It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are These Weird Street Signs Being Installed in Las Vegas?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Let the eavesdropping begin!

Strange new street signs being installed across Las Vegas are prompting suspicions from concerned readers, one of whom sent us the following images. Are these new signs part of the nationwide 'Intellistreets' rollout of so-called "smart" hubs that eavesdrop on conversations?

I was wondering if anyone on ATS has seen these signs or know more about their capabilities. These are like an Orwellian nightmare sign IMO.

As we previously reported, the Intellistreets system which is currently being installed in cities across the US relies on "smart" street lamps connected by a ubiquitous wi-fi network that have numerous "homeland security applications," including the ability to “engage captive audiences” via a loudspeaker system and give audible warnings to individuals.

The system is “also capable of recording conversations,” according to a report by ABC 7.
source

Infowars (I know...I know) broke a story about the Intellistreets street signs in November of 2011 but this is the first time I’ve heard of their deployment. Apparently this is a federally funded project designed to aid the DHS in making “security announcements” and acting as talking surveillance cameras. The alarming part, to me, is their ability to also record conversations. This has the potential of creating a serious privacy threat. Why would DHS need to record conversations on our streets? Can they do this legally? Where is the ACLU?

What say you, ATS? Am I overreacting? Are these signs a good thing for emergency situations and public safety or is this another step toward Big Brother surveillance?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I have to say I am perplexed. I had not heard of the system prior to this post. Looks like they would make a great and expensive target for would be vandals. I have to go buy a new wrist rocket ciao.........

The Drudge Report and other bloggers have attacked IntelliStreets as an Orwellian Big Brother monitoring system. The actual system lacks that kind of capacity for intense surveillance of individuals, but I think most urban residents would welcome its potential as a resilient emergency communications network.

edit on 16-5-2013 by Mamatus because: added the above from Drudge

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It seems a bit pointless setting up an eavesdropping system and then informing everyone where it is active.

+41 more 
posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
It seems a bit pointless setting up an eavesdropping system and then informing everyone where it is active.

Not if they want you to get used to being eavesdropped on.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Good point! But I don't think they informed everyone...I think it was leaked. Regardless, we don't know the capabilities. How powerful are the mics? If there is one on every corner, and they're powerful, would it matter if you knew (they might still pick up your conversation)?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

grrrrr
stoopid O.J.

I tried several different image searches, just to see if I could find any other source, but everything I tried gave me a few pics of signs, and a bunch of pics of O.J..... I give up.

All I found was this→www.secretsofthefed.com...
but it's the exact same article, just re-posted on a different site.

link   

Originally posted by soulwaxer

Not if they want you to get used to being eavesdropped on.

Until the human race reins in its baser instincts and while the technoogy exists, that's going to happen whether the public likes it, or not.

+9 more 
link   
cool!
we have a direct line to talk to the government now.
it would be awesome to see lots of CT 'cranks' out ranting at these street signs.

as for the slogan 'what happens in vegas, stays in vegas'...
not anymore, it seems.

+2 more 
posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Shoot them from the side where you can't be seen with larger caliber pistols. Destroy them. Protect Society.

You can also put those heavy duty earth type magnets on their sides to mess up the circuitry.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

I, too, thought it was pointless at first but then I quickly realized that they want you to know for two reasons.

1) so people will pay attention to them when they want to broadcast information

2) so people will be accustomed (conditioning?) to see them around. Eventually, they will become part of the backdrop and we will forget they are there or pay them no notice. Why hide them when you don't have to.

I am wondering why Las Vegas was chosen for first deployment of these devices. Is there going to be a false flag happening there that will make the whole country see these as useful devices and then clamor to get them installed everywhere. You know, get the people on your side and have them willing police themselves.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
That is so scary
just imagine what they can do!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Kind of looks like a digital detour sign. There are arrows to indicate "go straight" or "turn right", with digital displays for text. Don't know if that's what they are for sure, but that's what I see.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Wow, this is really spooky.

I'm totally going to piss on the first one that I see. One that is reachable for my stream anyway.

Carrying around a stepladder wouldn't be inconspicuous now would it

+1 more 
posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by seabag

grrrrr
stoopid O.J.

I tried several different image searches, just to see if I could find any other source, but everything I tried gave me a few pics of signs, and a bunch of pics of O.J..... I give up.

All I found was this→www.secretsofthefed.com...
but it's the exact same article, just re-posted on a different site.

Interesting!

I made a thread in January about a DHS and Secret Service Request for Information (RFI) posted on the FedBizOpps website seeking information on commercially available gunshot detection technologies for fixed site surveillance applications. At that time I speculated they were going to use this technology for eavesdropping and I got flamed!

That technology has the capability to record but I was told by more than a few people that I was paranoid…..NOW THIS!

I don't think there is any doubt about their intentions now.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Well, if that is really what they are for, I have a question.
I'm no good at this, but couldn't someone make a fortune making a "scrambler", like the old ones you could make to mess up someones TV reception?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
That is so scary
just imagine what they can do!

Naaa...You don't wanna do that, you'll work yourself into a frenzy

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sticky
Wow, this is really spooky.

I'm totally going to piss on the first one that I see. One that is reachable for my stream anyway.

Carrying around a stepladder wouldn't be inconspicuous now would it

You might not like that experience very much!

Maybe a different plan is warranted.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I am wondering why Las Vegas was chosen for first deployment of these devices.

heh.. maybe it's got something to do with what's UNDER las vegas

old boom boxes are a great source of strong magnets

edit on 16-5-2013 by UNIT76 because: terrorism related activities

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
now that everyone is in a panic,why don't you do what a normal person would do...google it! These are energy saving devices,they can dim the lights when not needed,brighten them when a car approaches,so on.Yes,they have speakers on them for PSA's,and camera's are available on them.Now take off the tinfoil hats and go to the nearest FEMA camp where you belong.

+4 more 
posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

My local county is fond of sticking out a portable signs out saying:

"Report suspicious activity".

Who do I report these signs to?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join