It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny old inventions from the past.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The 1920's didn't just bring us the horrors of World War 1, but also inventions like the lie detector, traffic signal, penicillin and a electronic box which showed moving images in black and white, which was some what like a TV we use today. With out the people who came up and created these ideas, where would we be now? No TV, Internet, Facebook/Twitter!

Even the 1930's showed promise in inventions, bring us us the jet engine, helicopter, ballpoint pen, photocopier and tea bags. But what about the inventions that never made it or inventions that people found hilarious or dumb, what happened to them?

Well below are some cool inventions from the past, up to the 60's, check them out!

Face protection from storms (Canada, 1939)

Car with shovel for pedestrians (Paris, 1924)

Amphibious bike 'Cyclomer' (Paris, 1932)

Anti-puncture elaborate system (Israel, 1969?)

Car-dog walk

Baby cage (New York 1967)

Not really funny, but quite impressive and possibly dangerous. Who will let nowadays babies in such cages?
:

Cat-Mew machine (Japan, 1963)

This mechanical cat can meow ten times a minute and the eyes light up each time. The device for scaring rats and mice is from Japan and is powered by a two-watt motor.

Dog restrainer (USA, 1940)

A special brush

A curved barrel machine gun (1953)

Telephone-wire bicycle (USA, 1880)

This 1880s "aerial bicycle" was devised by American inventor S. T. Hachenberger. He saw the country's newly erected telephone network and imagined a method for maximizing travellers' chances of suffering both a fatal fall and electrocution. Surprisingly, after a test run on a trial track, the concept was wisely abandoned...

Food-storage suit (1850)

In the mid-19th century, the gentleman of leisure apparently spent much of his time worrying about whether he had enough provisions to last him for a month while partially submerged. This invention, a "life-suit" dreamt up by a Mr. Beck, solved that conundrum by creating a partially submersible armored suit that stored enough food to last an entire month -- allowing the well-dressed man inside to concentrate on figuring out how he was going to get back up without the use of external arms, should he trip on an errant fish...

The isolator

Enough of noise? Need to concentrate? Try the isolator! .... If you're not afraid of suffocation...

Want more?

Source
edit on 23-5-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Lol, that anti-puncture 'elaborate' tire system. Two brushes...

edit on 23-5-2013 by Abstruse because: I forgot the elaborateness of this invention's advertisement.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abstruse
Lol, that anti-puncture tire system. Two brushes...

I know huh?! I thought it was a street sweeper!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Oh, the epicness!

Humanity at it's best. When E.T. arrives THIS is what we should show them, none of that Voyager crap!
They will understand us better this way.

S & F for bringing a smile to my face.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The gun with the curved barrel was developed by Nazi Germany during World War 2. A good documentary that ran on HBO in the 1980s Gizmo has lots of great old inventions.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I love going through old adverts and inventions, cures for baldness are often very amusing, here is one fore some belt btw where do you think the loop at the front of the belt goes...just wondering

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I LOVE - The Baby Cage ! I think all babies should have one.

This gives the kid fresh air, a great view and the kid will quickly get over any fear of heights he may have in the future.

I don't have kids or live on the second floor but if I did, I'd use this awesome device every day. Of course, I'd make mine a lot stronger - but I can't see any drawbacks to this device if it's designed well enough.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

I don't have kids or live on the second floor but if I did, I'd use this awesome device every day. Of course, I'd make mine a lot stronger - but I can't see any drawbacks to this device if it's designed well enough.

No drawbacks at all apart from the horrible death the baby will suffer when the cage eventually fails and plummets to the earth. It makes me cringe just looking at it.

It's also possible the baby may be absolutely terrified. I know I would be.
edit on 24-5-2013 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I'd like to know what the dog restrainer is supposed to do.

"Now you can squeeze your dogs belly and sides from over 6 feet away! Why, you ask?! Well, why the hell not!".

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Funny now but not so funny then.
State of the art hard drive.

Oh how times have changed.

edit on 24-5-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind the vibrator thing. Looks fun

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim

No drawbacks at all apart from the horrible death the baby will suffer when the cage eventually fails and plummets to the earth. It makes me cringe just looking at it.

It's also possible the baby may be absolutely terrified. I know I would be.
edit on 24-5-2013 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

Thats why i said I'd make mine stronger - the cage in the picture doesn't look too strong and that kid is Fat.

I think most babies will not be afraid. We learn fear as we grow up. People teach the babies to swim by throwing the baby into the water - those kids don't have any fear of water yet so they learn to swim very young. I think if you let the baby approach the cage at his own pace he will be fine with it.
edit on 24-5-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The "cat organ". You put tuned cats in the little slots, and this thing squeezed their tails.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I think most babies will not be afraid. We learn fear as we grow up. People teach the babies to swim by throwing the baby into the water - those kids don't have any fear of water yet so they learn to swim very young. I think if you let the baby approach the cage at his own pace he will be fine with it.
edit on 24-5-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

I thought the throwing the baby in the water thing was something to do with the fact babies already know how to swim, from being in the womb, but it's something they forget. So you chuck them in early while it still seems natural. Not sure of the accuracy of that, I do know it was a common belief at one point though.

You are right that is a fat baby.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
That's no baby!

that's Mickey Rooney before his career took off

ww1 in the 20's? I knew I'd regret stepping on that butterfly back in 1913

thanks for all the fish

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Food-storage suit (1850)

This invention, a "life-suit" dreamt up by a Mr. Beck, solved that conundrum by creating a partially submersible armored suit that stored enough food to last an entire month

But what does he do when the food is ... um ... digested?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Even before the internet, the world had it share of cat photos and cat memes. Good Find!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Baby Cage is awesome. I bet some of them were pretty safe. I bet that'd be fun for them.

Actually, just kidding. I'm no expert on building things, but I do know that babies cannot usually survive dramatic falls.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
funny how the baby cage is getting people all riled up...

do you worry about the A/C in your window falling out and hitting someone?

no worries anyway, thing was made in USA

top topics

<<   2 >>

join