It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Earthquake clouds" over Las Vegas, New Mexico?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Much has been written about similar events so I will post this, just in case ..

Mangelic Cloud
Taken by Ryan Rudolph on May 5, 2013 @ Las Vegas, New Mexico

"Around mid day during a parahelios but not near the sun. Was taken from my cellphone."

spaceweather.com...

edit on 16-5-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
That is called a "Sun dog" it happens when the sunlight reflects off of ice crystals in a cloud. It has nothing to do with Earthquakes whatsoever.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
..so wait for the quake?

these types of clouds are often reported before earthquakes.. then we all blame haarp

i see these clouds in sky quite often.. i don't claim to know what they are but i'm yet to feel any tremors?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

If you say so ..

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Well, lets watch and see if something happens then.

I am curious as to why you think this is an EQ precursor. Did you have a feeling over this?
Or is it just because of EQ lights in the past and weird clouds before EQs.

What YOU feel is important.

I see a lot of people throwing things out there with no feeling attached, only a "It happens this way sometimes"
because of what they read other places.(theories on EQ lights and clouds)
Do you feel there is going to be an EQ?

edit on 16-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: typonese

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MariaLida
reply to post by Mamatus

If you say so ..

I have made my living from being able to understand the clouds, the winds and weather patterns for almost 30 years. Tis' a sun dog...... I don't just say so, I know so. I also hold a commercial pilots license..........

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I've never heard of clouds being a precursor for earthquakes, but the picture is beautiful. Do you have a link to an article or something as to why someone would believe that these type clouds appear before an earthquake? I've seen them before and an earthquake didn't happen.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Sundogs are made commonly by refraction of light from plate-shaped hexagonal ice crystals in high and cold cirrus clouds or, during very cold weather, by ice crystals called diamond dust drifting in the air at low levels. These crystals act as prisms, bending the light rays passing through them with a minimum deflection of 22°. If the crystals are randomly oriented, a complete ring around the sun is seen — a halo. But often, as the crystals sink through the air, they become vertically aligned, so sunlight is refracted horizontally — in this case, sundogs are seen.

We get them here in Canada all the time
. Especially in the winter months.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Mamatus

If you say so ..

Uh, his name is a cloud.

You should get a cloud guide.
Or go here. This guy explains the optics behind everything you can see in the sky.
Atmospheric Optics

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
There is evidence that certain clouds can form before an earthquake, volcanic event, or other events involving energy. I cannot really say much about it because I have never seen one and the descriptions I have read don't make much sense to me because I lack knowledge of it. It may have something to do with building ground currents and their effect on the atmosphere above that area. I can only speculate that this is the case.

I see clouds forming from thin air around volcanoes, that tells me something. I see clouds forming ahead of fronts, that also tells me something. I see evidence of clouds forming during a sonic boom and that gets me wondering.

These clouds would not have to form around impending earthquakes though, if there was a fast slip or fracture they may not get to form. I would say they can be an indication that something may be brewing but to tie them to seismic activity alone would be impossible. Solar flares also give energy to the atmosphere and can allow crystal formations to glow. During solar flares more signals are bounced off the atmosphere, these could illuminate clouds like this as they interact with other frequencies. Ice crystals are also necessary but ice crystals are present in clouds that do not glow also. I see a good thing for someone to investigate here but it is critical to look at the whole picture.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I've never heard of clouds being a precursor for earthquakes, but the picture is beautiful. Do you have a link to an article or something as to why someone would believe that these type clouds appear before an earthquake? I've seen them before and an earthquake didn't happen.

Here is one thread ..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k

reply to post by Mamatus

If you say so ..

Uh, his name is a cloud.

You should get a cloud guide.
Or go here. This guy explains the optics behind everything you can see in the sky.
Atmospheric Optics

Good eye, too bad I was tired when I made the account, I forgot an "M" lol

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Lol. Really? I took pics of this phenomena not too long ago because it was so pretty. I live in FL, they're not exactly uncommon by any means. The atmospheric conditions have to be just right, but we get them. I very highly doubt these are as strong an indicator of earthquakes as people think. Much more likely that old bane of every conspiracy theorist's existence: Coincidence. Just like earthquakes on snowy days, rainy days, hazy days, cloudy days, hot days, dry days, humid days, etc, and oddball atmospheric phenomena. Someone could sit there & say "gravity waves in the clouds!!!1 Earthquake soon!!" and still be way off.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That is not an "earthquake cloud" or a sundog, although sundogs are a related ice-halo phenomenon.

It's called a circumhorizon arc (click for more examples and info), although sometimes its (wrongly) called a "fire-rainbow".

The positions of the colours always give circumhorizon arcs away - red on top going through to green and blue at the bottom. They are also always directly below the Sun, and just above the horizon.

Look for the brightly coloured circumhorizon arc (also a circumhorizontal arc but never 'fire rainbow') when the sun is very high in the sky - higher than 58°. Near to noon in mid summer is a good time in middle latitudes. The halo is beneath the sun and twice as far from it (two hand spans) as the 22º halo.

It is a very large halo and always parallel to the horizon. Often only fragments are visible where there happen to be cirrus clouds - the individual patches of cirrus are then lit with colour that can be mistaken for iridescence.

High sun infralateral arcs occupy a similar position in the sky. The infralateral arc curves upwards from the horizon slightly and this is best checked for visually because lens distortions invariably also show the circumhorizon arc as curved.

The rarity, or otherwise, of the arc depends on where you are. At medium latitudes like much of the USA it is not rare - it can be seen several times each summer. In contrast, further north in much of Europe the circumhorizon arc is a rarity and impossible to see north of Copenhagen. See the charts in 'How rare?' for the visibility at your location.

More examples:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f47ceb8ef887.jpg[/atsimg]

Earthquake clouds do not exist (I have yet to see any evidence that they do), but since a circumhorizon arc was coincidentaly photographed in Sichuan Province, China a little while before an earthquake, ever since then people have been wrongly referring to circumhorizon arcs as earthquake clouds.

edit on 16-5-2013 by FireballStorm because: typos

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Here is one thread .. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have read many of your threads and posts, and enjoyed them, so it is with all due respect I ask you, are saying if you read it on ATS it must be true?

Mamatus is correct. There have been reports of 'lights' a phenomena visible at night, prior to earthquakes, but clouds, not so much. Clouds and earthquakes are not related. It has to do with the sun reflecting on the ice in the clouds, refraction.
edit on 16-5-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

I have read many of your threads and posts, and enjoyed them, so it is with all due respect I ask you, are saying if you read it on ATS it must be true?

Mamatus is correct. There have been reports of 'lights' a phenomena visible at night, prior to earthquakes, but clouds, not so much. Clouds and earthquakes are not related. It has to do with the sun reflecting on the ice in the clouds, refraction.

Haha, funny people all over this thread ..

I did not say anything, lo0l ..

Oh sry I forget, I say something ..

"Much has been written about similar events so I will post this, just in case .. "

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

And one more thing ..

Don't put words in people mouth which are not said and especially in my, it's very inappropriate ..

"are saying if you read it on ATS it must be true?
"

So you tell me about true on ATS, don't get it ..

Also I did not read that thread and post was made only for that person he searching for more info, no need I watching and monitoring this "things" probably before you ever heard about similar ..

If you and "clouds people" know all about clouds and earthquakes, no need for me to say anything ..

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Did you see where I said the respect thing? You quoted an ATS thread on the cloud/earthquake connection as a reply to another poster. It struck me as funny. I have read this entire thread, I am allowed to comment on any part of it. That is one of the principles behind an open forum. All the replies have been serious, respectful attempts to educate you, mine included. No reason to be touchy, it is all good.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join