smoked mackerel, on a bed of pilau rice, with stir fried vegetables. Its filling, without being too heavy, and relatively healthy too. Its also very quick. Smoked mackerel in the vacum packs doesnt need to be cooked before eating, since its been through that already during the smoking process, so you literally just break it up over the cooked rice and serve the hot, stir fried vegetables up on the side.

Also, word to the wise...steak with blue cheese topping. Just saying...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Also, word to the wise...steak with blue cheese topping. Just saying...

Man I love Bleu Cheese and used to always top my steaks with it. When I first moved to ND a friend up here introduced me to Boursin Cheese, Boursin is the name brand and it's actually Gournay Cheese. Put some of that on both sides of your steak about 2 minutes before you take it off the grill, it's so good it'll make your tongue slap your brains out for using anything else!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Fry a few strips of bacon in a large frying pan
Dip hunks of fresh halibut into flour
fry in the bacon fat
-douse with China Lilly soy sauce, salt, pepper,,
slice of lemon and a salad on the side..

jesus wept :/
edit on 4-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Theres an O'Neills pub near my home that does a blue cheese topping on its steaks. I always tell the fellow at the bar, that I dont want him to actually cook the steak, just introduce it to heat in passing, and then put it on the plate, and top it. Nothing quite like food which looks like its bleeding

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Same here, I prefer mine just to be walked through a warm room. We make Tiger meat quite often up here and it is something truly awesome that everyone should try.

Its ground chuck with seasonings and spices mixed into it an eaten raw. I really like it with bell peppers and onions diced up and thrown in too. It's great on crackers as a spread or on bread or just eaten by itself with a nice cold beer. I make ours but I wont make it with store bought ground beef due to the risk of bacteria picked up during the processing so each time we butcher a cow I grind up several roasts and make it and we end up snacking on it while we process and package all the beef.

Nothing like fresh beef taken right off the hoof that was still grazing an hour before you eat it.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Brutal!

That sounds like my idea of heaven. Speaking of incidents during the packaging process, you might be interested to read this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Incident from when I worked in frozen food retail . Yuck!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Big Pot
Mutton cubed boiled in water with onions, carrots, parsnip and potatoes and any other veg you want to throw in, pinch of salt and pepper and some gravy granules for taste. Plus home made soda for dipping

top topics

<<   2 >>

join