It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I hope that everyone is safe. This reminds me of a collapse that occurred close to me years ago
West Virginia Collapse

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

And therein lies the nut of it. The fact that the bridge failed is one thing, the effects for many will be heavily reflected in their commute, imposing stress on the rest of the system. The system is no longer properly maintained and stress is a potential catalyst to further disaster upon the weakest links of that system.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I am reading there is another bridge nearby, but with the main route closed, traffic is going to be a mess.....and you know people will be thinking as they go across that other bridge.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I asked my friend over in Seattle how important of a bridge this was, and he said it was pretty important, as it is on I-5.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Has anyone checked to see if HAARP was turned on?

I bet you there is something fishy going on. Coincidence? Bridges falling just after the recent events?

Something is definitely not right with this.

I'd say there is something fishy going on. Especially if you were in one of those cars with the fish swimming by.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
That's sad. I can imagine how scary it is because of how difficult a person can become trapped in their care during a terrible accident.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I used to live there....it's all over for the southbound'rs.....I liked that bridge.....but the others in seattle....look out
Alaskan viaduct....marigold or what ever that "M" bridge is called, the roman looking one.....

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

The bridge was built in 1955 and has a sufficiency rating of 57.4 out of 100, according to federal records. That is well below the statewide average rating of 80, according to an Associated Press analysis of federal data, but 759 bridges in the state have a lower sufficiency score.

759 bridges have LOWER sufficiency scores - but the US has drones and Bunker busting bombs so we must be awesome! Imagine the infrastructure we could have with some of that $ and technology!

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 23-5-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It was hit by a truck , no conspiracy here ! Load was too tall for the outter lane of the bridge . It's all over the news right now .

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
okay...I live here. Here is what I know:

At least three vehicles in the water that can be seen. One, possibly two bodies pulled from water.

Over-sized (tall) semi possibly hit and collapsed the bridge.

This is crazy....this is the main NS freeway for the PNW.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
At a fair Superstructure condition rating(BridgeHunter), I'd suspect similar bridges in that condition may have to be looked into if a truck hitting a top beam was all it needed to be brought down.

News Update:

Xavier Grospe, 62, who lives near the river, said he could see three cars with what appeared to be one person per vehicle. The vehicles were sitting still in the water, partially submerged and partly above the waterline, and the apparent drivers were sitting either on top of the vehicles or on the edge of open windows.

“It doesn’t look like anybody’s in danger right now,” Grospe said.

CBS is reporting that the collapse was caused by an oversized truck, which hit a beam across the top of the bridge.
Source

Driver's are safe. Always a good idea to carry a "car window breaker" just in case.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

BREAKING: Burlington PD says everyone is out of the cars under the #bridgecollapse. No fatalities so far. All patients transported.

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
That infrastructure bill, the GOP filibustered, might of kept that from happening....
Infrastructure funds, build the economy, and return funds back to the state and federal governments. Not to mention it pays off in the short term, medium and long terms as the money keeps accruing. Which is to say it would help to pay down national debt too. Not to mention helping to drop the unemployment rates, put money in the hands of consumers and grow businesses as well.

So, think we can hit the GOP in the head with this and make them wake up?

Link to report the below is taken from

Estimated Short-Run Effects In the short-run, a dollar spent on infrastructure construction producesroughly double the initial spending in ultimate economic output. The biggest effects of infrastructure spending occur in the manufacturing and business services sectors. In better economic times, spending on infrastructure construction generates a larger return. Yet even in a recession, the overall effects of initial spending still double output as they ripple through the economy. Estimated Long-Run Effects Over a twenty-year period, generalized ‘public investment’ generates an accumulated $3.21 of economic activity per $1.00 spent. Over twenty years, investing $1.00 in highways and streets returns approximately $0.35 in tax revenue to federal and state/local governments, of which $0.23 specifically accrues at the federal level. Over twenty years, investing $1.00 in sewer systems and water infrastructure returns a full $2.03 in tax revenue to federal and state/local governments, of which $1.35 specifically accrues at the federal level.

If not, how many more bridges have to fall before the GOP wakes up to the fact they shot themselves in the foot?

M.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I live here as well....man this is gonna make traffic a mess. the only two logical detours I can think of are absolutely inferior to carry the amount of traffic that I 5 does....it is in a bad spot as well the freeway access north of the bridge is pretty rural.

I saw a pic of the truck on the news a bit ago, and someone called in who was driving behind the oversized load and explained what he saw....the trucks load did hit the upper supports of the bridge and all went to hell afterwards. The bridge collapsed right after the truck hit.

Im pretty sure everyone survived though....

Some stiff fines are gonna be in place.....

I am just glad it wasnt a higher bridge....like deception pass bridge or something...woah!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by llmacgregor

Okay....I am not posting this on FB or anything, but this IS a conspiracy website. So here you go:

This bridge has been there since 1955. It is a main I5 corridor. What are the odds that a semi is going to hit and collapse it??? Plus, going into memorial weekend, literally cutting off the main artery into Canada.

I would think State Patrol would be on high alert for anything in similar, strategic locations.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Cant imagine being in that scenario. Glad to hear that there were no fatalities. Here is a picture of the truck and the load, According to what I have read the driver was having issues with this load in many areas and was on the verge of creating a wreck a couple of times.

edit on 24-5-2013 by Areilius because: fixed link

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I believe that everyone 'transported' is alive. I am hearing first hand accounts of at least one fatality, possibly more.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Oh I did not know that part. My wife just said there were no fatalities. Have not been watching the news so Im sure there have been updates.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I used to cross that bridge all the time when I lived in Everett, I always felt afraid for some reason while crossing it, now I know why.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join