It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How hackers allegedly stole "unlimited" amounts of cash from banks in just hours

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I was wondering when this would be posted on ATS. (I would have posted it but I am terrible at making posts)

News like this usually gets on ATS within seconds.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
How does $45 Million get taken from ATM machines by 8 men in only 'hours'?

Physically i mean.

Think about it..an average ATM holds about $50K right?

That's 20 full ATMs for each $1 Million...for $45 Million, it's 900 ATM machines all full to the brim.

Or about 112 ATM machines for each of the 8 man gang to empty with their fake cards.

In hours? Hmmm.

The banks didn't notice that their full ATM machines were all emptied in one transaction...in every bank branch?

Other customers or public didn't notice a guy standing at an ATM which was spewing thousands of $'s non-stop while he fills sacks with cash...not even on one of the 900 machines?

Not impossible, but far fetched IMO.

From the OP's article:

The eight men formed the New York-based cell of an international crime ring that organized and executed the hacks and then used fraudulent payment cards in dozens of countries to withdraw the loot from automated teller machines.

The way this reads to me is that they could have just been located in New York, setup the hack and then had people from their crime ring all over the world withdraw the money. Though the more people involved with this scheme, the more the take is split between them and $45 million is already a pretty small amount of money for a crime syndicate to steal. Though maybe that's what they were able to take before the bank realized what was going on and clamped down on their losses.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

This would've been the perfect crime had they a.) disguised better and b.) given some of that already stolen money (by bankers from the people) back to the people

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

How hackers allegedly stole "unlimited" amounts of cash from banks in just hours

Well, see, they put on this magic show...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

I think its state sponsored because they want to show TPTB in the US (ie: Wall St) that they have all these people on the ground inside the US who are loyal to their cause. Cos think about it $45 million really isnt that much money in the grand scheme of things, not to an organised crime syndicate; They could make that selling contraband on any given Friday

You think it's state sponsored because you have a predetermined conclusion that is made on how you want the facts to present themselves. You have pretty much completely, entirely overlooked any facts in this case, and you are just throwing things out there hoping people wont look into the actual story. It's clear you didn't take the time to even read the original story, or if you did, you are totally ignoring anything that goes against how you want this story to play into your fantasy.

^^ China/Cuba??... I dunno. Maybe Im jumping to too many unrealistic conclusions??

"Maybe Im jumping to too many unrealistic conclusions??"

The names listed are the peons of the operations. The bagman....

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

How does $45 Million get taken from ATM machines by 8 men in only 'hours'?

8 is the number of people they charged. They had people all over the world doing this. The 8 accused didn't steal 40 million or anywhere near that number. They were only able to get a fraction of the total themselves.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimoniousfinale

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by lacrimoniousfinale

Originally posted by cartenz
reply to post by AMANNAMEDQUEST

If the bank was going to steal of itself (as banks do daily)...

How can you steal something from yourself? Seriously, I just don't understand. I mean, it's the sort of soundbite that will get you a few stars hereabouts, but what does it actually mean?

Many ways. Bankrupting subsidiaries, buying bad debt while leveraging your personal accounts against that call, stock options or bonuses, loans that never get paid... The list kind of goes on and on.

You know that whole "bailout" thing. Bailouts aren't needed if a bank is not broke. A bank does not go broke when it's vaults are not being raided. (Metaphorically speaking, there's nothing actually in the vaults
)

I can see a lot of "stealing" going on here, but it is stealing from:

minority shareholders and / or creditors of the subsidiary
personal account holders
lenders who will never be repaid
governments / taxpayers

I still don't see how a bank is able to steal from itself.

I think you are taking a sarcastic comment and trying to make it way more literal than it was aimed to be. Great job, Buzzkillington.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
reply to post by boncho

Nowhere in my post did I mention the Illuminati. Nowhere in my post did I mention mind control. Illuminati and mind control are the words you used. Just want to remind you that you are on a website with a reputation for being one of the largest, most frequently visited sites - with a largely conspiracy themed content.

I guess I assumed RFID chipping everyone's arms had to do with the very common, popularized "Illuminati" plot... And the whole pay-op angle you were saying, I guess I assumed you were eluding to mind control. Ok, my apologies if this was not the case.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

From the article:

The operation removed the limits by hacking into two companies that process online payments for prepaid MasterCard debit card accounts issued by two banks—the National Bank of Ras Al-Khaimah PSC in the United Arab Emirates and the Bank of Muscat in Oman—according to an indictment filed in federal court in the Eastern District of New York. Prosecutors didn't identify the payment processors except to say one was in India and the other in the United States.

Oman, UAE and India. Sounds like a foreign operation, but the hackers were based in New York. Could it possibly be related to terrorism or Anti Amercan sentiment?????

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Of course you realize that once you deposit your cash into the bank it is no longer yours? In case you didn't realize that now deposits are a "bank" asset and if the bank goes under the only option is the FDIC insurance .....

The FED changed the rules last year .... FYI

top topics

<< 1   >>

join