It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May Backs 'Snooper's Charter' Powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Theresa May Backs 'Snooper's Charter' Powers

news.sky.com

Theresa May has said it is "essential" that intelligence agencies have greater access to communications data following the murder of off-duty soldier Lee Rigby in Woolwich.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
So I guess it was kind of obvious that the Gov would jump on this to try and bring in more security measures.

When there isn't even a definitive definition of what a terrorist actually is, absolutely shocking to ram this in peoples faces, it was knocked back for a reason and it should stay there.

Maybe one day people will live with no privacy but not in my lifetime.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-5-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm not particularly surprised. It was only a few hours after the brutal murder at Woolwich that Boris was spouting off some nonsense about reigniting the Communications And Data Bill - either they're simply capitalizing on the "terrorist attack" (as any party would, sadly) or, more sinister, it was all...a conspiracy.

For the sake of sanity and because I have no concrete evidence whatsoever for the latter, Occam's Razor would have it that the former is the current situation.

And it's not as if there will be much opposition - people will be like, "Oh, but we must stop potential terrorist - we don't want our sons and daughters being killed/seeing butchering on the streets of London"...
edit on 5/26/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum
I'll carry that burden with you too, not in my lifetime will I see this happen and if the people were to accept this with open arms I would rather move to another nation or just die because quite frankly the idea of a life where my freedom can be abused lawfully is not a life worth living.

I will fight this bull with tooth and nail if I must because I will never accept it. Not while I call myself a British citizen.

Anyways these intelligence agencies always have plenty of information on these high profile attacks/killings that plague British MSM and yet they never seem to act upon them, inconsistancy is hardly an excuse to give them more powers. Whats next giving extra rights to those in authority compared to the average citizen
these implications make me sick at times.

False flag or not this whole Woolwich attack will be and has been used to push an agenda and the British public is eating it up like it's chocolate off the baking spoon.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
1 person was murdered, so the entire country must live in such a high degree of fear, they are willing to give up their rights. Sounds like they need a healthy dose of V for Vendetta.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The latest news is that the Conservative and Labour parties are to join forces to ensure the passage of the bill. A kick in the teeth for anyone who considers there is any difference between the two. The liberals are being touted as the ones trying to fight it but their treachery has them so marginalised now that they really do not count. It will be interesting to see UKIP's response.

Also just to say that anyone that thinks politicians bear any resemblance to human beings need only take in how they have jumped on this unfortunate loss of life to further their totalitarian agenda. Vile!

Labour and the Conservatives could unite to push through the controversial communications bill despite Lib Dem objections, a former Tory leader says.

BBC

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So our response to people who hate our rights and the rights of others, is to actually remove our own rights.

Living in a free society means living with the possibility of danger, not to capitulate to the actions of 2 men.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Agreed with all the other posters here.

It's been pointed out already that such a law would not have prevented the murder of Lee Rigby.

They are using his death to push their own agenda. They were pushing to get this through a while ago and were knocked back, but now they are using this emotionally charged tragedy to try and bring it up again.

Quite disgusting if you ask me. This is exactly what we shouldn't be doing. Implementing intrusive laws all designed to "protect" us.

Labour have openly said they will help Cameron bring this about if he wants it. Excuse me - what about what we, the people want? But then, I imagine most will welcome it because it's to protect us and if you don't agree with bringing this in then you must be a terrorist or paedophile.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

Yeah its completely ridiculous. One person was murdered. He was not an innocent member of the public. He was a soldier. The so-called "terrorists" had the opportunity to murder innocent civilians and did not. This speaks volumes for the type of people they are, yet sadly, many people will completely ignore this and continue to judge them as pure evil. They were not evil. They were screwed up definitely, and sure they went too far, and should not really have done what they did, but all this is overkill.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Also the push for anti-freedom legislation is made a nonsense of by two pieces of information both gleaned before the draconian measures of putting us all under such curtailment of our rights.

Abu Nusaybah told the BBC's Newsnight programme that his friend, who has arrested after the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby, rejected the request after he was approached. He also claimed that Adebolajo had been detained by security forces during a trip to Kenya last year. He alleged that Adebolajo had been tortured and sexually assaulted by troops at the time.

Telegraph

One of the suspects in the Woolwich murder case was arrested in Kenya in 2010, the Foreign Office has confirmed. It said Michael Adebolajo was arrested there and it gave consular assistance "as normal" in the circumstances. He was believed to have been preparing to fight with Somali militant group al-Shabab, a Kenyan government spokesman told the BBC, and was later deported.

BBC

new topics

top topics

join