It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do I Rock when I Meditate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
So, in a rare moment I've the house completely to myself and was able to truly sit down and mediate. Knowing that for at least one hour - I'd have no distractions. My husband even took the phone with him.

So in meditating very deeply, as I did today (which I don't get the opportunity to do often enough) I often will begin to rock. To and fro or side to side.

When I was younger, I would always meditate and rock side to side and generally always was playing trance music. In these meditations I am able to completely dissolve my awareness of the world around me, and enter a lucid dream. I was generally in complete control of my lucid dream and tend to be ego-centric in nature. Playing out hopes, wishes, and dreams unfulfilled.

Now when I meditate in silence I can also shift my consciousness. And I begin to rock to and fro or back and forth. Often times in these meditations, it's as though I'm receiving lessons. I can only liken it to what a student must have felt like with philosophical teachers like Aristotle, Pluto, Jesus, and Buddha. The messages are generally always positive and I receive them in what I can only liken to the sound of my own voice. The tone of the message varying.

I was wondering if anyone had any spiritual or even more scientific ideas as to why I do this. And also from those accomplished at meditation - a few questions ...

Should I refrain from doing this? Is it normal to rock during meditation?

Blessings,
Cirque

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I think it's fairly normal to perform physical swaying or rocking during meditation. It imitates a spiral or circle. Ever since we're infants, we are soothed and comforted by rocking. Rocking in a chair or swinging are similar. I would not refrain. I would think it's additive to the experience.

Have you ever had a seizure? I've seen people who experience seizures rocking just sitting around.
edit on 5/31/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Rhythmic repetitive movements, our sounds (like drums) help greatly to put your brain into that state, exactly why I don't know, but it sounds like you're simply helping yourself.

But, why do you meditate?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
When I was a Buddhist, I frequently meditated (often Zazen). When I did so, I would sit in the full lotus, half lotus, or kneeling position. They teach you to sway left and right until you come into a straight balance, with your head straight, pretending like you're balancing the weight of the world upon the tip-top of your head.

Sometimes when I meditated, I would lean forward slowly without realizing it. In fact, when I do my prayers now, I still sit in a kneeling meditative position with my head bowed and eyes closed. I still lean forward sometimes.

I think it's just an unconscious thing. Your body isn't used to sitting still for a long period of time, so you may lean or sway or rock while meditating. If you're doing Eastern meditative techniques, it's essential you keep a straight back, because keeping your body straight ensures your breathing is normal (that is, you can breath as deeply as you can).

Best thing to do is to meditate for a while with your back against a wall, to ensure the best posture, and that you don't lean or sway. Then, after a while, try doing it without the wall and see if that helps.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
it could be that your rhythim takes over at some point

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Could it be your heartbeat / blood flow?
When i tried to sit very still i will automatically start rocking back and fort but in the rhythm of my heartbeat. Also distinctly remember asking a teacher what was wrong with one of the old folks when we were out with our hole class on Halloween at a nursing home years ago (its not called Halloween here, but its kind of the same thing), she was rocking back and fort so fast i could not understand she did not got sea sick. According to one of the nurses the pumping of blood caused here to rock and some how she could not sense it anymore so she would not counter the moment with her mussel.
Not the best scientific description but it could be what is making you rock two.
Have fun.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless
Rhythmic repetitive movements, our sounds (like drums) help greatly to put your brain into that state, exactly why I don't know, but it sounds like you're simply helping yourself.

But, why do you meditate?

Several reasons. To calm myself, introspection, and contemplation. I generally use two forms of meditation. Meditation in a kneeling position or lying on a flat surface. with the focus to quiet my mind, relax my body, let go of stress. The other type is, I guess the best description is trance meditation? Where I begin by calming and relaxing myself and then let my consciousness and mind to open. At that point I'm no longer striving for stillness, quietness, calmness - at that point I'm seeking to examine and explore ideas, contemplate questions and seek logical and practical answers.

Cirque

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think it's fairly normal to perform physical swaying or rocking during meditation. It imitates a spiral or circle. Ever since we're infants, we are soothed and comforted by rocking. Rocking in a chair or swinging are similar. I would not refrain. I would think it's additive to the experience.

Have you ever had a seizure? I've seen people who experience seizures rocking just sitting around.
edit on 5/31/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

No. I have no history of seizure, nor any family history that I know of, of anyone ever having seizures in my family.

The idea of swaying imitation a spiral or circle appeals to me and makes sense.

I also want to thank everyone for responding. I have to step away for awhile, pick kids up from school and mom stuff. Be back later!

Cirque

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Quite simply, you have a pulse.

With the relaxation of your body, it is allowed to "rock" with the natural rhythm of the bloodflow circulating around it.

With the relaxation comes a natural connection with the pulse, possibly accentuated by the silence and relaxation.

Enjoy.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

If those times are rare that you get to do that, it could also be, in addition to the above suggestions, a release of pent-up tension or anxiety.
Good for you, girl!

Solitude is so precious. I was just thinking this afternoon about how in the last five years, the solitude I've enjoyed has helped me learn to KNOW myself. It takes a long time.

Enjoy your rocking. It's all good.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I don't really know what else to say, but, the same thing happens to me. It's very gentle, and sometimes I suspect that it takes me a few moments to realize I'm doing it.

Also, sometimes when I'm lying on my bed. I feel like my legs or sometimes my whole body is about to levitate, and I've also experienced a small mini earthquake sensation like my bed itself is rocking, but I've recently discovered that these two phenomena are likely related to my use of electromagnetic fields, like my cellphone, WiFi or even my tv, or the power strip next to my bed just above head level... I'm literally surrounded. And I wonder why I have problems sleeping...

I'm not sure if the meditative rocking is related to that or not. I suspect its different because the other two are a perceived motion, while the meditative rocking is real. I know I'm actually what is moving. I just mentioned the other in case it interested you.

I don't feel its harmful... But too much of anything isn't good for you. If it becomes violent, I might begin to worry. I don't suspect this is the case for you though.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Sometimes you gotta rock before you can roll.

I have caught myself doing this too when I meditate sometimes, especially if I go into a deep meditation, though it has been a while. It just seems to be a body reaction. Unsure if it is for comfort or breathing or what, but I am interested in the responses you get as well.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
because of light, sound, drums, guitar, and rock
edit on 2-6-2013 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

top topics

join