It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman allegedly arrested for carrying a Union Jack Flag (In Oldham England)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

There is no free speech protection in the UK only on the US constitution. I think they have a flag protection law (most European nations have some sort of national symbols (even covering governmental functions)).

Not defending the actions but there is no real information on the video to grant my support or objection. I think that flag burning or abuse of symbols in general is bad and unnecessary (even as a form of art) I think the line can only be drawn on intention...

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by dam00

Its the people that have died for that symbol why we are proud of it

Blind patriotism is a method of control. How many millions of civilians have died in the recent wars in the middle easr are you proud of those that killed them. Are you proud of why it was done..?

Im proud of the people that fought for what they believed to be right, call it what you like

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dam00

Im proud of the people that fought for what they believed to be right, call it what you like

People all over the world have fought for what they believed to be right. Are you just as proud of them too..

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

reply to post by dam00

Its the people that have died for that symbol why we are proud of it

Blind patriotism is a method of control. How many millions of civilians have died in the recent wars in the middle easr are you proud of those that killed them. Are you proud of why it was done..?

Milions of muslims have killed muslims. Slightly inconvenient for some. On the other hand I could be wrong in which case kindly list the conflicts and casualties: (I'll start : )

iran-iraq war (80-89) - muslim vs muslim - 1.5million dead (of which 100,000 chemical warfare)
First intifada (87-90) - muslim vs jew - few thousand
Gulf war (91) - mixed, neither muslim nor western, many muslim nations fought on the UN side - 40,000 approx dead of which 30,000 from UN coalition
Yemen civil war (94) - muslim vs muslim - 10,000 approx dead
iraq war (03) - muslim vs west - 30,000 muslim combatants dead, 40,000 western dead, 10,000 civilian
sadah insurgency yemen (04-10) - muslim vs muslim - 25,000 dead

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

reply to post by dam00

People all over the world have fought for what they believed to be right. Are you just as proud of them too..

Honestley probably not as proud, where are you going with this?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The cops gave a statement on what really happened so why is it still being discussed?
OP was irresponsible & provocative with the title.(IMO).
Too many want to jump on the bandwagon to express their hate.
Maybe we need to let people have their say. It might releave the tensions a bit & help understand why we have so much conflict.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dam00

The reasons why they are never arrested is because people with
an IQ above room temperature are scared of them.Remember what
happened to that british soldier just last week?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dam00

The word racist is usually only used to describe angry,white people.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by dam00

The word racist is usually only used to describe angry,white people.

Not all angry people are racists, but all racists are angry, beneath the veneer of respectability they try to present. I don't care what colour or creed people are - if they are going to spout irrational thoughts, I'm going to object to them.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I despise Neo-Nazis and the Westboro Baptist Church, but I completely support them being able to speak their filth freely. It's yet another concession we have to make to be able to speak freely ourselves.

Well said. In a free society, sometimes you have to accept the distasteful because the freedom of speech is the more important, greater, good.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
LOL, stop being so ridiculous OP. If she were arrested for "carrying the flag", our entire army would be arrested for having flags on their uniforms and our own Queen would have been arrested!

Clearly that's not the whole story. How exactly can you be arrested for carrying the flag of the very country in which you're being arrested in - do you see how ridiculous that is!

By goodness, it's even legal in Britain to wear a Nazi uniform and carry a Swatstika flag as long as it's not to incite hatred etc.

Don't be so ridiculous - please.

Isn't "incitement of hatred" a rather subjective term? Where radical Islamists also jailed for violent & hateful signs? Not only do we see legislation of thought in the law, but we also see quite a bit of uneven enforement.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

Check your sources.. maybe somewhere close to 650,000 people died in the Iraq war after 2003. This figure is well out of date now. Dont bother sending me conflicting estimates unless they are per reviewed science. The Lancet report to my knowledge is the only paper done on the death toll.

Last Updated: Monday, 26 March 2007, 15:53 GMT 16:53 UK E-mail this to a friend Printable version Iraqi deaths survey 'was robust' By Owen Bennett-Jones BBC World Service The survey estimated that 601,000 deaths were the result of violence, mostly gunfire. The British government was advised against publicly criticising a report estimating that 655,000 Iraqis had died due to the war, the BBC has learnt.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Findings Three misattributed clusters were excluded from the final analysis; data from 1849 households that contained 12 801 individuals in 47 clusters was gathered. 1474 births and 629 deaths were reported during the observation period. Pre-invasion mortality rates were 5·5 per 1000 people per year (95% CI 4·3—7·1), compared with 13·3 per 1000 people per year (10·9—16·1) in the 40 months post-invasion. We estimate that as of July, 2006, there have been 654 965 (392 979—942 636) excess Iraqi deaths as a consequence of the war, which corresponds to 2·5% of the population in the study area. Of post-invasion deaths, 601 027 (426 369—793 663) were due to violence, the most common cause being gunfire.

www.thelancet.com...(06)69491-9/abstract

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Interesting post, but we maybe don't have the full picture here. It may depend on what context the flag was being used / displayed, perhaps.

I am as pro national flag waving as the next person, but maybe on this occasion the flag was being used to stir up racial / religious hatred ?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dam00

From posters being arrested for speech and now this what the heck is going on in the UK. To be honest I am a little surprised.

They play down the religious radicals while clamping down on people against it. WOW

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
From a purely practical perspective, surely you can understand how it's easier to take an offensive flag off one woman - thereby nipping a potentially hostile situation in the bud - than it is to remove offensive signs from a large group of people among an even larger group of protestors?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thread closed pending review by staff of accounts.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join