It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun violence in US has fallen dramatically over past 20 years, Justice Dept. report finds

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Originally posted by projectvxn
This doesn't fit the anti gun narrative.

People actually believe, thanks to the media, that gun violence is so prevalent that the streets are flowing with rivers of blood.

Shhh! Don't tell the Brits. They prefer to think that the whole country is populated by warring Chicago gangsters from the '30s. Why else would we need all these guns?

As a Brit I'd like to set you straight

Most of us are fully aware that guns do not kill people, it's PEOPLE who kill people.
Practically every person on the planet owns a deadly weapon, it's called a car, but we dont all go around killing people with it.

Actually most people on this planet DO NOT own a car. If you are talking about most homeowners in the developed world...then yes.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It'd be nice if I thought for a second that this report would register at all with the banners.

You’re right about that. This isn’t new news. In fact, violent crime has been trending down for a decade. I’ve had this pic saved on here for over a year.

No minds can be changed for there are no minds to change.

Good point!

edit on 8-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

This doesn't fit the anti gun narrative.

People actually believe, thanks to the media, that gun violence is so prevalent that the streets are flowing with rivers of blood.

funny because that is the impression pro gun crowd leave me with , if I didn't know better I would assume people were lining up to break into peoples houses and they criminals were around every corner waiting to shoot ya all . Hell with the amount of paranoia I have seen I wonder how many progun people think this

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Interesting statistics, but don't act like they negate the pro-gun control people's main arguments. Some of you are acting childish. Instead of being glad that violence is down for the sake of violence being down, you're giddy because it makes you think youre right about a certain issue. Pretty sick and heartless....

edit on 8-5-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Comon Ghost its nice to have your suspicions confirmed once in a while......
This is in conjunction with FBI stats that higher gun ownership results in less violent crimes......recent figures show this from their own spin docs.
It stands to reason that an armed society is a polite society, tempered with a little more restraint than unarmed ones....
Just look at assault crimes in Britain......they are rife....

link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Interesting statistics, but don't act like they negate the pro-gun control people's main arguments. Some of you are acting childish. Instead of being glad that violence is down for the sake of violence being down, you're giddy because it makes you think youre right about a certain issue. Pretty sick and heartless....

edit on 8-5-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

As opposed to touting families of slain people out for the 0bama magic show???

Yeah, okay then.

Funny, as the facts show concretely that more guns doesn't equal more gun violence.

link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I'm pretty sure all of us are happy that gun violence is down. That's really not an issue here.

The point is that the narrative the government and MSM is selling is flawed and proven by the government's own statistics. Sorry, but that's priceless.
edit on 8-5-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Shhh! Don't tell the Brits. They prefer to think that the whole country is populated by warring Chicago gangsters from the '30s. Why else would we need all these guns?

That is how they passed the machine gun laws of 1934.

Much like today they used media to lie to the public, and make it seem like everyone was going around killing people.

Wasn't the majority of gun owners, it was those Chicago gangsters history repeats.

To op:

Violence has fallen, but 'Gun violence' is a political talking point as if guns are getting up by themselves, and going around killing people.

It's just violence.
edit on 8-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Practically every person on the planet owns a deadly weapon, it's called a car, but we dont all go around killing people with it.

Yeah, but you also have to be tested by the government to ensure you can handle that vehicle in a responsible manner, and once you prove that, you are issued a license. The government knows you own the car, the make, the model, the vin number.

See the difference there?

But yeah I'm the first to admit that background checks won't stop illegal guns. No, only basic responsible practices will limit that, like keeping your gun locked up in a gunsafe. Have you ever seen someone steal a safe? A gunsafe? No, you haven't, they weigh too much are and too hard to get into to make it worth it.

Mass shootings have increased, gun violence as a whole has decreased.

Oh, and look at the dates, during Obamas term no less. Interesting.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Looking at that graph my question is what happened around 1994 that started the slow down trend?

As a brit i'm happy with what happens my side of the pond...possibly a bit too harsh on some of the firearm laws especially pistols where the national team can't train for the olympics in the country is rather nuts

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Explosion of prison populations reducing rates of recidivism:

The 1990s was a period of enormous growth in the number of people behind
bars, as demonstrated in Figure 3. After many decades of relatively stable imprisonment
rates, the prison population began to expand in the mid-1970s. By 2000,
more than two million individuals were incarcerated at any point in time, roughly
four times the number locked up in 1972. Of that prison population growth, more
than half took place in the 1990s.

Also the waning crack influence and the just becoming effects of abortion legalization.

Understan ding Why Crime Fell in the 1990's

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

With armor piercing, heat seeking bullets with a range of 500 miles and enough power to knock over the moon.
edit on 7-5-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

LOL! You just about made me pee myself.....

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The good news doesn't get headlines because the MSM makes more money by putting stories about how guns are bad and they kill children.

We went through this same argument in 1990. Exact same argument. Clinton did assault ban. Bush reversed.

Its all meaningless and an issue to sway peoples emotions like gay marriage and other things that have no affect on our daily lives.

In the meantime your taxes go up, the dollar goes down, inflation goes up.

Focus on guns though, its the most important thing, and everything bad will go away if we can just take the mean guns away.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

OP, I thought you might find this interesting. As gun crimes go down gun ownership continues to rise.

Are these two stats related?? I'll let you be the judge.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

That what I do with my AR15 according to politicians.

According to politicians, its a machine gun.

Get it right !

According to politicians, it is a weapon of mass destruction, on par with a nuclear bomb or vx rocket. Apparently nowadays a pressure cooker bomb is also a weapon of mass destruction. In that case Bush had every right to invade Iraq, the country was overflowing with WMD's.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The silence of the anti second amendment crowd is deafening.

Hurry, bring out some pictures of murder, mayhem, heap dead burnt bodies, crying women, dead children, and whatsoever other ghastly images that will surely stoke the emotions of the mindless.

The Harvard Study is an interesting read on similar truths....

www.law.harvard.edu...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The same statistics applies to any other first-world country.

Still, when comparing US with other countries on the same level (Most, not all OECD countries - Northern/Western/Central Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Singapore, Japan etc), then US has by far the highest firearms death rate... Over 4 times more than any of the comparable countries.

PS: Please somebody do not bring up an argument containing 3rd world/poor countries... Poverty plays a lot of role in crime and only countries with similar wealth can be compared to each other in crime statistics.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Interesting statistics, but don't act like they negate the pro-gun control people's main arguments.

Still waiting on a cogent argument...

Some of you are acting childish. Instead of being glad that violence is down for the sake of violence being down, you're giddy because it makes you think youre right about a certain issue.

No thinking necessary...we are right...you are wrong...

Pretty sick and heartless....

What is sick, disgusting, and heartless, is having some screwed up slime bag peddle out a dog and pony show, complete with blades of grass behind a glass, utilizing sorrowful, isolated events in an attempt to push his skewed views on a majority...using impressionable children as pawns is the act of a pedophile...even more sick is that you agree with these actions instead of facts...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by smokenmirrors

Very interesting read.

From your source-

Yet, manifest success in keeping its people disarmed did not prevent the Soviet Union from having far and away the highest murder rate in the developed world.6 In the 1960s and early 1970s, the gun‐less So‐ viet Union’s murder rates paralleled or generally exceeded those of gun‐ridden America.

Perhaps violence has more to do with "circumstances" than the weapons available. Ya think?
edit on 8-5-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Well you could have fooled me. Fool a man once, fool a man twice, and fool a man again or something something.

George Bush II

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join