It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. man fined $1000 after saving boy's life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The fine was a thousand bucks.....How much were the guys lawyer fees on top of that. Lawyers love these kind of things, win or lose they get paid.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I thought in extreme cases that the law should never hinder the safety of a life, of course that does not count for doing things which puts other lifes in danger.

stupid stuff this is.

I hope the parents find the 1,000$ and give the man and let him know that his help was vital and that dispute the crazy laws he should do it again.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Listen up folks!!

Don't let their evil dissuade you!

Do the RIGHT THING no matter what the punishment!
Save that Kid even if you go to jail for ever!!

Because this is about your own very soul. All this material crap is an illusion.
Think.
I didn't realize that was part of the debate. Unless I somehow missed it, no one has said that he should not have shot.

Contrary to what some have claimed(and the title of this thread):
He didn't get charged for saving the kid.
He didn't get charged for killing the dogs.
He didn't get charged for firing several shots into either Public Property, or someone else's property.

reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

Maybe he should have said that it was a ''miracle''....and he found the gun just laying on the ground.
Fine ($1000 + legal fees????) > Gun Value ($400~); do the math.

[color=9DCAD1]From behind the wooden fence of his front lawn, Mr. Srigley began firing at the dogs.

politicaloutcast.com...

edit on 5/22/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

So this isnt a simple fine at all. Its confiscation of private property. Anyone want to place bets on whether or not he'll get them back?
I'll gladly accept that bet. Make it an even $100??

[color=9DCAD1]Prosecutors said he can have his guns back when he gets them registered in Maryland where he’s planning on moving.

politicaloutcast.com...

Last I knew it was nigh impossible to register a gun in DC. After Heller was decided a reporter went through the steps required and it took her months and thousands of dollars and it she was only able to get it done that quickly because she was a high profile case.
Which one is it:
Is it nigh impossible, or is it a slow process which may take a few months?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
They can't light a cigarette in their own apartments without a black helicopter scanning them. An unregistered gun is a serious problem; which begs the question how did authorities miss it for so long? And why are there pit bulls there, chasing somebody? Now wait a minute, why didn't he bother to register it?

What of the perspective of the boy who was running? Did he just jump out of a backyard or something?

This story is all kinds of messed up. The only orderly thing was the fine.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Maryland is not DC. And I still doubt he'll get them back. I've family that have been waiting years to get their property back and they're in relatively gun-friendly locations. The cops keep "losing" paperwork and "misplacing" the property all the while lawyers happily accept payment and town clerks collect fees.

Read: Emily Gets her Gun for the DC account.
edit on 22-5-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Contrary to what some have claimed(and the title of this thread): He didn't get charged for saving the kid. He didn't get charged for killing the dogs. He didn't get charged for firing several shots into either Public Property, or someone else's property.

The thread title says he got fined after saving the kids life.... that is true.

He was fined (and they took it easy on him!) for possessing a gun. He is not a felon. Laws requiring registration of firearms are considered to be an infringement by some, and that includes myself.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

reply to post by butcherguy

Originally posted by butcherguy

ok whatever, but you said this↓, which is definitely not true.

When the law says that you must punish the hero....

Maryland is not DC. And I still doubt he'll get them back.

That is yet to be determined.

$100??

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
So, let me get this straight....If a child is in the middle of a four lane highway and about to be struck by a big rig and you take it in to your own hands to jump accross the lanes and rescue the child...You should get a ticket for J-walking ?

My point is: Laws CAN be broken in extreme circumstances if they are to save another's life.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Contrary to what some have claimed(and the title of this thread): He didn't get charged for saving the kid. He didn't get charged for killing the dogs. He didn't get charged for firing several shots into either Public Property, or someone else's property.

He was fined (and they took it easy on him!) for possessing a gun. He is not a felon. Laws requiring registration of firearms are considered to be an infringement by some, and that includes myself.

The gun was lefgaly purchase and registered when purchased...What else do you want !!!???

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I think they should at least lower the fine to like 400$ or something for being a hero and saving the boys life.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
So, did the cop who heard the shots, came over and started shooting the dogs as well, get a fine?
It sickens me too see what our country is becoming.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

That proves the point in my previous post:

They're mainly concerned with revenue.

Merciful? What a freakin' joke. Legal extortion.

"Pay us some money, and everything will be settled and A-ok."

That's all it's ever about. Pay a fine, make a deal and pay a fine, etc, just give us the money.

Mafia at work.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

reply to post by butcherguy

ok whatever, but you said this↓, which is definitely not true.

Maryland is not DC. And I still doubt he'll get them back.

That is yet to be determined.

$100??

Could he have been the hero if he didn't go get his gun out of the house???
His gun, which since he didn't follow the strict (and IMO unconstitutional) law in DC, was not legal for him to possess.
edit on 22-5-2013 by butcherguy because: grammar

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak
unleashed pit bulls

And they gave the person who lets their unleashed PIT BULLS run free a medal of honor or something.

I am sure the dogs appreciate running free and respect their owner for their empathy in the dogs desire to not be leashed or penned in, but small game like neighborhood children sets off pack mentality in aggressive breeds, especially when children run.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Maybe he should have said that it was a ''miracle''....and he found the gun just laying on the ground.
Fine ($1000 + legal fees????) > Gun Value ($400~); do the math.
edit on 22-5-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

That crime doesn't pay off?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
I don't know what you guys expect to happen. Are you saying we should let crimes slide as long as they're committed during a good deed?

What they should do:
- Give him the minimum punishment for the crime.
- Give him a medal by the mayor.
- If they send him to jail, have the judge and mayor give him the medal upon release.

You can't just ignore laws because somebody is an awesome bad ass. At the same time, I hope they make him feel like a hero no matter what.

That tells me that there is a problem with the law.

As another post stated, he broke the law prior to saving this kid. He did not go and buy a gun just to save him. Is he an awesome guy that I would like to have as a neighbor? Hell yeah. I'd even chip in to help him pay his fine.

But I don't think we can make exceptions based on these situations. Sometimes, it's a matter of the cop pretending he didn't see it but, once the crime is acknowledged, we can't just ignore it.

I don't know about other areas but in the Pacific North West, we have actual superheros. I'm not kidding. They dress up and actually help people. Seriously. Now, if cops allowed them to break laws just because they said they were helping people, it would turn into a nightmare. It falls into the "vigilante" scenario category.

Again, I would make sure this dude is treated like a hero but he still needs to observe the "punishment" for breaking the law. What's not illegal is for the community to gather to his aid and pay his fines like they should.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Is it me or are cops jealous of heroes ?

It's not the first time I hear stories like this where the hero gets punished for taking matters in his own hands.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

As another post stated, he broke the law prior to saving this kid. He did not go and buy a gun just to save him. Is he an awesome guy that I would like to have as a neighbor? Hell yeah. I'd even chip in to help him pay his fine.
reply to post by Cuervo

I wrote about this in an earlier post.
If he stood there and watched the dog eat the child, no one would have known that there was a gun in his house. If he chose to remain uninvolved, he would not have been arrested.

He made the right choice.

Like it or not, the hero was arrested, because of an unjust law.

I have never endorsed vigilantism in this thread.

edit on 22-5-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

There is no Tierany like petty Tierany.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join