It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tree Hugging Now Scientifically Validated

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by denybedoomed
reply to post by Nevertheless

Man, you're being a total downer. SOMEONE needs a tree hug.

I'm sorry, but it isn't my fault if "happy news" do not happen to be valid.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Could some kind soul find the paper in which this discovery is "Scientifically validated"? Normally they are easy to locate.
Harder if someone's just making things up and putting it on YouTube.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Purplemer, you are both hysterical and witty. I enjoyed it.
S&F

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CovertAgenda

Electrodes... 'Reading'...currents....???..WTF??..

How would you like to be hooked up to electrodes

and stimulated to produce musical notes for some hippies enjoyment??

As a musician, I can tell you that there is no better experience.

I assume that the trees would feel the same..

Tfw.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

You know, the amount of time and effeort you have spent trying to "debunk" purp's thread

could have been better spent following up some links or looking for research yourself.

You have obviously found nothing to back up the "non-scientific nature" of the singing trees.

Trees were around before us and a lot live longer than us.

To see them as non-sentient beings with no sense of the world around them is disrespectful.

Check out the bibliography here...PDF link

You can follow up whatever floats yer boat as far as research is concerned

Everything vibrates. Even you.

Tfw.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I used the pink elephant as an example how science deals with nonsense

how do you know there are not pink elephants... Have you any empirical proof that they are nonsense . Not saying there are pink elephants. Just saying that truth is stranger than fiction..

Go hug a tree...!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

As an entity that attempts to make pleasing sounds (to itself) on man-made and mainly inanimate objects by interfacing own cyclic interferences i ask you... Really? .... against your will?

My point is WHO ASKED THE PLANTS??? if they wanted to be involved??
Imposition of another's will is not acceptable, even in human/flora/fauna interactions.
Sure there is a relevant section in starfleets primedirective.doc

A great sage once said: Never ASSUME as it makes an ASS out of U and ME !!
(knowledge IS power remember)
(B.Hill 1924-1992)

Wow a cover band...how original.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman

You know, the amount of time and effeort you have spent trying to "debunk" purp's thread
could have been better spent following up some links or looking for research yourself.

I have tried to find paper where this was "Scientifically Validated" but failed. And I am now asking for help to find it. If it exists, it shouldn't be hard to find.

You have obviously found nothing to back up the "non-scientific nature" of the singing trees.

See above.

Trees were around before us and a lot live longer than us.

Yes.

To see them as non-sentient beings with no sense of the world around them is disrespectful.

What?

No thanks, I'm interested in the water memory experiment supposedly Scientifically Validated.

I'm interested in the paper that refers to the topic of this thread.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

how do you know there are not pink elephants... Have you any empirical proof that they are nonsense . Not saying there are pink elephants.

I don't know whether or not there are pink elephant-ghosts.
All I know is that the idea is random to make a point that pure speculation leads nowhere if it is being used as a statement.

Just saying that truth is stranger than fiction..

And why are you saying that?
In fact, in fiction we create a lot more exciting worlds than what we normally see. That's the beauty of fiction.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

No the idea is not random to make point. The idea shows the limitation of a knowledge base. How can you change your boundaries if you do not know your limitations.....

Have you gone and hugged your tree yet..?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

See my previous post in this thread for some published works regarding the natural world's affect on human health. While not directly dealing with the actual hugging of a tree, all these studies do indicate that merely being in nature has profound effects on the human mind and body.

And you'd be hard pressed to find a tree worth hugging without also experience nature.

But then you're probably not going to be able to get the point after all.

Here are a few more:

This paper selectively reviews scientific research on the influences of gardens and plants in hospitals and other healthcare settings. The discussion concentrates mainly on health-related benefits that patients realize by simply looking at gardens and plants, or in other ways passively experiencing healthcare surroundings where plants are prominent. The review also briefly addresses other advantages of gardens and plants in hospitals, such as lowering the costs of delivering healthcare and improving staff satisfaction.

There is considerable evidence that restorative effects of nature scenes are manifested within only three to five minutes as a combination of psychological/emotional and physiological changes...Regarding physiological manifestations of stress recovery, laboratory and clinical investigations have found that viewing nature settings can produce significant restoration within less than five minutes as indicated by positive changes, for instance, in blood pressure, heart activity, muscle tension, and brain electrical activity (Ulrich, 1981; Ulrich et al., 1991).

Health Benefits of Gardens in Hospitals

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Thank you.. blessing and tree hugs back to you too..

purp.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

Hello Votan

thank you for your reply... I think studies like this are important.. Sadly but true a lot of people are so out of touch with reality that they only believe in science. Not everyone needs to be told that hugging a tree feels nice. But some do...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Ahhhh I now feel safe to confess.

During a 10km hike through a rain forrest in Queensland about ten years ago, I came across a huge tree (amongst many) which looked ancient and had vines and moss on it, I just had to go hug it much to the laughs of my Mrs, I cared not a jot and hugged away, they say you never forget your first and thus far it stands true.

There have only been a couple and I wouldn`t consider myself promiscuous, but if its scientifically backed and healthy I`ll be a swinger baby yeah! (monkey noises and all)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by Psychoparrot

Hello Pyschoparrot..

Nice to hear you put some ponds in and stuff..Its the small things like that, that make a big difference..
Why do you think my reality sounds depressing...

Not you purplemer, it's the reality of Nevertheless I feel is depressing. Your's is fine

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I think I've known this for many years.... I think most of us should know that Nature is great for us.

But what are the people doing? Cutting it all down and building over it!!

You know, In London many people are ill because there is no room, once upon a time there used to be plenty of breathing space and many trees, plants, bushes.... its all gone.... well, nearly. Mostly what we get now in London, is dirt, fumes and other pollution.
edit on 13-5-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This is not science. This is a lot of pseudoscientific nonsense (vibrational patterns etc..) mixed with a little bit of real science (proven benefits of being in nature). This is one man selling his book to gullible people.

I mean, what exactly is new here? Science has proven that spending time in nature and forests leads to health benefits, that is known long ago.. The new thing is someone claiming its not simply physical activity and fresh air, but some vibrational new age mumbo-jumbo.

Please provide scientific studies showing that the cause of these benefits are "vibrational patterns" or other phenomena the author claims he has "proven", and not simply physical exercise in fresh air.
edit on 13/5/13 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

No thanks, I'm interested in the water memory experiment supposedly Scientifically Validated.

Ahem...This has nothing to do with your water memory experiment.

It has a lot to do with the PDF list of sources from that book

and the Article in the OP is referring to the Book.

As it appears that you have an ATS-only pc with integrated trollboost, I shall quote...

In a recently published book, Blinded by Science, the author Matthew Silverstone, proves scientifically that trees do in fact improve many health issues such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), concentration levels, reaction times, depression and other forms of mental illness. He even points to research indicating a tree's ability to alleviate headaches in humans seeking relief by communing with trees.

and again...

So what is it about nature that can have these significant effects? Up until now it has been thought to be the open green spaces that cause this effect. However, Matthew Silverstone shows that it is nothing to do with this by proving scientifically that it is the vibrational properties of trees and plants that give us the health benefits and not the open green spaces.

and from the OP,

The answer to how plants and trees affect us physiologically turns out to be very simple. It is all to do with the fact that everything vibrates in a subtle manner, and different vibrations affect biological behaviours. One research experiment showed that if you drink a glass of water that has been treated with a "10Hz vibration" your blood coagulation rates will change immediately on ingesting the treated water. It is the same with trees, when touching a tree its different vibrational pattern will affect various biological behaviours within your body.

So no "water memory" and if you want "evidence",

again...Check out the bibliography here...PDF link

Google + eyes + brain = your friend

edit on 13/5/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: reply to.. inserted

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

See my previous post in this thread for some published works regarding the natural world's affect on human health. While not directly dealing with the actual hugging of a tree, all these studies do indicate that merely being in nature has profound effects on the human mind and body.

Yes, there is no secret in that feeling great is good for the mind [obviously].
And it is also a fact that the state of mind affects our physical well-being.
I'm not arguing against any of that. I'm arguing against the added nonsense that is claimed to be scientifically validated that is not scientifically validated.

And you'd be hard pressed to find a tree worth hugging without also experience nature.

I'm very well aware of what nature has to offer and how it impacts my well-being.

But then you're probably not going to be able to get the point after all.

My problem is with the nonsense, not the effects of feeling peaceful.

So, unfortunately the list of articles is of no help, as I have no problem accepting with what actually is science, we're on the same page in that matter already.

Reading all of the page, there seems to be some fuzziness around the possibility, but there seems to be something interesting worth looking further into.

This is the problem. Someone has come up with nonsense and lying about its scientific validity, but it seems to be done "well enough" for people without enough knowledge to swallow it.
The person is making things up, and claiming it to be science. It's that simple.
edit on 13-5-2013 by Nevertheless because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join