It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. man fined $1000 after saving boy's life

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
And people wonder why more people don't step up and help or get involved. Hell since he already had his rights infringed on by registering the damn gun in another state it probably didn't even occur to him that it was illegal for him to have it there.

Stupid backwards laws in stupid backwards cities. Should never have to register a gun.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This was a union thing. The DC police can't have a civilian doing their job and not be in the union, now can it? They had to charge him with something!

www.fop-mpd.com...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Next time he should let the dogs attack, and quietly close his curtains and get back to watching his TV while his wife asks "Do you hear something? Sounds like a child screaming"

"No honey, I don't hear anything"

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by St0mP121
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

You are looking at this the wrong way. i am a firm beleiver that you should be able to have a gun. But that gun must be registered to you. its not that hard to ask. unless it is hot or stolen or whatever. but register your dam^ guns

So what should he do if one of the other men was carrying the gun, dropped it out of panic and jumped over the fence? Should he have just looked at it and jumped over the fence too?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't gun registration done on a Federal level? If the gun was already registered with the feds in a different state doesn't that trump state/local laws? I know different states have different gun laws, but if you follow the federal gun laws...I dunno, it's all about collecting some cash in my eyes. Sad part about this is that anyone reading this story will think twice before doing the same thing, those split seconds could mean the difference between life and death.
edit on 22-5-2013 by JeffreyCH because: Add more opinion

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Give him the fine... and then a $1000 reward.
What a brave man.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JeffreyCH

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't gun registration done on a Federal level?

That is wrong. A federal registry (at least an overt one) is explicitly forbidden by law. Covertly however there are several layers of federal registration. Of which eTrace is perhaps the most well known.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
He is not being fined for saving the boys life. The title is somewhat ambiguous, but it is as it says. He is being titled for something which occurred preceding (after) the act of saving the boys life. Which is the possession of an unregistered gun.

He is being fined for the possession of the unregistered gun, not for saving the boys life, and he is not being punished for saving his life, if anything he is being rewarded by avoiding criminal gun charges.

I am not suggesting that I feel this is justice, but the law is objective and exists whether or not you think it is right. If you know you are in violation of it and you do nothing to correct this, the blame rests with you. This is just part of life.

Great work on helping the boy however, it is sad that this is the result.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nuke2013
So, let me get this straight....If a child is in the middle of a four lane highway and about to be struck by a big rig and you take it in to your own hands to jump accross the lanes and rescue the child...You should get a ticket for J-walking ?

My point is: Laws CAN be broken in extreme circumstances if they are to save another's life.

Well said Nuke2013.

Shame how many hypocrites in this thread who keep ranting about the "law is the law".

A question for all the sanctimonious law worshipers who stated that no one has the right to break the law, no matter the circumstances and if a person does (even to save a child's life) they must pay the consequences...

Does this count when you break the law which you profess to worship so admittedly?

How many laws do you break each day, either by ignorance, mistake, knowingly or perhaps purposely for your own excuse/agenda?

Did you speed today or in the recent past and get away with it? How many times have you turned yourself in for it or paid a self induced speeding ticket to the state and with it the insurance company's fair share?

Throw away batteries in the trash in the last few years?

If not/ none of the above, search the tens of thousands of fed, state and local laws in your area, then go over everything you did over the last 3-5 years because there is still time to turn your self in, maybe do a little jail time and pay thousands of dollars in penalties so you can live with yourself.

Or does it only apply to others or when you are pretending to be something you're not over the net... (rhetorical)

edit on 23-5-2013 by kneverr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Originally posted by butcherguy

Could he have been the hero if he didn't go get his gun out of the house???
Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know.

Since I wasn't there, I can't be completely sure exactly how it all went down.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Could he have been the hero if he didn't go get his gun out of the house???
Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know.

Since I wasn't there, I can't be completely sure exactly how it all went down.

Yes, maybe he could have talked sweetly to the ravenous pit bulls and told them not to attack anyone because that isn't really nice and that they should go to their yard for a time out.

Do you think any of the gunless neighbors that scrambled over to fences to save their own hides tried that solution?

Cops shoot chihuahuas in peoples houses when they are serving search warrants because they are barking.... how do you think a cop would have handled this situation? I would bet that they would have shot the dogs.
edit on 23-5-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Yes, maybe he could have talked sweetly to the ravenous pit bulls and told them not to attack anyone because that isn't really nice and that they should go to their yard for a time out.

Do you think any of the gunless neighbors that scrambled over to fences to save their own hides tried that solution?

Cops shoot chihuahuas in peoples houses when they are serving search warrants because they are barking.... how do you think a cop would have handled this situation? I would bet that they would have shot the dogs.
Like I said, I don't know. I wasn't there.

In order to irrefutably prove a point, you need more than assumptions & insinuations.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I just thought maybe you could give us an alternative to shooting the dog, since you seem to think that he could possibly have still been a hero without retrieving his gun from his abode.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Third time's a charm??

I DO NOT KNOW. I WAS NOT THERE.

Comprende?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join