It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: There's no longer time for excuses for black men

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Czulkang
When we there ever a time for that kinda thing, Stop blaming all your problems on other people and get you act in gear. Naybe if the so called black leaders spent a little less time, going around tellin black people how bad that were mistreated and who to blame, that should tell them to stop blaming other people and take some god dam persona lresponsability. i suck at spelling

Listen many in the AA communities have practiced the pull yourself up by your bootstraps thing I being one of them but if you think that's all there is to it then you are mistaken, the majority of Blackmen in Jail are there for non violent drug offenses whites who do more drugs receives less or no jail time for the same deed their employment record remained largely untarnished. personal responsibility yeah why not but don't sit there and think you can just ignore institutional racism and all will be fine.true some in the AA communities gave-up basically saying what's the point but even when you do all that they said you need to and then some you still are faced with the below.
Unemployed Black Woman Pretends to be White, Job Offers Suddenly Skyrocket

If you don’t believe that racism in the job market is real, then please read this article by Yolanda Spivey. Spivey, who was seeking work in the insurance industry, found that she wasn’t getting any job offers. But as an experiment, she changed her name to Bianca White, to see if employers would respond differently. You’ll be shocked and amazed by her phenomenal story.

Before I begin, let me quote the late, great, Booker T. Washington who said, “Of all forms of slavery there is none that is so harmful and degrading as that form of slavery which tempts one human being to hate another by reason of his race or color.” For two years, I have been unemployed. In the beginning, I applied to more than three hundred open positions in the insurance industry—an industry that I’ve worked in for the previous ten years. Not one employer responded to my resume. So, I enrolled back into college to finish my degree. After completing school this past May, I resumed my search for employment and was quite shocked that I wasn’t getting a single response. I usually applied for positions advertised on the popular website Monster.com. I’d used it in the past and have been successful in obtaining jobs through it. Two years ago, I noticed that Monster.com had added a “diversity questionnaire” to the site. This gives an applicant the opportunity to identify their sex and race to potential employers. Monster.com guarantees that this “option” will not jeopardize your chances of gaining employment. You must answer this questionnaire in order to apply to a posted position—it cannot be skipped. At times, I would mark off that I was a Black female, but then I thought, this might be hurting my chances of getting employed, so I started selecting the “decline to identify” option instead. That still had no effect on my getting a job. So I decided to try an experiment: I created a fake job applicant and called her Bianca White. First, I created an email account and resume for Bianca. I kept the same employment history and educational background on her resume that was listed on my own. But I removed my home phone number, kept my listed cell phone number, and changed my cell phone greeting to say, “You have reached Bianca White. Please leave a message.” Then I created an online Monster.com account, listed Bianca as a White woman on the diversity questionnaire, and activated the account.

That very same day, I received a phone call. The next day, my phone line and Bianca’s email address, were packed with potential employers calling for an interview. I was stunned. More shocking was that some employers, mostly Caucasian-sounding women, were calling Bianca more than once, desperate to get an interview with her. All along, my real Monster.com account was open and active; but, despite having the same background as Bianca, I received no phone calls. Two jobs actually did email me and Bianca at the same time. But they were commission only sales positions. Potential positions offering a competitive salary and benefits all went to Bianca.

www.techyville.com...

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
it's a joke that there is even a all black college and that this way of thinking is acceptable...so much for inclusion...

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

Eric Holder, a black man and Obama's step 'n fetch it Attorney General, sure has plenty of excuses for not prosecuting Wall Street CEOs -- and it turns out he as no factual basis for having done so. What is Obama's excuse for keeping him as AG?

Holder and Lanny Brewer have argued that bank CEO's can't be held criminally liable because it would harm their companies, which in turn could hurt the economy; however, as it turns out, there have been no studies or analysis done to document or prove this claim. Hence they're liars, and only protecting Obama's wealthy campaign donors.

And Obama has the audacity to be making any moral assertions to college grads??? All that Obama is doing is being a good house slave for the rich. He shouldn't be counseling black college graduates, and admonishing them on what world views they should take.

edit on 23-5-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
He neglected to mention that he had "help" getting elected......(failure to be vetted over the birth issue, et cetera).

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Ooooooooooooohhh .. the 'you did not build this' thing ....
Guess his speech kind of flys in the face of that, doesn't it?
I didn't even think of that. You are right.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
it's a joke that there is even a all black college and that this way of thinking is acceptable...so much for inclusion...

It called "historically black colleges" for a reason Blacks were not allowed into white ones,however White kids or anyone else for that matter are certainly welcome to attend as both faculty and students which many do.
edit on 23-5-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive

Eric Holder, a black man and Obama's step 'n fetch it Attorney General, sure has plenty of excuses for not prosecuting Wall Street CEOs -- and it turns out he as no factual basis for having done so. What is Obama's excuse for keeping him as AG?

Holder and Lanny Brewer have argued that bank CEO's can't be held criminally liable because it would harm their companies, which in turn could hurt the economy; however, as it turns out, there have been no studies or analysis done to document or prove this claim. Hence they're liars, and only protecting Obama's wealthy campaign donors.

And Obama has the audacity to be making any moral assertions to college grads??? All that Obama is doing is being a good house slave for the rich. He shouldn't be counseling black college graduates, and admonishing them on what world views they should take.

edit on 23-5-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

I agree with you but a good speech/pep talk is always good even though his actions have been meaningless to blacks folks in particular but we are used to being ignored and used by both the left and the right as political fodder..mind you I am considered a lefty in most of my views but that's the truth as I see it.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spider879

Originally posted by Czulkang
When we there ever a time for that kinda thing, Stop blaming all your problems on other people and get you act in gear. Naybe if the so called black leaders spent a little less time, going around tellin black people how bad that were mistreated and who to blame, that should tell them to stop blaming other people and take some god dam persona lresponsability. i suck at spelling

Listen many in the AA communities have practiced the pull yourself up by your bootstraps thing I being one of them but if you think that's all there is to it then you are mistaken, the majority of Blackmen in Jail are there for non violent drug offenses whites who do more drugs receives less or no jail time for the same deed their employment record remained largely untarnished. personal responsibility yeah why not but don't sit there and think you can just ignore institutional racism and all will be fine.true some in the AA communities gave-up basically saying what's the point but even when you do all that they said you need to and then some you still are faced with the below.
Unemployed Black Woman Pretends to be White, Job Offers Suddenly Skyrocket

If you don’t believe that racism in the job market is real, then please read this article by Yolanda Spivey. Spivey, who was seeking work in the insurance industry, found that she wasn’t getting any job offers. But as an experiment, she changed her name to Bianca White, to see if employers would respond differently. You’ll be shocked and amazed by her phenomenal story.

Before I begin, let me quote the late, great, Booker T. Washington who said, “Of all forms of slavery there is none that is so harmful and degrading as that form of slavery which tempts one human being to hate another by reason of his race or color.” For two years, I have been unemployed. In the beginning, I applied to more than three hundred open positions in the insurance industry—an industry that I’ve worked in for the previous ten years. Not one employer responded to my resume. So, I enrolled back into college to finish my degree. After completing school this past May, I resumed my search for employment and was quite shocked that I wasn’t getting a single response. I usually applied for positions advertised on the popular website Monster.com. I’d used it in the past and have been successful in obtaining jobs through it. Two years ago, I noticed that Monster.com had added a “diversity questionnaire” to the site. This gives an applicant the opportunity to identify their sex and race to potential employers. Monster.com guarantees that this “option” will not jeopardize your chances of gaining employment. You must answer this questionnaire in order to apply to a posted position—it cannot be skipped. At times, I would mark off that I was a Black female, but then I thought, this might be hurting my chances of getting employed, so I started selecting the “decline to identify” option instead. That still had no effect on my getting a job. So I decided to try an experiment: I created a fake job applicant and called her Bianca White. First, I created an email account and resume for Bianca. I kept the same employment history and educational background on her resume that was listed on my own. But I removed my home phone number, kept my listed cell phone number, and changed my cell phone greeting to say, “You have reached Bianca White. Please leave a message.” Then I created an online Monster.com account, listed Bianca as a White woman on the diversity questionnaire, and activated the account.

That very same day, I received a phone call. The next day, my phone line and Bianca’s email address, were packed with potential employers calling for an interview. I was stunned. More shocking was that some employers, mostly Caucasian-sounding women, were calling Bianca more than once, desperate to get an interview with her. All along, my real Monster.com account was open and active; but, despite having the same background as Bianca, I received no phone calls. Two jobs actually did email me and Bianca at the same time. But they were commission only sales positions. Potential positions offering a competitive salary and benefits all went to Bianca.

www.techyville.com...

Nice find. This the same thing that Dr. Devah Pager, a Princeton Sociologist, has found through her research. Her first research into this arena came in Milwaukee in 2003, and she later replicated her findings in New York in 2009. Both results showed that black and Latino applicants with no criminal background have no advantage over white applicants with a criminal background.

The work of Dr. Pager

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Banananananana

Nice find. This the same thing that Dr. Devah Pager, a Princeton Sociologist, has found through her research. Her first research into this arena came in Milwaukee in 2003, and she later replicated her findings in New York in 2009. Both results showed that black and Latino applicants with no criminal background have no advantage over white applicants with a criminal background. The work of Dr. Pager

Most people of whatever back ground going for an interview in the private sector are naturally nervous if even a little, you worry about your tie,is your cologne too strong off course you up-dated your resume crossed the t's dot the I's have a friend or love one look it over for you, you try not to appear too overconfident.(cocky) but not timid, but besides your best efforts you did not get a call back,finally you called and you were told politely that they went with someone else,you are disappointed most likely you wondered what you did wrong or could have done better but you move on,what you don't want lurking in the back of your mind is you didn't get the job over something you have no control of, namely what you look like,for non whites and especially black folks that's an enormous added pressure going into an interview,you may failed the interview for many reasons, because you are not what they are looking for or maybe because you suck! but you are always left to wonder was it because I am black??..a lot of White folks simply cannot relate to that.
edit on 23-5-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Agreed. But with the American cult of individualism, I can't say I'm surprised people won't think beyond individual factors. Those that live through this type of stuff everyday-the "organic intellectuals" if you will, know this plight thoroughly, and simply because they cannot speak about it eloquently or at times loudly enough, does not negate its reality.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
oh how i wish some of these moronic anonymous clowns thats always online spewing that lame rhetoric that black people need to get over it and whatever the hell else, could live a day in the life of a qualified black temp worker in an all white office and busting your ass while listening to constant lame excuses about why you’re yet to get that permanent position, meanwhile people (white) with way less experience than you are getting hired and put into said positions, and to makes matters worse then turn around and ask you for help.......but its ok, just be the quiet negro, take orders and "work hard" and maybe your big break will come.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

this article by Yolanda Spivey...

For two years, I have been unemployed. In the beginning, I applied to more than three hundred open positions in the insurance industry
Not one employer responded to my resume.

A few comments about this experiment.
Am I to understand that that in all the years, in all the jobs, in all the rejects... that NONE of the people in the HR department at these companies was black?
Am I to understand that black recruiters were also rejecting her because she was black?

I think so, for two reasons:
1. She said in the second part that the supposedly racist recruiters that only wanted to hire Bianca White were "mostly Caucasian-sounding". Only mostly. So presumably some were not.
2. Black people also reject black people when it comes to dating.
See halfway down this article by the staff at OkCupid...

Men don’t write black women back.
Or rather, they write them back far less often than they should.
Black women reply the most, yet get by far the fewest replies.
Essentially every race—including other blacks—singles them out for the cold shoulder.

Its not just whiteys to blame here.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The black culture needed this man to usher in a new era. He is not the man for the job. My personal hero is Mr. King......this is the kind of man they need.

The next Mr. King where are you? We need you more today then ever.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Remember what I said on page 5 or above??

I agree with you but a good speech/pep talk is always good even though his actions have been meaningless to blacks folks in particular but we are used to being ignored and used by both the left and the right as political fodder..mind you I am considered a lefty in most of my views but that's the truth as I see it.

Rahm Emanuel ^^^^ from Obama's inner circle yet Obama is giving pep talks to middle and upper middle class black kids yet his boy Rahm is shutting down schools in the hood,,way to go Obama-san.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What amazes me the most about Obama is how he has deceived the black vote to think he is like them.

Obama has nothing in common with the average black man in America, FACT!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
What amazes me the most about Obama is how he has deceived the black vote to think he is like them.

Obama has nothing in common with the average black man in America, FACT!

Understand something there has been a long standing divide between the Black under class, Black middle class,upper middle class and...yes upper class. there is not one monolithic Black America so who is to say what is average.

Anyone who has grown up privileged and black in the United States will recognize the insular world Graham describes, an ''upper class'' tenuously defined, as any American social elite must be, by money, education and a few generations of cultured ancestors, with the addition of an obsession with light skin and Caucasian characteristics as indicators of high status. It is a world whose rituals begin in the play groups of Jack and Jill, the national organization for upper-middle-class black children, and include vacations spent in enclaves like Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard. ''Such was the arrogance of black privilege on that island,'' Graham recalls of his own childhood summers, ''that it never even occurred to me that white people had summer homes on Martha's Vineyard.'' The picture is completed by debutante cotillions, degrees from Ivy League colleges or a suitable black university like Howard or Morehouse, and upscale professional careers crowned by membership in exclusive black social groups like the Boule or the Links. Developed between economic walls that have protected generations against the worst forms of racism, this is a cushioned existence, but hardly the theater for the aping of white society and rejection of black roots that it has often been charged with being.
www.nytimes.com...
Please clik ^^the link for more reading,

This is a good book to read if you want to understand the social and cultural dynamics of the AA communities,the pep talk Diitoriyo Obama-san gave was mostly geared towards this group who needed it the least not to say that Blacks from the hood was not present but this was for the middle and upper middle class black males..upper class Black males maybe present but more than likely they go to school with their white counter parts.
edit on 24-5-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
Good words, & well meant I am sure. As these young (black) men have just graduated they will presumably be much less likely to be of the type he describes, surely this speech should have been delivered to a ghetto high school audience.

edit on 21-5-2013 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

I agree with you on this, really good speech. But I think the wrong venue for it.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
Obama isnt black. But he is half black. Hes actually therefore able to express two sides of the coin at once even.

Not sure this is a good or bad thing, But lol... I dont know how hes going to suggest these men get rid of habits they have had for years and years. I mean its now a " culture" of behaviour.

Hes needs to offer or suggest practical ways

People make the mistake of thinking " mixed ethnic" people take sides. This isnt true.
Although Obama married a black woman, he was raised by a white woman.

A single white lady...
edit on 21-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

she was not single and white- she married his father, he left her.
She then married again. Obama had a step father and then he lived with his married grandparents.
He himself is a married family man who is educated and rich, what does he have in common with someone who is poor, drug addled and in dire straits

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Black people only got full legal rights 50 years ago. And the discriminatory practices just didn't stop after the civil rights act were signed either. It's harder for a black person to become successful than a white one. That's just the reality in this country...stating this is not making up excuses. You can pretend this is a post-racial country but it isn't......at all.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

He himself is a married family man who is educated and rich, what does he have in common with someone who is poor, drug addled and in dire straits

He was a community organizer in the poorest parts of Chicago for awhile. He may have never of been poor but he understands what the poor go through in this country. I'm pretty sure he no longer cares about the poor tho....

edit on 25-5-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join