It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FirstCasualty
Wouldn't that have been something...

Instead of giving trillions of dollars to self centered banks and cross your fingers for a "trickle down," Imagine trillions of dollars spent on failing infrastructure and GUARANTEED trickle UP.

Don't anyone do anything that makes sense though. Might frighten the old people that have spent there whole lives dealing with this psychotic BS.

Let's also thank Obama for giving trillions to unions and green energy companies. Companies that quickly went bankrupt.

No... Let's not do anything that makes sense.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by Sankari

Originally posted by sean
The government knows all these bridges are long overdue for inspections, maintenance, repair and replacement. we're to busy fighting wars and giving money away.

Responsibility for local infrastructure surely falls to state government, not federal?

That depends on the highway. This was a state highway so upkeep for it falls to the state.

I believe this is an Interstate highway (part of the federal system), so upkeep falls to them both.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Federal fuel tax

The United States Highway Trust Fund is a transportation fund which receives money from a federal fuel tax of 18.3 cents per gallon on gasoline and 24.4 cents per gallon of diesel fuel and related excise taxes.

It currently has three accounts, the Highway Account which funds road construction, a smaller 'Mass Transit Account' which supports mass transit and also a 'Leaking Underground Storage Tank Trust Fund'. It was established 1956 to finance the United States Interstate Highway System and certain other roads. The Mass Transit Fund was created in 1982. The federal tax on motor fuels yielded $28.2 billion in 2006.

History

Prior to the 1956 Highway Revenue Act and the establishment of the Highway Trust Fund roads were financed directly from the General Fund of the U.S. Treasury. The 1956 Act directed federal fuel tax to the fund to be used exclusively for highway construction and maintenance. The Highway Revenue Act mandated a tax of three cents per gallon. The original Highway Revenue Act was set to expire at the end of fiscal year 1972. In the 1950s the gas tax was increased to four cents.

The 1982 Surface Transportation Assistance Act, approved by President Ronald Reagan in January 1983, increased the tax to nine cents with one cent going into a new Mass Transit Account to support public transport.

In 1990 the gas tax was increased by President George H. W. Bush with the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990 to 14 cents - with 2.5 cents of the increase going to the Highway Fund and the other 2.5 cents going towards deficit reduction.

In 1993 President Clinton increased the gas tax to 18.4 cents with the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 with all of the increase going towards deficit reduction. The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 redirected the 1993 increase to the Fund.

en.wikipedia.org...

There you have it. Prepare for another tax increase.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
1 in 9 bridges in the US is structurally deficient. We will be seeing this more and more, as our government goes into more and more debt spending money on foreign wars, foreign aid, and social programs at home.
Perhaps it will play into future marshal law scenarios, as the dollar collapses, people lose jobs and homes, and the government knows they cannot afford to fix the coming problems with roadways, railways, sewers, water, power, etc.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by MidnightTide

A couple of years back, the Sacramento Bee (the biggest paper in the valley, that crushed the competition) ran an article on the state of bridges in the state.
There is a bridge on I-80 that crosses the sacramento river.
It is A HUGE ONE 3 or 4 lanes each way and very high, it had I believe 600 cracks in the structure, that still have not been fixed.
This will make wonderful horrible headlines someday.

If only folks were not greedy in their positions and actually worked for the people and fixed the infrastructure before lives were lost...
Maybe the next officials after the coming revolution will take their jobs seriously.

If you think the Bridges are bad in the Central Valley you should see the levees. They are in very poor condition. So poor in fact that the next 100 year storm could very well put the entire Sac Valley under three feet of water.

Scientists consider Sacramento — which sits at the confluence of the Sacramento and American Rivers and near the delta — the most flood-prone city in the nation. Experts warn that there are two events that could destroy the levees and set off a megaflood. One is an earthquake; the second is a violent Pacific superstorm, like the one called the Pineapple Express, which sweeps water off the ocean around Hawaii and dumps it on the mainland with firehose intensity while battering the coast with high wind and waves. A megaflood would not arrive as gradual seepage; it would be a rapid submerging of hundreds of square miles. Salt water would be sucked from the bay (in what is known as the big gulp) and impelled into the delta, contaminating drinking supplies for 25 million people, destroying some of the nation’s most productive farmland, washing away buildings, highways, gas lines and railroads and causing landslides. A flood in the delta could sink downtown Sacramento under as much as 20 feet of water, as well as cripple California (the eighth-largest economy in the world), hobble the nation and disrupt global trade.

Link to 2011 NY Times article

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Has anyone checked to see if HAARP was turned on?

I bet you there is something fishy going on. Coincidence? Bridges falling just after the recent events?

Something is definitely not right with this.

LoL the media actually reported that some guy praying on the side with a rolled up carpet was being investigated as a terrorism suspect as it was going on, I guarantee you think that is just fine and dandy huh.

You have certainly become more than a laughing stock.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
security footage of the collapse here

www.king5.com...

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
not sure if this has been mentioned but here in the uk we pay road tax which is "supposed2 go towards highway maintainence and the like dont you have anything like that in usa or is it government funded ?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
reply to post by winofiend

Little or no maintenance on the highway infrastructure.

Could have fooled me, nothing BUT maintenance year round you stop over and over at works sites as you go anywhere on that highway. I honestly don't think a bridge built in 1955 should just fall, maybe related to whatever is making holes everywhere illing birds and fish, everything seems weird now-days.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
oh lord what's next?

I guess people will start blaming Mothman

hehe

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
bah double posted somehow due to lag

edit on 5/24/2013 by Cito because: edited - somehow i got doubleposted due to lag or browser hiccup

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I don't understand why there wasn't a speed limit for trucks. In the vid it's poited out, that the last truck was doing 55mph? Thats 8 mph faster than the maximum speed for trucks above 3.8 tons in germany.

We have old bridges too, but you will see speed limits to decrease the shockwaves conducted by heavy vehicles.

We also have a tech inspection for literally everything used, even a stapler. Isn't there any entity in the US, which controls stuff and closes, let's say a bridge, before it collapses?

Tech inspection for cars is really hard to get through if your car is older.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I bet you there is something fishy going on. Coincidence? Bridges falling just after the recent events?

HAARP?

What a diabolical superweapon HAARP must be! It can knock down buildings and now bridges, heat up the atmosphere, shoot down planes, cause earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes, create holograms, and who knows what else! I don't even know why we need a standing army or weapons of war. We have HAARP!

The world is a huge place. There are a heck of a lot of bridges, and some do collapse. This was a small bridge, and a truck hit a support beam. Not every single event on the planet is a conspiracy, as much as that will disappoint some of you.

Every single day on this planet there is war, explosions, earthquakes, and weird accidents. Big planet.. lots going on.. not everything has a sinister agenda behind it.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

ok ..

this is the 1st my wife and I heard of this .. it's 2days old...and we live in Oregon ..

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
oh lord what's next?

hehe

That's actually the first thing that came to mind.

Saw the pics of the vehicles in the water with the lights on, and thought "Ok, how many of these people have been getting calls from Indrid Cold"?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

HAARP?

What a diabolical superweapon HAARP must be! It can knock down buildings and now bridges, heat up the atmosphere, shoot down planes, cause earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes, create holograms, and who knows what else! I don't even know why we need a standing army or weapons of war. We have HAARP!

The world is a huge place. There are a heck of a lot of bridges, and some do collapse. This was a small bridge, and a truck hit a support beam. Not every single event on the planet is a conspiracy, as much as that will disappoint some of you.

Every single day on this planet there is war, explosions, earthquakes, and weird accidents. Big planet.. lots going on.. not everything has a sinister agenda behind it.

I think they were being facetious.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
oh lord what's next?

hehe

I heard they saw something large in the sky just before it went down

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

That's what happens when your government invests taxpayers dollars into wars as opposed to maintaining current infrastructure. You should expect more of the same.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
That infrastructure bill, the GOP filibustered, might of kept that from happening....
Infrastructure funds, build the economy, and return funds back to the state and federal governments. Not to mention it pays off in the short term, medium and long terms as the money keeps accruing. Which is to say it would help to pay down national debt too. Not to mention helping to drop the unemployment rates, put money in the hands of consumers and grow businesses as well.

So, think we can hit the GOP in the head with this and make them wake up?

Thank you,

I've been waiting for the Libertarians to tell us why this is the fault of the government, that if we all paid our own way the bridges (and roads, and tunnels, and power lines and...and) would be just hunky dory).

Oh - wait - it's God's retribution for ..... well something they do in Washington state - hug trees maybe.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by llmacgregor

Okay....I am not posting this on FB or anything, but this IS a conspiracy website. So here you go:

This bridge has been there since 1955. It is a main I5 corridor. What are the odds that a semi is going to hit and collapse it??? Plus, going into memorial weekend, literally cutting off the main artery into Canada.

I would think State Patrol would be on high alert for anything in similar, strategic locations.

Now ready - do you think that could get funded - being that salaries would have to be paid to human people not corporate people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join