It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Proves Bt Toxins in GMOs Toxic to Mammalian Blood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
www.activistpost.com...

The scientists already knew that Bt toxin was very toxic and potentially deadly at levels above 270 milligrams per kilogram (basically ppm), so they instead tested levels ranging from 27mg/kg, 136mg/kg, and 270mg/kg for one to seven days (each of the Cry toxins were separated out and tested individually to maximize accuracy and total info). It was quite clear right off the bat that these Cry toxins were quite hemotoxic even at the lowest level of 27mg/kg administered only one time and one day as they clearly had damaged the blood, particularly in reference to red blood cells. The quantity and size of the erythrocytes (RBCs) were both significantly reduced, as was the overall levels of hemoglobin for which oxygen to attach to.

The good news there are more and more studies being conducted; bad news is in America there does not seem to have much of a MSN outcry......yet

The full results of the study and a more detailed explanation can be found at, along with full citations for this article:gmoevidence.com...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky

toxic and potentially deadly at levels above 270 milligrams
toxins were quite hemotoxic even at the lowest level of 27mg/kg

What kind of levels are found in humans after eating a dinner made from GMO crops?

Edit - the following paper is cited in the article cited by the article cited by the OP.
link

They find for Cry1Ab, about 0.19 ng/ml of blood.
However the article we're discussing here speaks of mg per kilo of bodyweight.
Not sure how to convert between the two in a sensible way.

edit on 9-5-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This study means absolutely nothing, without knowing how much of the toxin is in an ear of corn.
Because they are using the number 27 mg/kg as a potentially harmful dose. That would require 1.5 grams/ear of corn to harm an adult male.
Pretty much everything has a lethal dose, even water. So now we know what a dangerous dose of this toxin is, we can't say anything about GMOs with it until we know how much of the toxic is present in that organism.

This seems fishy:

It should also be noted that as bacteria use lateral transference of genetic material, making it a possibility for this genetic material to become part of the human body’s bacterial bouquet that we depend on for our health (our bodies contain more bacteria cells than human ones by number).

Now the fact that bacteria do this is completely true. But for the genetic material to make its way past your stomach acids, into your GI tract, where a lot of the bacteria reside, seems implausible to me. I'm not saying it's scientifically impossible, but for it to actually happen? Very very unlikely.

The fact that this scientist even suggests it, makes it seem to me like he's trying to scare people, and isn't working objectively.

Let's go back to the toxin. Let's say that a single ear of corn had 2 grams of this toxin. That means that anyone who ate an ear of corn would essentially develop anemia. I don't see an outbreak of anemia.

What's most likely? This. There is this toxin in the corn, but it's not at levels to cause any noticeable damage. So even if there was 2 grams in each ear of corn....you wouldn't lose many blood cells. Your blood cells would grow back before you had your next helping of corn. Blood cells grow back rather quickly.

Fact is GM food is everywhere. Fact is I don't see an abnormal upsurge of anemia cases.
So even if this study shows the toxin is harmful in laboratory settings....this toxin isn't causing harm to the general public.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
They find for Cry1Ab, about 0.19 ng/ml of blood.

edit on 9-5-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

5 L in the body, so multiply by 5000

So you're sitting at 950 ng TOTAL.

and they're talking 27 mg/kg.
950 ng is 0.00095 mg

This is why I laugh at all the anti-GM people.
edit on 9-5-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Here's a rough approximation.
Various places on the net tell me that a 50kg woman would have about 3.3 litres of blood.

So... starting at the detected levels of 0.19ng per ml of blood
= 570ng per 3.3 litres of blood
which is for 50kg of bodyweight,
thus, Cry1Ab has been detected at
570ng per 50kg bodyweight
= 11ng/kg

-----

Knowing that the original article scares us with mice being poisoned at 27mg/kg,
we now have an approximate figure that tells us that the mice were being poised at a rate
about 2 and a half MILLION times more dose that has been ever detected in humans.

No wonder they suffered.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Why is it even present in a vegetable in the first place? Says this casual observer.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

From what I've looked into, the issue maybe that some GMO's rupture the stomachs of insects to kill them,
This has lead to a increase in perforated stomachs in humans allowing undigested food particles to enter directly into the blood stream.
This could be the problem

Also this has been put forward as a reason in the increase in allergies in certain food stuffs, these undigested food particles are not recognised by your body and as such are attacked by your body's defences which in some way results in allergies and intolerances

Sorry for the short reply and probably slightly inaccurate terminology or details but I'm stuck in stan and have use my limited bandwidth to read ATS lol
So not trying to duff info you ........always searching for answers myself

But this is covered in the doc genetic roulette which I'm sure you've seen

top topics

join