It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diet soda as bad for teeth as meth, dentists prove

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Meth does ruin your teeth. I grew up in a area where meth was everyone's "drug of choice". You could tell people were tweekers based on their teeth and their skin. I never even tired it because I seen the side effects first hand.

I had a former friend to whom I went to school with, he eventually dropped out. I seen him a couple years laters, he was obviously using. He and I began to talk then i noticed his teeth and had to ask "wtf was up with that?" He replied that he smokes meth and it's common.

So I seen this first hand many times. He wasn't they only person I grew up with that started using and eventually became a "criminal" over a drug. Needless to say, it's bad for every part of you.

So if this is this a violation of T&S mods, but I felt it needed to be said.

-SAP-
edit on 31-5-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

Tooth decay aside, what the hell makes these people use meth or diet soda drinks?

I mean...it's not like it's a secret what the filth does to the body is it.

I'd have to be incredibly thirsty and have no access to any other drink before i drank diet soda or anything containing sweetener poisons.

And while i might be slightly eccentric, i'd have to be completely raving bonkers to use meth.

Just say no thank you..because being healthy doesn't have to mean being impolite!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
+I don't get it with stuff like meth either. That first time they decide to use it, wtf are they thinking, what is the thought process? it boggles my mind.....

the closest I've come to understand was when they interviewed this girl, she said she tried it because she said that people keep doing it even though they know it could kill them, so the effect must be amazing ,if they are willing to do still do it.....something along those lines.
edit on 1-6-2013 by research100 because: punctuation

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

From my own anecdotal evidence from meth users I met they almost always start out on some other stimulating drug and are usually resistant to the other drug when they initially use it. They also come from some type of mentally/physically abusive background.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I drank diet Pepsi religiously until I seen the pics and this thread of what it does. Haven't touched a can since.

I found it mildly addictive.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Haven't touched a can since.

Switched to bottles, eh?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Nice Zarni.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyofGlass
reply to post by research100

From my own anecdotal evidence from meth users I met they almost always start out on some other stimulating drug and are usually resistant to the other drug when they initially use it. They also come from some type of mentally/physically abusive background.

Like perhaps all the legal meth doctors prescribe kids? You know, Ritalin and Adderall. Doctor approved speed for kids, gotta love it. Your abuse theory is 100% wrong though. Not all addicts are victims of abuse. That is ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

Tooth decay aside, what the hell makes these people use meth or diet soda drinks?

I mean...it's not like it's a secret what the filth does to the body is it.

I'd have to be incredibly thirsty and have no access to any other drink before i drank diet soda or anything containing sweetener poisons.

And while i might be slightly eccentric, i'd have to be completely raving bonkers to use meth.

Just say no thank you..because being healthy doesn't have to mean being impolite!

Originally posted by research100
+I don't get it with stuff like meth either. That first time they decide to use it, wtf are they thinking, what is the thought process? it boggles my mind....

Allow me to un-boggle your minds.

First of all, not everyone is super happy with their life and wants to drink only water to be in tip-top health. Some people just really don't care about their health or being alive in general. This might be temporary or it might be permanent, depending on the cause of such apathy. Let me give you an example. I don't have time to elaborate, but pretend this is a coherent story.

Something traumatic happens in your life. Not necessarily abuse, let's say a parent dies. You shut down...emotionally...mentally...zombie mode...you lose desire to live.

Get diagnosed as mildly ADHD, when you really just don't care about school. Be on legal meth from early childhood and up. Wow you kinda love this stuff. Zoom zoom. You know, like some people are addicted to coffee.

Experiment with different things in high school. You're already somewhat desensitized to taking a pill to change how you feel. You're never reckless about it though, because you are intelligent and somewhere deep down you don't really want to die, but you aren't really concerned about long-term health effects. Ok so you're hanging around others that are doing the same stuff. Have one small group of friends that get involved with meth. Of course you think, woah that's not good. The more you are around it though, the more you get used to it.

Now wait a minute, this is meth. Why aren't your friends dead after months of use? You thought mr DARE program told you that this would kill you quick, if not the first time. Weird, friends look ok to you. With a healthy mix of desensitization and realizing that you were lied to about how deadly certain substances are (in the short term), you try it and stay on it for a short while. I won't get into all the details of it. It's pure evil, the psychological effects.

Basically, if someone is abusing their body, there's a reason for that. We all know that drinking water and eating healthy food is...healthiest. Some people have a hard time dealing with certain life events or just life in general. Poor coping skills does not mean someone is unintelligent, lazy, abused, or anything else.

Please don't judge. An addict needs love, not condemnation. On the flip side, they don't need enablers either. No part of this comment is meant as a personal attack against anyone. This is just another perspective, take it for what it's worth.

Oh yeah....slightly more on topic: Soda and poor dental hygiene ruined my mouth. I might share pics later if anyone is interested. If you drink ANY kind of soda, at least swish some water around in your mouth sometime after finishing it. Brushing at night doesn't undo the damage happening to your teeth during the day.

MODS and STAFF:
Thank you for allowing this discussion. I'm in no way trying to condone or glorify any unhealthy substance. I will share the horrors of Dr. Pepper and Amphetamines later if I need to, but please, this took me way too long to type on this stupid phone.

edit on 3-6-2013 by BanTv because: No Condone! Evil!

edit on 3-6-2013 by BanTv because: errrrr

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

Street meth and Adderal although in the same family are not exactly the same as far as chemical composition. It's also not necessary to be rude in regard to something especially if you aren't going to be very specific, like providing a chemical breakdown. My post very clearly stated that my evidence was anecdotal, meaning it was in no way a theory but based on personal experience.

When I state "meth" I am referring to the drug that includes "Methyl" in it's chemical composition...i.e. street meth. Meth has methyl in it's structure amphetamine doesn't that's why the latter doesn't have the "meth" portion in title. Methyl is the ingredient that allows the drug to quickly run the brain in the street version.

Ritalin is again comprised of many of the same things but doesn't have the exact structure that street meth has. This may not sound like a big but even slight changes in a chemical structure have profound effects on how a drug interacts with the body. Now does that mean that I don't think Adderall and Ritalin are harmful and addicting? Of course not, but those are not the drugs I was referring to in my post.

I really like this website as it gives more of a breakdown. You can research it anywhere though as long as it has the chemical breakdown. Also when using this just select drug from drop down and you can compare them side by side, kinda gives a visual to otherwise difficult to understand chemistry.

www.erowid.org... e_2d.gif

edit on 3-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: cause

edit on 3-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: edit

edit on 3-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: add

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
...Not to mention that aspartame is the feces of E. Coli - Ughh...

Good thing I've never been a soda person... Always felt too unnatural to me...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

reply to post by BanTv

Street meth and Adderal although in the same family are not exactly the same as far as chemical composition. It's also not necessary to be rude in regard to something especially if you aren't going to be very specific, like providing a chemical breakdown. My post very clearly stated that my evidence was anecdotal, meaning it was in no way a theory but based on personal experience.

When I state "meth" I am referring to the drug that includes "Methyl" in it's chemical composition...i.e. street meth. Meth has methyl in it's structure amphetamine doesn't that's why the latter doesn't have the "meth" portion in title. Methyl is the ingredient that allows the drug to quickly run the brain in the street version.

Ritalin is again comprised of many of the same things but doesn't have the exact structure that street meth has. This may not sound like a big but even slight changes in a chemical structure have profound effects on how a drug interacts with the body. Now does that mean that I don't think Adderall and Ritalin are harmful and addicting? Of course not, but those are not the drugs I was referring to in my post.

I really like this website as it gives more of a breakdown. You can research it anywhere though as long as it has the chemical breakdown. Also when using this just select drug from drop down and you can compare them side by side, kinda gives a visual to otherwise difficult to understand chemistry.

www.erowid.org... e_2d.gif

edit on 3-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: cause

edit on 3-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: edit

edit on 3-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: add

I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just pointing out a fact. Not all addicts are victims of abuse.

I also know the differences between Ritalin, Adderall, and Meth. From personal experience and from a pharmacology standpoint. I almost didn't mention Ritalin because it's not even close to being the same thing, but it was a popular ADD drug so I mentioned it.

If you weren't talking about legal amphetamines when you said 'most start on a stimulant', then what were you referring to? Surely not a white substance. Although it's a stimulant, it is NOTHING like amphetamines. Not even close. I'll explain the chemistry if you want.

While slight changes in chemical composition can make a huge difference on how a chemical affects the body/brain, I'm tellling you from personal experience: Adderall is legal meth! Dextroamphetamine vs methamphetamine. One is slightly more euphoric, but they are extremely similar. I know this for a fact.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

Please reread my first post in regard to me explaining anecdotal evidence based on my own experiences with meth users I have encountered. Anecdotal is not a universal statement or experience it is based entirely on my own experiences of meth users I have personally met, that's why I put it.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

reply to post by BanTv

Please reread my first post in regard to me explaining anecdotal evidence based on my own experiences with meth users I have encountered. Anecdotal is not a universal statement or experience it is based entirely on my own experiences of meth users I have personally met, that's why I put it.

I understand what you're saying, and again didn't mean to come off as confrontational. I just felt the need to say something because from my experience, that isn't an accurate description of all addicts. I understand that in your case, that is what you saw.

Since you acknowledge that your statement is anecdotal and based on what you've personally seen, you should understand why I said something. If you would've put the words "most" or "many" in there, or said "every addict that I've met", I wouldn't have said anything at all. No offense meant.

Just out of curiosity, do you know their personal history because you are close to them, or because you're a psychiatrist? The only reason I ask is because I could see a medical professional being hesitant to accept that a popular medication is in any way similar to a horrible street drug.
edit on 3-6-2013 by BanTv because: desoxyn

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

Please construct your sentences differently if that is the case. Your post implied that I had made a theory, which I did not. I posted my own anecdotal experience. You also stated that I was leaving two other "meth" drugs out, which again was not the case as the drug I was referring to was Methamphetamine which is an illegal street drug that actually includes methyl. The drug is/was also the drug included in the title not Ritalin or Adderall, neither of which are Methamphetamine. The common usage in our language for "Meth" is the street drug Methamphetamine. That's why you don't hear people say "I rubbed Meth on my sore muscles this morning!".

Just to backtrack

and

Like perhaps all the legal meth doctors prescribe kids? You know, Ritalin and Adderall. Doctor approved speed for kids, gotta love it. Your abuse theory is 100% wrong though. Not all addicts are victims of abuse. That is ridiculous.

I am ending this discussion.

To the topic: I will make one other point which is to keep in mind that bad habits are usually friends with other bad habits. I haven't seen anything indicating a genuine test group excluding all other rational explanations. If anyone has information on this I would be really interested in reading it if you have link/source.
edit on 3-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: typo

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

reply to post by BanTv

Please construct your sentences differently if that is the case. Your post implied that I had made a theory, which I did not. I posted my own anecdotal experience. You also stated that I was leaving two other "meth" drugs out, which again was not the case as the drug I was referring to was Methamphetamine which is an illegal street drug that actually includes methyl. The drug is/was also the drug included in the title not Ritalin or Adderall, neither of which are Methamphetamine. The common usage in our language for "Meth" is the street drug Methamphetamine. That's why you don't hear people say "I rubbed Meth on my sore muscles this morning!".

Just to backtrack

and

I am ending this discussion.

To the topic: I will make one other point which is to keep in mind that bad habits are usually friends with other bad habits. I haven't seen anything indicating a genuine test group excluding all other rational explanations. If anyone has information on this I would be really interested in reading it if you have link/source.
edit on 3-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: typo

1.) Ok, I'm going to try this one more time. Please feel free to not respond.

The way I read your comment was: From what I've gathered from meth users I've met, meth users almost always start on another stimulant and they all come from abusive backgrounds.

You didn't word it: Meth users I have met started with other stimulants and all came from abusive backgrounds.

One is making generalizations about all users based on a few, the other makes it clear that you're only talking about those you've met. A subtle difference, but substantial. If you were only talking about those you have met, then MY APOLOGIES that I misunderstood you. If you were making blanket statements though, I'm just letting you know that your assessment is wrong. There are MANY factors involved with drug addiction. Abuse is not the only factor. Some people are alcoholics or addicts because their JOB is stressful.

2.) I wasn't saying you left out two other "meth" drugs. You are correct, I should have worded my response differently and you misunderstood what I was saying. I know EXACTLY what ICE is. I don't understand why you are explaining it to me when I said that I've used it, researched it, and understand the chemical differences between the three. Not just from a book or class either. When I say Adderall is "legal meth", I am obviously NOT saying that dextroamphetamine and other amphetamine salts are street Methamphetamine. I am saying that Adderall is an over-prescribed amphetamine that is socially acceptable and not seen as a horrible substance or a danger to a child's health, while everyone knows that methamphetamine is a horrible illegal "street" drug. Well guess what? They are VERY similar, which is why I call Adderall "legal meth", because it is ESSENTIALLY the same damn thing. Amphetamine psychosis and other negative health effects can happen from abusing ANY AMPHETAMINE.

Ok now. Why did I even bring up Adderall? You said "they almost always start out on some other stimulating drug and are usually resistant to the other drug when they initially use it". Ok, there aren't millions of different stimulants, WHAT STIMULANTS? Different stimulants affect you differently. Just because someone is addicted to a white powder, DOES NOT mean that they will enjoy or want ICE. Totally different feelings. One makes you feel weird and like you're going to have a heart attack, the other makes you feel like superman. Some people don't consider cleaning their entire house a fun "high" LOL.

Point being, you said they started on another stimulant. I said 'you mean like Adderall'? Why did I say that? Because it's overall an identical feeling, with one being more euphoric though. It's the only logical jump. Surely you aren't saying they were Starbucks addicts and switched over to meth.

I asked you a few questions. If you can't answer them, I'll just assume:

*You're a medical professional who doesn't want to admit to herself that she's prescribing a dangerous drug to children
*You were talking about yourself or family members and don't want to admit it.

"I am ending this discussion."

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyofGlass

The only rational explanation is acid and sugar eating through your teeth. Do people with poor dental hygiene normally get cavities, or do most of their teeth get eaten through to the core? Yes, there is another bad habit that goes along with this, poor dental hygiene and/or the way it's drank. Sipping on a soda all day is worse than just drinking one quick. It absolutely is the soda though.

How do I know? My only options were 15 root canals or pulling them and getting dentures...in my early 20's. Lots of fun infections to go along with it too. I'd share some fun pictures for you if you can be nice.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Delete double message
edit on 4-6-2013 by LadyofGlass because: double message

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

While I am sure you are telling the truth in regard to your own anecdote that still doesn't mean that the study kept all other factors even as studies are supposed to do. Correlation does not equal causation and there are multiple bad habits that might contribute far more to cavities and damage than soda. Did this study keep all other factors even?

I want to see a study about diet soda that has a group that is given very strict dietary and hygiene rules throughout study. That way we could know if it's really the soda or if it's a mixture of bad habits that could be causing it. Just example : A person drinks diet soda, eats cheese puffs ten times a day and doesn't brush or floss. Example 2 : Person drinks diet soda , flosses and brushes thoroughly twice a day, and has a lean diet with mostly vegetables. Those two groups would likely have different results based on factors other than the soda.

Also while your previous post was in far better detail you need to understand that the original reply was lacking in all those details and conveyed a completely different message altogether. Also based on your replies I am not sure you understand what "anecdotal" is as you seem to think I was making universal statements about all populations and groups, so I will post the definition of anecdotal:

"based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence."

The meth users I have met came from abusive backgrounds and tried the drug after being on other stimulants. That doesn't mean you haven't met different types of meth heads or that all populations fit into my own personal experience. That is why I added anecdotal in there for everyone's viewing pleasure, so as not to convey my intention was a universal lump and dump.

Ending the conversation was a choice based on the fact that the discussion is off topic and has little to do with the original post.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
First off. I have been drinking 1-3 litres of Diet Pepsi (80's), Diet Coke (from 90's til Zero was introduced) and now Coke Zero, totalling the last 27 years and my teeth are fine.
Secondly, I used to smoke meth (called "P" in New Zealand for 'Pure Methamphetamine") too for a few years and, once again, my teeth are fine.
Meth users, usually the ones seen in police mugshots used to scare kids off meth, are not looking after themselves. Sure they do meth, but the also don't brush their teeth twice daily, or eat properly and that is their downfall. I never had their problems because I did brush at least twice daily and showered and wore clean clothes, and I also took a multivitamin and fish oil daily. I also had a 6 day a week job I turned up for. There is a difference between a meth user and someone doing everything they can to become a junkie bum/whore.
Also just to be clear, I stopped 'doing' meth because I couldn't afford it anymore after I lost my job in 2008.

edit on 9/6/2013 by Lucas73 because: added a word, bottom fish banana

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by an0nThinker
reply to post by fr33kSh0w2012

Instead of poisoning yourself try to just get a 5 gallon jar 15$ish plus 5 gallons reverse osmosis water for 25 to 40c a gallon from most grocery stores. If not costco usually has RO machines for 150$ so does amazon..

Dude I Live in Australia? we don't have gallon or 5 gallon jars 25 40c A GALLON WE WISH

6 bucks a bottle over here and they are brand named TAP WATER which tastes like #.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join