It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satanism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Been doing a little research on this seemingly taboo subject on here: Joy of Satan - I'm not sure if this has been posted before so I apologise in advance, but I would like to know people's thought and opinions on the subject. I have had 14 years of evangelical Christian indoctrination, and have come out at the other end feeling conned. In a world so full of religion could there be some reverse psychology here in that Christianlty\Muslim\Jew etc etc are the religions that lead you away from the truth which is Satanism or not? I'm sure Satanism predates many of the worlds major religions.

On the JOS website I find much of what is said so appealing and right but am fearful of the stereotypical stories of being possesed of the Devil made me murder my wife\kids etc. And also if Christianity is so wrong how come 1.7 billion people are believers. If the powerful\wealthy elite of the world are so called Satanist they obviously know something we don't.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I think believing in satan is just about the same as believing in god. As long as both are based on somewhat sound moral values.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well the general satanist belief is that Satan expelled himself from God's presence because God had become what we call evil. Christian 'Heaven' was Christian 'Hell' as God had become the evil as Satan was the good. Satan started his own little organization which was good...

I know there are many different types of Satanists but at the time I was one, this was what I was taught.

(If you're a Christian and don't want to be offended, don't read ahead. If you think this is a little odd, compare it to the Christian story; there both the same level of idiocy.)

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I was maybe still am Christian I honestly don't know anymore but I have seen and heard a hell of a lot of stuff in my time you'll need to go a long way to shock or surprise me.

Keep 'em rollin' in.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucifuge
Been doing a little research on this seemingly taboo subject on here: Joy of Satan - I'm not sure if this has been posted before so I apologise in advance, but I would like to know people's thought and opinions on the subject.

Well, the website is sadly misinformed about a number of facts, but it's an amusing one.

I have had 14 years of evangelical Christian indoctrination, and have come out at the other end feeling conned. In a world so full of religion could there be some reverse psychology here in that Christianlty\Muslim\Jew etc etc are the religions that lead you away from the truth which is Satanism or not?

Some of the Gnostics also believed this.

I'm sure Satanism predates many of the worlds major religions.

In fact, it doesn't. Satanism POSTdates Christianity, for you first have to have the concept of an anti-God that's equal to your God's power, and this just doesn't happen in other religions or in Shamanism. The Egyptian god, Set, for instance, isn't the equivalent because he's not as powerful as Ra. He does not cause harm or cause evil to humans.

On the JOS website I find much of what is said so appealing and right but am fearful of the stereotypical stories of being possesed of the Devil made me murder my wife\kids etc. And also if Christianity is so wrong how come 1.7 billion people are believers. If the powerful\wealthy elite of the world are so called Satanist they obviously know something we don't.

If you're searching, I can recommend the Reconstructionist pagan religions such as Celtic Reconstructionists, Asatrue (Nordic -- this might be fairly comfortable for you), Khemetic (lots to memorize and learn.) But Satanism tends to be about self-hood, and speaking frankly as a parent that's a very bad path to take when you have a family.

I helped (in a small way) write some of this FAQ - Erynn Laurie is one of my good friends and a cowriter on some projects:
www.witchvox.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Many thanks for the info and I'll definately be looking at Celtic Reconstructionist. Another thing that has puzzled me is why including Satanism do these Spirits\Beings demand\require worship. Sounds to much like a power trip thing to me.

I know that in the end Anton le Vey's COS was much less about Satanism and more a gratification of his teaching on the subject.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
very amusing subject relegion. Lucifer or jehovah worshiping are both the same.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I strongly suggest a little known yet superb book: "The lure of the sinister: : the unnatural history of Satanism" by Gareth Medway (New York University Press). Best book on the topic I've ever heard, deeply researched and written with the right approach.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
@ lucifuge

In all the paths you take, never change that path to an extreme course. Doing so, just may, prove to alienate you from your own destination.

Crap, now I sound like Buddah. Ok, now I don't.

lol @ myself.

Look into EVERYTHING that may be a choice, or even a contemplation. Many find they don't have to be ANYTHING already labeled, but to instead just strive to be well rounded in all aspects of a person - in other words, what a human is "supposed" to be.

Misfit

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well what are you my freind.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
There was another thread that flirted with a discussion on Satanism, but never really got going. There seemed to be a bit of a split opinion.

One group saw Satanism in the LaVey model as a self-central philosophy of attaining the things in life one honestly desires.

Another group saw it as a very covert and evil magickal conspiracy infiltrating all segments of society and causing death and destruction.

My own feeling is that many of the people attracted to Satanism are just reacting against traditional morality and perceived moral hypocrisy of Christianity. They are attracted by the evil image, the glamorous idea of dark rebellion. There are also a small percentage of demented individuals who just use it to justify their own sick actions.

One thing that strikes me is how reactionary it seems, at least as popularly portrayed. It seems so much just the opposite of Christianity. Even some of its symbols are just Christian symbols reversed. It almost seems like to be a Satanist, you have to be a Christian first, and believe in the whole portrayal of the Christian Cosmos, before you can choose sides. Which in some Taoist sense (union of opposites) seems to make Christianity and Satanism both part of the same belief system.

It always seemed to me that if you were going to be really radical you would start by rejecting the whole paradigm set forth by conservative religion.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
To Lucifuge.

Thank you for starting a decent topic. To everyone else on this thread. Im new and enjoying this great website that ATS has given us. And I hope u lot are too.

No Im not a christian or a saintanist, or aithest I just have a very open mind about all subjects.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
My biggest advice to you if you want to follow this path is that the Devil doesn't like wishy-washy people--He wants people that are sure that this is what they want to do, & who treat the path with respect. So you should do a lot of research, talk to a few people, do some soul-searching, and decide if this is the right path for you. Don't do any invokings of demons, initiations, pledges, etc. until you are absolutely sure you're going to follow through with the path.

As far as getting "possessed" is concerned -- People are in danger of getting possessed in any sort of occult working--ouija, spells, invocations, meditations, etc. I think possession has even happened to Christians who are in the "fervor" of their worship. Possession is not a Satanism-specific thing at all--but it does happen. You should read up on how to protect yourself from those sorts of things before entering any occult practice.

Good luck on finding your path!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I double up with Cassie Clay, [very nicely written
], this is by far something you do not want to jump into. But then, the same thing goes with any religion. I think there is a moreso thought of deep cored commitment with Satanism. With many Satanist groups (I am not saying all) once you are in, there is no getting out - much akin to gangs and biker groups (been there done the latter, trip to hell on the way out buddy).

Take your time, these religions are going nowhere. If you go to buy a car, do you buy the first one you see? Please, that is not a cut or anything as such towards you, just an analogy

My personal thoughts, about "should you should you not" - well, I would say look at every damn religion out there FIRST with great contemplation of each!! There are greater depths to Satanism than what you will EVER pick up on the internet. Again, these religions are going nowhere, no reason to rush, be content with yourself, and the religioin will find you.

Misfit

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Misfit u havent my quest ion what are u?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
ARG I'm sorry eh!!

So many posts ..... so few brain cells!

I am Eclectic solitary w/Gardnerian foundation.

[with mixed feelings about that, as Gardnerian is rather new, yet based on the old ways -
whereas a leaning towards Celtic is (to my knowledge) about the oldest, I just have not sudied much on it]

Bright Blessings

Misfit

[Edit = added Celtic paragraph]

[edit on 5-11-2004 by Misfit]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Thanks misfit.

much obliged.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Whats so hard to like about christianity?what was jesus's message?
Love each other and love god.simple,easy to understand.
now as to the modern "church",they are all too easy to loathe.
But if satanism is your thing,more power to ya.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samhain
Whats so hard to like about christianity?what was jesus's message?
Love each other and love god.simple,easy to understand.
now as to the modern "church",they are all too easy to loathe.
But if satanism is your thing,more power to ya.

I'm not a Christian, but yeah - I think Jesus' core message is sound and decent. And agreed - I think the church leaves something to be desired.

Maybe I'm way off, but from what I understand, Satanism was a kind of rebellion against church control and the church's vision of control via God.; Satanists view Satan with regard because he had the nerve to question God, whose actions not supposed to be known or challanged. Satan is thus a symbol of rebellion against authority and an individual thinker.

My take, anyway.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucifuge
And also if Christianity is so wrong how come 1.7 billion people are believers.

www.colostate.edu...

This is the mindset of people that infuriates me. Just because something is widely believed it is not necessarily the truth. Examples:

The platypus was first seen by white settlers in 1797. When they reported the existance of this animal they were not believed. Five years later it was proven to exist.

There was an experiment done on group think. They put three lines on a overhead projector. One line was off to the side (I will call this line A). The others were labled B and C. Lines A and C were the same in length. Line B was somewhat close in length but the difference was easily noticable. All but one of the test subjects were informed about the nature of the test. They were told to say that B is the same as line A. The one true test subject was placed at the end of the questioning line.
First they were told to write their answers the provided paper. The true test subject wrote A is the same as C. Then they were asked to announce which lines they though were closest. Going down the questioning line all of the informed test subjects answered B. When it was time for the true test subject to answer he said B. After the test he was asked privately which line he though was closest in length to line A. He still said B. The responses of the other people caused this test subject to convince himself that B was the line closest in length to A.

Many destructive cults rely on group think to keep control of their members.

These are just some examples.

<<   2  3 >>

join