It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland, Ore., rejects adding fluoride to drinking water

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 25 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Well, here is a piece of good news for a change. This seems to be the forum for these to go into and a thread of about a month ago seemed to cover an earlier period of debate on this very issue.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The mayor of Portland, Ore., has conceded defeat in an effort to add fluoride to the city's drinking water.

With more than 80 percent of the expected ballots counted late Tuesday night, the Multnomah County election website showed the fluoride proposal failing, 60 percent to 40 percent.

It seems the Mayor was a big personal supporter of this. I hope everyone remembers that, come election time. People power certainly worked this time, as the story goes on.

Voters in Portland twice rejected fluoridation before approving it in 1978. That plan was overturned two years later, before any fluoride was ever added to the water.

The City Council voted last year to add fluoride to the water supply that serves about 900,000 people. But opponents quickly gathered enough signatures to force a vote on the subject.
(Source: USA Today)

One city's victory, to be sure. Perhaps we can hope it leads to more? It would be nice to have water simply be water again and not even that most basic of things, carrying what TPTB tell us is good for us.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
If I lived in Portland I'd be moving out right now.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari

Why ? They rejected the proposal.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Unfortunately "they" have discovered a new way to give us unlabelled fluoride.

In some countries where large, centralized water systems are uncommon, fluoride is delivered to the populace by fluoridating table salt.

Source
There is a site that lets you search table salt (and sea salts also containing fluoride) manufacturers but I can't remember the address. The table salt I use contains fluoride, as did the sea salt I bought before that. It was a well-known brand.

ETA: La Baleine sea salt contains fluoride, bought in Holland.
edit on 25/5/13 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666

^^ That's why.

I don't want a lynch mob making decisions about my dental health.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Umm, the OP reports that they will NOT be adding fluoride. Therefore you get to choose your own dental / health preferences as far as fluoride is concerned.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Sankari

Umm, the OP reports that they will NOT be adding fluoride.

That's right, and why is that? Because a lynch mob turned up and decided I shouldn't have fluoride in my drinking water, so they stopped it from happening.

Therefore you get to choose your own dental / health preferences as far as fluoride is concerned.

My choice is a fluoridated water supply. The lynch mob has just denied me that choice. Now I have to move to some place that has it. That's not easy in Oregon, where only 22% of the state population receives fluoridated water.
edit on 25/5/13 by Sankari because: typo...

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

My choice is a fluoridated water supply.

Umm..... welcome to democracy? Sorry my friend but your choice is not my choice. When enough people think like me, you will have to find another source for these nasty, toxic chemicals.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

There is fluoride in a lot of products, so to calculate a safe amount to ingest is difficult. Breast Milk, Soy Milk, Fish and other products contain fluoride so you get your dental fix anyways, but adding more of it without having a way to calculate and be certain of how much the population takes into their system, and how much is safe or not, is just plain ignorant.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Gees....I never remember anyone around here ever being able to vote on whether fluoride was to be put in the water. I remember a big deceitful conditioning campaign going on about it being good for your teeth, that is back when there was a lot less cavities
Convince the local politicians and they make the laws and make people think consuming poison is good for you.

I'm glad that the fluoride was rejected there, I wish we could have a vote but know that a majority of the people here, especially in the middle class, are brainwashed and cannot see the truth. I feel that Excessive fluoride alters the production of the saliva in the mouth to make it so it does not contain the growth or repair hormones it is supposed to. This may also alter the healing properties of tears that repair the eyes. I have been studying the chemistry of these and there are possible connections here but I can't find any specific data.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

^^ That's why.

You don't want a lynch mob, i.e. informed voters, making decisions for you but you want the government, which is known NOT to take the people's true welfare to heart, make the decisions for you? What about making your own decision? Do you prefer being a door mat? The attitude seems extremely passive and uninvolved, more like a sheeple. So much for critical thinking. Yahoo for Portland Ore for making an informed decision and showing their power. Maybe they'll get that mayor out on their next voting period.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

^^ That's why.

I'm not sure how you would view this as a Lynch Mob. If the people had supported this and THEN their representatives had passed it ...just to see a group come along and derail the will of the vast majority? Well..I can name some other situations where that has and is happening ..but that would disgress. It's wrong though, whatever the cause.

In this case, as the article states, the people of Portland have been saying no and fighting this at various levels for over 30 years. The Politicians are the ones who just WILL NOT QUIT...ever. Again and again and again and again they come back with it. Well, they almost got it this time and the people were pissed off enough to stand up and do more than just make some comments at a meeting about being run over and ignored yet AGAIN.

I'd say this was democracy in action, not a lynch mob. The lynch mob consisted of the Council Members and Mayor who figured they were going to do this, regardless of what anyone had to say or think on the matter. Well....No so, it appears. Good for Portland, IMO.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Sankari

Umm, the OP reports that they will NOT be adding fluoride.

That's right, and why is that? Because a lynch mob turned up and decided I shouldn't have fluoride in my drinking water, so they stopped it from happening.

Therefore you get to choose your own dental / health preferences as far as fluoride is concerned.

My choice is a fluoridated water supply. The lynch mob has just denied me that choice. Now I have to move to some place that has it. That's not easy in Oregon, where only 22% of the state population receives fluoridated water.
edit on 25/5/13 by Sankari because: typo...

So, because YOU want it in your water, 60% of the population that does NOT should be forced to drink it?

Water is water, if YOU want to add additional chemicals to it that's your choice.

You talk about a mob making choices on your dental health, it's actually the opposite. YOU are trying to make choices on other people's health.

Its far easier to simply supplement your own intake than for someone else to avoid city water.

Why does it seem like people that think they are the only person that matters on the planet are always supporting these rotten ideas?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

If I lived in Portlad I'd be moving out right now.

^^ That's why.

And i don't want people like you forcing your poison into me...

If you want flouride stop being lazy and go brush your teeth.

How is forcing someone to consume a chemical ok in your mind rather than giving people a choice?
edit on 25-5-2013 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Our town voted against fluoride after all these years of use and WON. Didn't matter it was immediately back on the ballot and until it passes because people are tired of keeping up with it all, the city council will just keep on pushing it.
I don't think we are allowed to stop! I am so glad to be on a well, but they brought city water one block from us and the people there are not allowed to use their wells anymore!

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Go ahead and move! We will be better off without you mucking up the will of the PEOPLE!

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

^^ That's why.

Hahaha that is ridiculous . There is no health benefits of flouride, dental or otherwise.
Do some research . Some REAL research .

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

You do realize there's a difference between Calcium Fluoride and Sodium Fluoride right?

You do realize that Sodium Fluoride (the stuff that's in the water) is a by product of the aluminium industry, and it has been used as a rat poison? It's also one of the worlds most deadliest toxins.

Please read this for your own sake and your families.

www.arthritistrust.org...

Here's an excerpt from the paper :

Sodium Fluoride: the Obedience Drug by Stephan Cooter, Ph.D.Calcium fluoride and fluorine are nature’s mineral salts as found in some natural waters, in tea, and other foods. But sodiumfluoride comes from aluminum ore, and it is a byproduct of the modern aluminum industry. Unfortunately, sodium fluoride inter-feres with one of our most important neurotransmitters, acetylcho-line. (See "Fluoride: Governmentally Approved Poison," www.arthritistrust.org.... Ed.) Acetylcholine signals the [alleged] sodium pump in our bodies and turns the electrical current on; choline turns it off.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I am glad someone is standing up to these toxic chemicals. We found out that not only is floride not healthy to your body, that it can also be unhealthy for your teeth. About10 years ago my step daughters came to live with us and I noticed that some of their teeth had started to turn black.

These girls were under the age of ten, at the time. They had moved out of Detroit (where the water was fluoridated) and into the suburbs. We have well water, which goes through a house filtration system.

Needless, to say I took both girls to the dentist, and asked if we should get a floride rinse to help their teeth( yep, young and dumb back then) to my surprise the dentist told me that their teeth had been given TOO MUCH floride. So no floride for them and the teeth became stronger.

So floride is bad, and too much of it can be really bad for the teeth too.
edit on 25-5-2013 by StarsInDust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

^^ That's why.

lol how god damn ironic. Most people have to live with fluoridated water whether they want it or not... I certainly don't want it, yet I have little freaking choice in the matter because a lot of people seem to think it's great. The fact is I can make my own decisions about my dental health and I can brush my teeth with fluoridated toothpaste which contains high grade pharmaceutical fluoride. I apply the toothpaste topically and rinse my mouth out after finishing because fluoride is toxic as the tube notes. In that case I don't have to ingest toxic waste scraped from industrial smoke stacks and how I take care of my teeth is completely up to me and not the Government or anyone else. As it stands I must purchase bottled water to avoid ingesting fluoride. I know you're probably well aware of all of this, but I can't help but point out disinfo like this. Say hello to my little foe list.
edit on 26/5/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join