It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Will Doesn't Mean What You Think It Does

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Are you one of those people who believe Free Will actually means making a choice whether or not you want to get up off this chair before reading this entire post to go make a Coffee? What kind of car you choose the next time you buy one? Or even what you want to have for supper tonight? Think again, because that is definitely not what Free Will is about.

When it comes to Free Will people only have two choices in this life. You can either choose to live selfishly(Evil) and not believe in God or both, or humbly(Good) and believe in God or both. I don't think it matters what our faith or belief is in life, but what really matters is how we live our life.

Why would God care care about the irrelevant actions of which you call 'Free Will'? He doesn't, because that isn't what Free Will is about. So it's obvious the actions that he speaks of has to be of more importance right? How do I put this in words, hmm...

Take an egotistical person for example who thinks he/she is above everybody else. That thought, is an action of Free Will. They choose to believe it thus they will show less compassion towards people. These people are often driven by Greed/Pride/Lust etc the Seven Deadly Sins anyone? This is the choice of Free will of a (Evil) person.

The other would be a humble person often driven by unselfishness, compassion,egolessness, charity, knowing that there is something out there bigger than themselves. This is the choice of Free will of a (Good) person.

I'm going to use the (Evil) term vaguely. Not everybody is 'evil' by definition but alot of people are on the negative path rather than the positive but doesn't make them evil. Just wanted to clear that up. Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes but the question is, 'Did you truly learn from them?'

1 Peter 5:5-6

You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,

And no, I'm not a religious person. I just read verses online about important human emotions such as humility and humbleness and feel deeply connected to such verses. I once read somewhere that the answers lie within the Bible and only those with eyes and ears and weary of ingorance shall see them. As a person who is on the path towards Enlightenment, I can see how that's true and I only wish I had the opportinity to read the Bible but I haven't read a book my entire life except for what I had to read in School. I can never really stick with them, I guess probably due to ADD.
edit on 8-5-2013 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

It was once said:

"Love is the law, DO what thou wilt, Love under wilt"

Don't love because you think you have to. Don't love because you are told to. Love because you want to!

Free will is doing something because you know it's right. Not because you are told so.
edit on 8-5-2013 by metalholic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Free will is doing whatever it is you do knowing it is without the unwanted influence or programming of anyone else.
Free will is not obeying something else...free will is making independant choices.....
we dont have any free will.......
We are stuck in a flow which like it or not carries us all willy nilly of our own desires and hopes.
ask anyone if they are working by choice or coercion...
the fact is much of what we are and do is already programmed into our matrix.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Well, what if I want to choose between making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a tuna fish sandwich, or a turkey sandwich? To begin with, that is three choices, and in addition, I think good and bad are irrelevant here.

I make those kind of choices every day, am I some kind of psionic?

edit on 9-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I can't read books either because of ADD, that sucks. Also, yeah, there are generally two paths to take I would imagine, but some followers of religion use it as an excuse to take the darker one.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
How can you prove you could have chosen otherwise when you can only ever make a choice once in any given moment, unable to go back and redo it?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
How can you prove you could have chosen otherwise when you can only ever make a choice once in any given moment, unable to go back and redo it?

Not all people can do this Yet they can and don't.

Sit and live a whole life in your head within 2 minutes and see if someone in your life is worth it down the road.

That's how some people know who their soul mates are. And who their best friends are.

If you can do that then you can use that method on any decision.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
When it comes to Free Will people only have two choices in this life. You can either choose to live selfishly(Evil) and not believe in God

No, I chose not to get up off my chair, not make a coffee and still not read the entire op.

Take that, god.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Also, I become a little confused.

If you don't know what your complete choices are, how do you know if you are free to make them?

Hmm?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

im sorry - but you are Very, very Off.

you forget
that 'free will ' is completely Tied to a persons Ego.

therefore, 'good' and ' bad ' that he does, is but relative.

..because he can go help the victims of an earthquake -
but do that work for very selfish [ though subconscious] reasons.

' but didnt we even cast out demons ?
go away from Me '

Your 'good and bad free will ' is but valid in this dualistic matrix -
but is not related to Him.
Sorry.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

When it comes to Free Will people only have two choices in this life. You can either choose to live selfishly(Evil) and not believe in God or both, or humbly(Good) and believe in God or both.

What the hell kind of crap is this? Evil = disbelief in a god thingy? Good = belief in a god thingy?

Are you kidding me? How dare you declare a full 1 billion human beings - many of them who sacrifice every day on behalf of the poorest and most oppressed people who exist - as being evil because they can't reconcile their understanding of what constitutes real and objective with the contradictory and hopelessly counter-intuitive concept that sets the basis for the existence of an invisible, imperceptible, and obviously impotent All-Mighty god boss? You are free to bow and crawl and smudge and crybaby to whatever you wish without anyone declaring you to be inherently evil, so why can't you rise to the level of being able to allow them the freedom to simply believe in one less god than you believe in?

Seriously. What god would ever be happy with someone who cheerfully slanders so many people with such a big, clumsy statement? Better yet, who would ever want to worship a beast that would be so odious as to be pleased with such abominable behavior by one of its own?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

You can either choose to live selfishly(Evil) and not believe in God or both, or humbly(Good) and believe in God or both. I don't think it matters what our faith or belief is in life, but what really matters is how we live our life.

It matters enough to you to put god into the equation though.

I live my life knowing every single person is an individual, that's my start point whenever I meet a new one.

Trying to pigeonhole and define people is like saying the same of 7 billion grains of sand.

How big are the grains, maybe they are also a sandcastle, part of a building, time in an eggtimer, a substrate in an aquarium, part of a tibetan mandala, dirt on a floor, ballast in stereo speakers.....or maybe they are all at different times or jus blowing in the wind.

Definitions for things like free will are so flexible they cannot be fixed, they are just ever changing moments....like us.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lone12

you forget

go away from Me '

Sorry.

No, I'm not off. I forgot to mention the point you made as well. Oh well what can ya do. You are right though, it's good to see someone else who understands it. Him is still considered bad, if he goes saves people for his own interest only what might they be? Lust? Attention, Pride? I believe I already mention those points. So it still counts as Bad in my books. You're also right that Free will is tied to Ego.

I knew I would miss that point but I'm glad you picked up on it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

How you read what I said is one thing, how I really meant to say it is another thing. Words, sentences, especially something original is always open to interpretation. You simply took what I said the wrong way. I knew to trend carefully with what so say because people would take it the wrong way, like you. But this isn't a topic that can be easily put into words, well not for me anyways.

I'll try to clarify it later when I'm the laptop.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have free will. Grand Theft Auto is all about free will, walking around the city. Do you let the cops chase you or do the missions. Walk around anywhere. Also I spit on this guy in a psych ward, and punched him in the head a few times, I have free will. If I want right now stand up and clap. I can.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There are 3 things that effect everyone's life:

1. Choice
2. Chance
3. Actions of others

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
True "free will" does not exist and cannot exist, due to both laws of man and laws of nature.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

reply to post by NorEaster

How you read what I said is one thing, how I really meant to say it is another thing. Words, sentences, especially something original is always open to interpretation. You simply took what I said the wrong way. I knew to trend carefully with what so say because people would take it the wrong way, like you. But this isn't a topic that can be easily put into words, well not for me anyways.

I'll try to clarify it later when I'm the laptop.

Okay, I'll check back later then. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your point. I get that a lot myself.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lone12

you forget

go away from Me '

Sorry.

So if free will is tied to my ego and I "Destroyed" it I would be brain dead? Since ofcourse that is where decision making comes from is will.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Forget about God, lets just talk about free will. Free will in the sense of all the minute choices is a bit of a farce. You can be connected to your subconscious, but most people arent.

Now, if you get into the middle of the feedback loop between your conscious and unconscious mind and choose at a high level of morality such as 'good' or 'evil' it will shape you. It will shape your unconscious and from it you will bear the fruit of whichever seed you sow.

Also, forget about good and evil.

Also, forget about yourself, and who you think you are, and your notions of what is real and what isnt.
edit on 10-5-2013 by preludefanguy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join