It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diet soda as bad for teeth as meth, dentists prove

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Diet soda as bad for teeth as meth, dentists prove

rt.com

Diet soda addicts, beware: heavy consumption of the highly acidic drinks can cause tooth damage that resembles the effects of methamphetamine or crack coc aine.

Those who drink large amounts of diet soda for long periods of time often experience tooth erosion, rotting, decay and other types of oral damage – in many cases just as bad or worse as the effects experienced by long-term drug users, according to a new study published in the journal General Dentistry.

“You look at it side-to-side with ‘meth mouth’ or ‘coke mouth,’ it is startling to see the intensity and extent of d
(visit the link for the full news article)

+35 more 
posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I rarely drink regular soda, and NEVER touch diet soda and this gives me another reason to avoid them both altogether if what the article claims is true.

I must admit that I have one major problem with the study, only three people were involved. This is a bit sensational in my opinion but certainly is believable.

Soda has been long known to cause teeth problems but to find out it's as bad for your teeth as the substances mentioned in the article is very disturbing if what they report is accurate.

The The American Beverage Association is blaming the lady's "lack of dentist visits" for the problems with her teeth but the science behind the study is also convincing when you look at the ingredients they put in these sodas.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/29/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I believe it. 'Mountain Dew Mouth' comes to mind here. Plus, wasn't there some weird experiment were someone was able to dissolve a molar in a jar of Mountain Dew?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
[snip]

What's wrong with water people? I drink maybe a liter of soda a year. It just floors me when I hear of people drinking that poison weekly, daily or even several times a day.

Cant help but think of the inbred drones downing Brawndo. It's got electrolytes!

People wonder why they're fat and wheeze climbing a flight a stairs and they spend time circling like carrion eating vultures for the closer parking spaces then have soda with every processed meal they shovel into their rotund food holes.

Save time and money and just drink some damn water!

edit on 20-8-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Is someone suing them or something? Holy crap, that's what I need to do... I brush regularly and use mouth wash BUT my teeth are still starting to become redneck teeth... at only 25 years old. I have drank more soda than water since around 13 years old though. So yeah, I'd say it's true. Soda is very bad for you! I've quit smoking cold turkey but cannot seem to drop the coda, if that says anything for how addicting the stuff is...

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
diet soda can be very addictive, my roommate is addicted to diet pepsi...no joking matter.....If I remember wasn't regular mountain dew found to cause the most cavities (out of all the regular sweetened sodas)

worst then regular soda was gatorade, lower in sugar but caused more cavities!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I only drink water, and I'm not sure how people even feel remotely healthy by consuming soda everyday

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Save time and money and just drink some damn water!

Yeah but those people are so stupid they just go out buy the bottled water weekly instead of something like a tap filter.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

They dont make the connection between how crappy they feel and their food/lifestyle. They just think it's how they're supposed to feel. Or that it's just "aging." They've lived sick for so long that it's normal to them to be cripple and decrepit at 35 or 40.

reply to post by yourmaker

Oh god they would. They so would.

The notion that healthy eating/drinking habits are out of reach because of cost comes to mind.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I only drink water. I buy use reusable BPA free containers and get them refilled at the grocery store. The refilled water is reversed osmosis. To the water I add a little bit of celtic mineral salt. Even though the water is slightly salty I add good minerals back in and take out flouride, pesticides, heavy metals.

Diet soda or any soda for that matter is terrible for you, the ph is acidic. I have heard of people dying because of drinking too much soda. If I do feel like a bubbly drink I mix a little bit of 100% fruit juice and club soda in 1:3 ratio.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I will drink soda as a replacement for beer at parties when I am trying to avoid drinking.

I wouldn't be surprised if diet soda is bad for teeth as it's bad for everything else. Regular soda is as well just based on the ingredients that include salt and sugar. One thing I would like to know about the study is the diet of the people being studied as well. Were they eating healthy meals that consisted of very little bread and cookies (both stick to teeth like crazy)? What were their hygiene habits? Most of the people I know that drink diet soda have other very bad habits along with their addiction to soda.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
S&F CE

Walk down any street in the uk and you'll see many people with a can of fizzy in their hand.
Even children to young to talk, sit in their push chairs with a can of fizzy.

Addictive? Just take a look around, of course it is!

And the health of their teeth is probably the least of their problems!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Use a straw, bypass the teeth.
Or don't drink it at all..which is what I mostly do..
I have an occasional Mt Dew, when I want my innards tickled (from an old slogan of theirs)
Seems like a straw would take care of the Tooth issue though.

edit on 29-5-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Luckily i do not seem to have the genes or DNA or whatever to become addicted to food or drink so it is not something i understand.

I gave up soda very easily, on the other hand have difficulty quitting cigarettes and actually seems like harder than most.

As far as this goes, i seriously doubt it is true BUT that is my opinion.

The problem with meth and teeth, i believe, is not actually due to what is in the meth itself but that a drug like that (these types of drugs are particularly horrific) leads to neglect of ones teeth and of course other things and not having the money to go to a dentist etc. and not having the money to eat right. I guess it can sap calcium but i am not entrely sure. Then there are far worse health issues aside from rotten teeth like heart disease, vascular disease etc.

Soda is mostly sugar like many bottled fruit juices. But then i am not a...ahem, professional.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Now we just need a "faces of diet soda" website.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCrimsonGhost

I think you might have stumbled across something here. Maybe I'll start something like that. Would be fun to see if I get a nice polite letter from Coca-Cola..

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Carbonation just has bad for your teeth has for your stomach if you're a compulsive drinker.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

HA!

My wife's dentist clued her onto this, and also said some sweeteners like Splenda are even worse than regular sugar when it comes to tooth decay.

Nasty stuff - we avoid it. S+F!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
I only drink water, and I'm not sure how people even feel remotely healthy by consuming soda everyday

Same, and I don't even have it in my mind to think about it. I just know if I crack open a can of fizzy pop, it at first quenches the thirst but then is a sickly blend of crap.

Iced water or with lemon is so much better..

crazy.. I too can't understand how people can be addicted to soda. There was a guy in the news here recently who said it had ruined his life, and he had put on lots of weight, became unwell and chronically sick.

I just have no idea.. and I know all about physical addiction..

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It's moderation like anything else. I like my Coke Zero, i'll have a couple cans a day usually. Coke Zero is my "vice" since i don't drink alcohol.

And i'm also a regular water drinker, i drink 8 ounces before each meal.

Over indulge in anything and it's going to have negative effects to your body.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join