posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:02 AM
This study means absolutely nothing, without knowing how much of the toxin is in an ear of corn.
Because they are using the number 27 mg/kg as a potentially harmful dose. That would require 1.5 grams/ear of corn to harm an adult male.
Pretty much everything has a lethal dose, even water. So now we know what a dangerous dose of this toxin is, we can't say anything about GMOs with
it until we know how much of the toxic is present in that organism.
This seems fishy:
It should also be noted that as bacteria use lateral transference of genetic material, making it a possibility for this genetic material to become
part of the human body’s bacterial bouquet that we depend on for our health (our bodies contain more bacteria cells than human ones by number).
Now the fact that bacteria do this is completely true. But for the genetic material to make its way past your stomach acids, into your GI tract,
where a lot of the bacteria reside, seems implausible to me. I'm not saying it's scientifically impossible, but for it to actually happen? Very
The fact that this scientist even suggests it, makes it seem to me like he's trying to scare people, and isn't working objectively.
Let's go back to the toxin. Let's say that a single ear of corn had 2 grams of this toxin. That means that anyone who ate an ear of corn would
essentially develop anemia. I don't see an outbreak of anemia.
What's most likely? This. There is this toxin in the corn, but it's not at levels to cause any noticeable damage. So even if there was 2 grams in
each ear of corn....you wouldn't lose many blood cells. Your blood cells would grow back before you had your next helping of corn. Blood cells grow
back rather quickly.
Fact is GM food is everywhere. Fact is I don't see an abnormal upsurge of anemia cases.
So even if this study shows the toxin is harmful in laboratory settings....this toxin isn't causing harm to the general public.