It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lords Call To Revive Internet Monitoring Bill After Woolwich Killing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Lords Call To Revive Internet Monitoring Bill After Woolwich Killing

www.techweekeurope.co.uk

Following the murder of a man in Woolwich yesterday, a number of Lords have called for the controversial Communications Data Bill that seeks to impose more Internet monitoring on UK citizens to be put back on the table.

The killing in Woolwich, allegedly carried out by two extremists, which the government said appears to be a terrorist attack, has drawn many extreme reactions. Former government ministers, including former Labour home secretary Lord John Reid, have called for more Internet monitoring in response, angering privacy campaigners.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.independent.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Woolwich attack: MI5 'offered job to suspect
The 7/7 London Bombings Brilliantly Exposed as an Inside Job
edit on 26/5/13 by JAK because: link format correction

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Having recently read that Woolwich murderer Michael Adebolajo had been "pressurised" by British security services to work for them in England whilst being held in a Kenyan jail on suspicion of attempting to join a Somali terrorist group, and that he "may have struck a deal with MI5 to secure release by the African country"
(www.independent.co.uk...) - the hairs on the back of my neck then stood up when watching news reports linking demands for the introduction of the Communications Data Bill with the terrible recent events in Woolwich. Is it just a case of politicians trying to use this event for their own gain or does it go deeper than that?

I could not help but think back to the aftermath of the 7/7 bombings in London. There we had an alleged "mastermind" of a horrendous event - Haroon Rashid Aswat, identified as a British ‘Intelligence Asset’ and admissions by MI5 that two of the alleged bombers were "known" to British intelligence but that there were not enough resources at hand to monitor them fully.

It has now emerged that the two Woolwich murderers were also know to MI5, the same excuses have been put forward "MI5 do not have the resources to monitor all terrorist suspects" and the fact that there are now claims being made that one of them was being actively pursued by MI5 to work for them, is very disturbing.

On both occasions suspects were known to and claims made that they may have been working for - British intelligence. Add to that the fact that the powers that be seem to be using this dreadful event to push through previously very unpopular legislation - as with after 7/7 well it just does not sit right with me at all!

www.techweekeurope.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Makes me angry that we all have to suffer because of this "terrorist" attack:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Defy!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by cluedup

House of Lords has been in recess since May 23rd, not back to work until June 3rd, so how can they be calling for anything in an official capacity?

www.parliament.uk...

Can't see the IM Bill on the forthcoming agenda either, given what is currently before both houses:

services.parliament.uk...

I know it is very early days, but just saying it isn't up for discussion at the moment.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mufcutcakeyumyum
reply to post by cluedup

House of Lords has been in recess since May 23rd, not back to work until June 3rd, so how can they be calling for anything in an official capacity?

www.parliament.uk...

Can't see the IM Bill on the forthcoming agenda either, given what is currently before both houses:

services.parliament.uk...

I know it is very early days, but just saying it isn't up for discussion at the moment.

Well chances are it may be soon if that succubus Theresa May gets her way

edit on 27-5-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cluedup

1) they knew him... they were on speaking terms with him.....why do you need more snooping laws?

i`ll keep my rights thanks

2) like they dont check peoples emails anyway... come off it Theresa, behave!

edit on 27-5-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Broadband is an open book, the internet is an open book, wireless is an open book, mobiles are an open book and land lines are an open book. What are they trying to revive?
I suspect that our gracious lords have had one curry to many, and need to fart.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
If they want to make the United Kingdom a safer place they should send home the political refugees we seem to have accumulated over the last decade or so. Im not suggesting sending them all home as obviously some of them actually are what they claim to be, socially destitute and in need of a place to call home. Just the ones who refuse to socially integrate will our society or start screaming all this sharia law garbage/Jihad crap!

Leave our internet alone and address the real problem!
edit on 28-5-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by cluedup

My hairs stood up too mate..and probably for the same reasons yours did.

Highly, highly suspect sequence of events IMO.

I don't believe in coincidences.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Silly.

People who organize this kind of stuff do so through means that are hard to track, trace and place.

All this bill will do is lower the average innocent citizens privacy another notch.

How about the people that we pay *an unknown honest figure to* to combat these extremist peoples plans, actually do their job rather than having to make more and more personal sacrifices (and EVEN MORE MONEY) to make their jobs easier.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I find this utterly amusing, our government doesn't need any more laws to facilitate snooping on its civilians!
If it's in any way drug or terrorism related Military Intelligence are already allowed to eavesdrop (including just saying they "think it might be").
If it's over seas GCHQ picks it up.
In the rare cases where legally the government isn't allowed to intercept our communications they can get the Americans to do it for us via the Echelon system!

Seriously don't know what a new act could possibly do to make it easier for them.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Food for thought, the guy arrested at the BBC who gave the interview said that MI5 was hassling the guy and that it ended. What if it didn't end? What if MI5 recruited this guy to line him up for this? Funny how all the papers are now on high paranoid reporting of similar "terrorist" attacks and the like.

Might be nothing more than suspicion but it seems like the MSM are trying to get the public scared again

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
the guy arrested at the BBC who gave the interview said that MI5 was hassling the guy and that it ended. What if it didn't end? What if MI5 recruited this guy to line him up for this?

this is an interesting view indeed!

And within the realms of possibility.

How hard would it be to convince a higher up that using a known target against us to better protect everyone through the enabling of future monitoring bills and such? Easy peasy i think, we all know how the gov views the expendable forces anyway right

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The Lords may have had a valid arguement had the two terrorists been off the radar.
However they were known about since getting arrested in Kenya for terrorism...The security services claim to have a few thousand on their radar.
They know who the bad guys are so,how about my radical idea-

Instead of spying on EVERYONE like they do in China,North Korea and yes even the USA...Why not just spy on those who they know know are extremists-and link their data records to who they communicate with(thus catching others who would at least be more likley to also be extremists than joe public)?

That sounds more resonable,and more likley to get results than spying on everyone,and ending up with so much data to analyse it makes finding a bad group even harder.

But no-lets go down the totalitarian route instead.

Every damn political party in the UK mainstream claims to be against totalitarian state spying-until they get into power-anyone else notice that?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You brits better be wary, the same thing that they are doing to us here in the states they are doing to you.

And the words of the man that murdered that soldier will soon come to be prophetic. It's very chilling to hear someone say that when they "bust their guns" it won't be david cameron laying dead in the street, but innocent men, women, and children.

God bless you all over there.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
You brits better be wary, the same thing that they are doing to us here in the states they are doing to you.

And the words of the man that murdered that soldier will soon come to be prophetic. It's very chilling to hear someone say that when they "bust their guns" it won't be david cameron laying dead in the street, but innocent men, women, and children.

God bless you all over there.

I don't quite think God hasn't anything to do with it mate but I appreciate the sentiment

Originally posted by MaxSteiner
I find this utterly amusing, our government doesn't need any more laws to facilitate snooping on its civilians!
If it's in any way drug or terrorism related Military Intelligence are already allowed to eavesdrop (including just saying they "think it might be").
If it's over seas GCHQ picks it up.
In the rare cases where legally the government isn't allowed to intercept our communications they can get the Americans to do it for us via the Echelon system!

Seriously don't know what a new act could possibly do to make it easier for them.

The governments of the west won't be happy until we're all programmed little robots with no privacy, one of the saddest aspects is, there's people that still trust their governments

edit on 28-5-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

That was my line of thinking too and the realisation of it chilled me to the bone. We have seen over the years what these people in the shadows are capable of in the hope of fulfilling their own agendas but I strongly believe that the manner and circumstances in which this one precious life was taken is going to have repercussions in this country for years to come.

new topics

top topics

join