It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Allergies At Work, Forced To Take Lower Paying Job

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Oh,i put this in the social issues because i didnt really know if this was a political issue or social issue and i didnt see a law section.

So i work with a lot of chemicals and i have been going through a major staph infection that became systemic. I have been to several doctors appointments and the doctor wrote me a recommendation for work requesting i take on a different job. The general manager said that the only job is a 9$ hr job working in the warehouse. I make 13$ and hour with full benefits and i have a trade skill job. Im good at my job. I found out that allergies are ruled to be apart of the Disabilities act and they are to give me reasonable accommodation. So What do i do? Anyone have any advice? Should to try to collect unemployment until i find a new job? Should i have them pay my medical bills?

USAToday

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Iowa residents who suffer from occasional medical attacks such as those those from severe allergies and epilepsy are protected from discrimination by the federal Americans With Disabilities Act, the Iowa Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday. The case involved Shannon Knudsen, 30, a mother who in May 2011 sued Tiger Tots Community Child Care Center in Madrid, Iowa, after the facility declined to accept her child because of the child's tree nut allergy.

Case precedence?

So im not sure whats going on and thanks for anyone with advice and extra information in advance.

edit on 21-5-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

You seem to have left out a few things that are very important.

What does your allergy and your job have to do with each other?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I work with chemicals on a printing press and im having a reaction to the chemicals.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

how long have you been there?, has your the company ever gave you any hassle? sounds like they are willing to keep you on even with allergies, so i i think they are willing to work with you, is it possible to stay on there while you look for another job? you probaly will make more money than unemployment.

ETA what i'm trying to say, are you loyal to this company and are they good to you? can you work something out untill something better comes along.

edit on 21-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Thats true. I do a really good job. Not to toot my own horn so they are willing to work with me. If it comes down to it i would rather look for another job because i have a lot of experience.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
An allergy should not be considered a disability.
If avoiding the allergen clears you up, find a job that doesn't put you around the allergen.
There are certainly other jobs available.....when you are disabled from working at all, doing any job, THAT is when you apply.
Anything less is just working the system, and makes you a leech to society.
Just my opinion, sure, but probably shared by many others.

link   

I would always encourage work rather than disability, personally.

I'm also sure you've exhausted all possible ways for you to work in your current position.

Have you looked for any other jobs?

link   

What proof do you have?

What does your staph infection have to do with an allergy?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

No thats pretty much my last step. I have exhausted all means trust me.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I used to run a printing press.
The chemicals used to clean the blanket are harsh.

Why can't they switch chemicals to something you wont' react to.

www.nytimes.com...

They need to accommodate you.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

The allergy cracked my skin and caused bleeding which resulted in the staph infection. I have proof. I have been to about 6-7 appointments, the last 3 with a dermatologist.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The problem is that we use a wide range of chemicals that are made of more chemicals once broken down and that requires months of testing and isolating exactly whats causing the reaction.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

This sounds like a work related injury and a job for Workman's Comp. I believe, under WC they have to pay you at least 85% of your regular pay. 85% of $13 is $11.05. Has your employer created a claim for you? Maybe you should see a WC lawyer.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

That makes sense. A workman's comp may be the OP's best bet.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Have they provided gloves and a mask to you? Is that something you can consider? If the ink causes allergies, I would think wearing gloves would eliminate the exposure.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Im going to have to look into that.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I tried that to, i ran into another issue but that stems from the original issue. I put the gloves on when my hands were reacting and thats when i got the staph infection. I had a fungal infection grow and go systemic which became a systemic staph infection because of the condition of my hands and skin. To much sweat at the press, its hot.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Im really not trying to be a leech ill probably have another job paying the same money in a week but for that week im not financially able to cover all of my cost of living like that thats the real problem.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Sounds like a case of workmans comp to me.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

"I work with chemicals on a printing press and im having a reaction to the chemicals."

That says a lot. They have to provide a safe enviroment for you and reasonable accomodation to your health issues...without them changing the machinery, methods and organization...just for you and your allergies. That could cost them lots of $$$. So, this sounds as though you cannot do your job sufficiently without risk to your health due to recently developed medical condition....and thats on you, not them. Not their fault.

Given all this....I'd suggest taking whichever pays you more...the $9 and something...or the 80% of your old pay + benefits you used to get on perm-temp disability.

Agreed...its not hopeful...and no matter what...it sounds like both will make all your benefits go away....unless you just deal with your allergies at the old pay and benefits.

Good health and luck to you....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join