It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Name Calling a basis to lose any Arguement

page: 1
6

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I want to rant about the name calling on ATS it really drags a thread down. Like when people start to use names and pick on each other like kids, it just fails to keep the discussion on track.
Ridiculing others and trying to shame them for taking a certain stance, just isnt wise - ever.

What also bothers is when people speak on behalf of others . Please stop it! Who ever is doing it, it isnt cool.

It just hinders what could be an interesting discussion and puts it back into the school yards mentality.
edit on 26-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)




posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more OP.

I thought this site was for online collaboration and truth finding.
If your opinion differs from a poster feel free to chime in an adult fashion.

I love reading the working threads, they are quite informative. I have learned a lot on this forum.

Mostly i read, never respond to threads as its mostly never warranted with all the super fast ATS'ers
jumping to respond; by the time i get my post up, the conversation has shifted to another point, sometimes pages deep.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I agree, but it is to expected on ATS - Now it amuses me



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yup - I agree.

Name calling, insults etc is pretty much a sure fire way to make people (at least me) assume your argument likely doesn't have any legs upon which to stand.

Really, if you feel secure in your point / beliefs then why should you resort to name calling to defend it? It just makes it appear as though either your argument is so flawed you can't defend it without insults or you lack the ability to defend it without name calling.
edit on 26-5-2013 by Frogs because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou
 


Yes, but im assuming its strictly adults. Hence my disappointment, most of their posts get removed asap. But for the seconds they stay up Im appalled . Do you also think conspiracy theorists need to have a little bit of decorum?
edit on 26-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
theres an advert on tv where an alien calls her brother an iranian troglodite. wierd huh.

if there is name calling on ats its usually a sign the thread died, but for 2 people who want the last word.
just close thread.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered
 


Two words: alert button.

If you see these things but do not report them, well.....you're part of the problem.

Please do not hesitate to use it, I guess ATS staff likes to know.

(Although, with the annoying frequency I use the alert button I'll probably be on some special do-not-invite-to-the-ATS-BBQ list)

Peace



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
reply to post by ObservingYou
 


Yes, but im assuming its strictly adults. Hence my disappointment, most of their posts get removed asap. But for the seconds they stay up Im appalled . Do you also think conspiracy theorists need to have a little bit of decorum?
edit on 26-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)


Completely, I'm a member of three forums, and the other two are highly informative, clean, and completely civil.

I come to ATS for breaking news and lulz from debates - my behavior is considerably different over on the other two more 'professional' sites.

I post all me good work to those - and share random thoughts and rants over here.

Everything gets lost after a few hours here anyway.



posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
I want to rant about the name calling on ATS it really drags a thread down. Like when people start to use names and pick on each other like kids, it just fails to keep the discussion on track.
Ridiculing others and trying to shame them for taking a certain stance, just isnt wise - ever.

What also bothers is when people speak on behalf of others . Please stop it! Who ever is doing it, it isnt cool.

It just hinders what could be an interesting discussion and puts it back into the school yards mentality.
edit on 26-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)


I somewhat agree with the name-calling stuff.

But I'm an "eye for an eye" person.

If someone starts calling me names, I might shoot a couple back... not out of anger, but rather as a psychological attack. After observing their arguing tactics, their beliefs, and most importantly, the holes in their logic, it makes it very easy to determine what names best suit them, and how they ought to be delivered.

I'm a fan of psychological warfare.

But don't mistake me, I don't retaliate like that unless someone crosses a line with me.

Otherwise, I'll take the high road.

And, as for speaking on behalf of others...

I don't understand that part.

What's wrong with that? Like-minded folks supporting one another in a debate sounds pretty awesome, and its one of my favorite aspects of ATS... and it seems like it would be all the more necessary is names are being thrown around.




posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Immature yes ,but sometimes it just feels good to call someone a blankety blnakety blank blank blank !!




posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered
 


Name calling and focusing on the member instead of the topic only reflects on the one doing the insulting. These people never learned how to communicate in an adult manner. They insult themselves.



posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to [u rl=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread949771/pg1#pid16460991]post by jiggerj[/url]
 


Says the guy with the avatar of possibly the most profilic insulter of all time ...



posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
reply to [u rl=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread949771/pg1#pid16460991]post by jiggerj[/url]
 


Says the guy with the avatar of possibly the most profilic insulter of all time ...


Why you ^%$$# *&&^ )(*&! Why don't you go %$#@ &&**(() )(*&^!



posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj
 



He was awesome. I have A New Leaf on VHS .Bought it for my mom ,years ago . I watch it when I need a laugh .



new topics

top topics



 
6

log in

join