It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help...Explain this to me someone...Does the Sun change where it Rises and Sets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
We all know the notion the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West is a fallacy; the Earth rotates giving the illusion to us. While rotating on it's axis the Earth, also, gives us the change in seasons.

I moved to Brazil last year to be with my spouse, another subject altogether, and when I moved here the first thing I noticed was the Southern Hemisphere is different; obviously right? Living in the Northern Hemisphere for my entire life, it was not so obvious. Common sense tells me that it should be a little different, but I was surprised still.

The Sun still rises in the East and sets in the West, but it is opposite of what we call
East and West in the Northern Hemisphere; this took a little getting used to. Also, while some of the constellations are visible in both Hemispheres, they are not orientated the same way.

The way our bedroom is set up in our condo, a window is facing Due East; when I moved here the morning Sun came crashing in and always woke me; plus the room would get noticeably warmer. It didn't take long for me to insist on window tint. Still, even with the tint the temperature would change in our room and I still knew the Sun was up; little tiny cracks in the window frame are the culprit.

Anyway, the other day something hit me that seemed a bit odd; the Sun is not rising in the same orientation; it is rising about 25 degrees further to the North. I wanted to show pictures of this change but I did not take any specific pictures last year; nothing to compare it to, except my own observations.

Stellarium.org. might be able to demonstrate it, but I am not sure how it can be proved my observation is correct. Since Stellarium is a simulated program, it really won't help me here.

I am probably just imagining things, but it sure feels like things are changing.

This, also, raises another question about Ancient Egypt and the Ancient Mayan/Inca Civilizations...different Hemispheres yet they both have pyramids that are orientated to similar positions; how can that be? I am sure there is someone much smarter than me who can explain this.

Curiosity always gets me thinking. How about you? Any thoughts?

Soul

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

I am so going to get flamed by someone
I know it changes from season to season, but shouldn't it basically stay the same? I did, also, notice last year different planets were visible than are now.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
haha nice post budy..i feel it too..some times the sun rise earlier than before..very strange..but i am sory i wish i can tell you..i am not yhe expert..tq..good luck

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
It's because of the tilt of the Earth.
Same reason we have seasons.

What causes the seasons?

Source

Most people know that the Sun "rises in the east and sets in the west". However, most people don't realize that is a generalization. Actually, the Sun only rises due east and sets due west on 2 days of the year -- the spring and fall equinoxes! On other days, the Sun rises either north or south of "due east" and sets north or south of "due west."

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree
The Sun still rises in the East and sets in the West, but it is opposite of what we call
East and West in the Northern Hemisphere;

This is not true. East is east, all over the world.

edit on 6/3/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The Sun still rises in the East and sets in the West, but it is opposite of what we call East and West in the Northern Hemisphere

In the Southern Hemisphere it is reversed orientation wise. What was true in the Northern Hemisphere is not true in the Southern. I ,also, already suggested the changing of the seasons...did you actually read what I wrote or did you just pull a drive by based on the topic?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
It does change.

Just the other day I read a piece about it from the Danish Weather Service (Dansk Meteorologisk Institut) explaining how different part of the country sees first first light depending on the time of year. Or the tilt of the earth axis if you will.

See the picture below? I've marked the to most noticable 'first light spots'. See how one is almost as much to the west as possible, and STILL gets first light in the summer? That is how much the point of sunrise moves throughout the year.

Of course, had Denmark had land further south, you could see the point of sunrise move from northeast, over east to southeast.

Hope it helps.
Cheers

Edit: The phenomenon becomes more and more pronounced the closer you get to either pole, so if you if you left a place nearer the equator, when you moved to Brazil, it might explain why you haven't noticed it before.
edit on 3-6-2013 by DupontDeux because: Edit to ad

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Here is a terribly googletranslated version of the piece from the weather service, should you want documentation for the above claimed :-)

translate.google.com... -i-dag-staar-solen-foerst-op-i-vest%2F&act=url

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well OP, you're not the first by any means to mention this since early last year. Several people both online and offline whom I respect have maade similar personal observations about something being just a hair off. The funny thing is, as sincere and genuine as they seem...and I believe they are feeling something very real....the stats don't support it.

My best suggestion is what can't be modified, tricked, edited or faked. The good old fashioned Farmer's almanac.

Valuable, Useful, Helpful, and Fun Tips, Advice and Stories, Exclusive Best Day Calendars for Fishing, Hunting, Brewing Beer, and Getting Married, Gardening Secrets, Amazingly Accurate Long-Range Weather Predictions, Yummy Recipes and Much more!
Source

It's second only to the Good Book itself to many I know in Missouri here. Even today. Now, perhaps the current one isn't the best (If someone is worried about trickery)....but older ones and non-farmer versions are out there in plenty of circulation. They ought to have sunrise/sunset times to the minute and far out for charting it. If something truly changes, that is one of the places the changes should be blatantly obvious, first. Just my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

It does change. Here's photos i took last year to show the difference. In fact, the Sun (well it is the earth that moves) moves even further West-North in the middle of Winter than my photos shows, as this was taken in Autumn, more than a month before Winter started. I never did realize how much the Sun moves from Summer to Winter. I was thoroughly surprised and amazed.

The average difference between Summer and Winter.

I found a photo i took in Summer. I highlighted the house, so one can see the difference.

Autumn

Summer

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: add

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
perhaps just observations and Analemma

Link

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Who cares, it rises to early to observe

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The arc is the opposite, this would appear to be strange if I saw it. During the summer here, the sun rises and sets far north and swings a little to the south in spring and fall. Down south the sun rises to south in the winter and swings to the north during the day. This would be strange to see in person because I am magnetically aligned to north, I can sense north somehow. I can see how you would sense this as strange OP. Many people do not even pay attention to these things, they filter out way more than they should. You should be able to get used to it.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

In the Southern Hemisphere it is reversed orientation wise.

Sorry, East is East and West is West, no matter WHERE you are in the world.

What was true in the Northern Hemisphere is not true in the Southern.

SOME things are different (your summer is our winter), but up is still up and down is still down. East is still east and west is still west. Your seasons are switched from ours (your summer is our winter). but North, South, East and West are the same.

did you actually read what I wrote or did you just pull a drive by based on the topic?

I read every word and I answered your question. Clearly, it's not the answer you wanted. But it's the truth. The sun rises (and sets and crosses the sky) further north in the summer (your winter), no matter WHERE you live. I'm sorry you don't like that answer.

I was sincerely trying to answer your question. The trajectory of the sun across the sky throughout the year is something we learned in grade school.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

I know it changes, but the change is from season to season is it not? My observation is about the orientation the exact same time of year being different from last year to this year 365 days, not season to season.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Well, you should have made that clear in your first post.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Wasn't the least bit condescending. Okay congratulations. I was not looking for a specific answer, but all you did was regurgitate. I wanted to know more than what you put forth, if I was standing in the same house in the Northern Hemisphere looking out the same window, I would be facing the West, here I am facing the East, okay? Got it?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Well, you should have made that clear in your first post.

You are absolutely correct, My observations were based on the exact time of year and the positioning of the Sun with relations to the window.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

if I was standing in the same house in the Northern Hemisphere looking out the same window, I would be facing the West, here I am facing the East, okay? Got it?

Got any scientific information to back this up?

And to answer your original question, the Earth wobbles slightly on its axis (Chandler Wobble) AND the Gregorian calendar doesn't exactly match the actual movement of the solar system, hence leap year and slight astronomic variations. Gregorian Calendar Accuracy

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for your reply. Still the way the Sun comes through my window as compared to last year the exact same time is very different. Wouldn't expect it to be much different but it is.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

Nice pictures and I apologize for not thanking you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join