Free Will Doesn't Mean What You Think It Does

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by preludefanguy
Forget about God, lets just talk about free will. Free will in the sense of all the minute choices is a bit of a farce. You can be connected to your subconscious, but most people arent.

If you are thinking about yourself then you will not see the will of God - Gods will is free. Man wills it to different - which is the suffering.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Forget about God, lets just talk about free will. Free will in the sense of all the minute choices is a bit of a farce. You can be connected to your subconscious, but most people arent.

If you are thinking about yourself then you will not see the will of God - Gods will is free. Man wills it to different - which is the suffering.

Yes, who is the observer of your actions and reactions? Who observes the different senses?

Man only suffers because of his beliefs in things that are always changing or illusions.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Yes, who is the observer of your actions and reactions? Who observes the different senses?

Man only suffers because of his beliefs in things that are always changing or illusions.

When the unchanging presence is found the game is up.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
And that unchanging presence is beyond an 'observer' there was never an observer, there is just us, collapsing information into a working 'now'

the 'now' that is perceived, on a whole, is that unchanging presence... but it cannot be found in its parts, its parts are just there to experience, it is a hard thing to put accurately into words.

Like ying and yang, the mountain and its shadow, in eternal dance. The infinite nothingness cannot be expressed without its shadow to draw its contrast from.

So 'we' are just that, expressions, let us not be led by our illusion of 'self'

For that leads to suffering

Liberation is within the eternal infinite within us

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by preludefanguy

I fail to understand the 'we' and the 'us' - when there is only ever what is happening.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
reply to post by TheProphetMark

It was once said:

"Love is the law, DO what thou wilt, Love under wilt"

He said 1,000 women did but I always thought Wilt was a long tall drink of LIAR.

Darryl Forests

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
If you believe in Free Will at all, you might as well believe in the Supernatural. I believe in the casual meaning of the word, but the more apt way to put it would be "Illusion of Free Will." The belief in Free Will is also tied to the belief in Self, which again, is another illusion.

You are simply unaware of all the little tiny causes that add up to the decisions you make and the actions you take. There is no room for free will in any sort of logical argument. It defies explanation and doesn't even need to exist. You just "feel" like it exists, just like you might "feel" like God exists. Not really any different.

Let's say you wake up in the morning and you decide to not drink some coffee (as the other poster mentioned)... well why did you make this decision?
1) to piss off God, because normally you'd drink some coffee so you're trying to go against the grain
Why do you want to piss off God?
2) because you had a bad experience with predestination-believing religious types and want to prove that Free Will exists and your not under God's thumb
Why did you have a bad experience with these types?
3) because you went to a religious university and expected to enjoy it but instead didn't
We can do this forever... and actually, you should see multiple questions alongside each other in parallel. Like why are you even waking up this particular time in the morning, what's happening second by second to your biology, your HORMONES (man, talk about what motivates us), your chemicals...

Where is free will exactly? All I see are various events and memories and biological and chemical processes causing and affecting each other. There is no Free Will. And if there is Free Will, we have no logical reason or scientific evidence to believe in it, so it's in the category of God.
edit on 10-5-2013 by BlueApple because: (no reason given)
edit on 10-5-2013 by BlueApple because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
So I have free will to not believe in a creator that gave me free will?

Here is a free will test.

Wherever you are at the moment, close your eyes and ask yourself,

"What is my next thought going to be"?

You will find your free stuff there...

???

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The reason I put ' ' around the 'we' and 'us' is because as the illusion, this is what is normally seen as reality, but there is no 'we' and 'us' or 'I'

That was put there to try to explain the ideas to 'those' who havent seen it

the 'we' and 'us' would be the brain really, and our organs that act as the machine or gps system to tell us where we are at

Consciousness is like a fish of the sea or a bird of the sky, both can move about within the infinite, if it moves 'there' it will be 'there,' but the fish and the bird do not pay attention to the fact that it is actually the whole, for it only has business in the present moment of 'where' it is at, and there is no movement, everything is actually moving around 'you'

These words in a way have to be used to be explained in 'our' everyday language without confusing too much
edit on 10-5-2013 by preludefanguy because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1   >>

join