It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun violence in US has fallen dramatically over past 20 years, Justice Dept. report finds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I saw this earlier today and figured it would have been posted already, but didn't see it . MSM actually reported on this, but then buried it I guess. Doesn't gel with the agenda so it's sure not getting much attention.

Murders committed with a gun dropped 39 percent to 11,101 in 2011, from a high of 18,253 in 1993, according to the report.

As for where crime guns came from, the study notes that less than two percent of convicted inmates reported buying their weapons at gun shows or flea markets. The highest number, 40 percent, said the guns came from a family member or a friend. About 37 percent said the weapons were stolen or obtained from an illegal source. The rest say the guns were bought at a retail store or pawn shop.

37% from stolen or illegal source - well, background checks will certainly help there, no? 40% from friends who perhaps obtained them illegally? Again - good thing the government wants to protect us by making sure guns don't fall into the wrong hands.

Wonder why such good news is not headline news?

usnews.nbcnews.com...

edit on 7-5-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This doesn't fit the anti gun narrative.

People actually believe, thanks to the media, that gun violence is so prevalent that the streets are flowing with rivers of blood.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

People actually believe, thanks to the media, that gun violence is so prevalent that the streets are flowing with rivers of blood.

Shhh! Don't tell the Brits. They prefer to think that the whole country is populated by warring Chicago gangsters from the '30s. Why else would we need all these guns?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

To murder children by the dozens of course!

That's what I do with my AR15 according to politicians.
edit on 7-5-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Shhh! Don't tell the Brits. They prefer to think that the whole country is populated by warring Chicago gangsters from the '30s. Why else would we need all these guns?

As a Brit I'd like to set you straight

Most of us are fully aware that guns do not kill people, it's PEOPLE who kill people.
Practically every person on the planet owns a deadly weapon, it's called a car, but we dont all go around killing people with it.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Do you or don't you think we're all Chicago 1930s gangsters!?

I see you didn't address this issue. I May have to call my cousin Vinny to set you straight...err...I mean..Talk to you...Yeah, that's right, talk...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
And the Justice department is aware of this because they have delivered most of the guns to Mexico and out of the hands of those who would do the most harm. Gee I'm so glad I have the government and people like Eric Holder protecting me.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Between the years of 1993 and 2011, as the assault weapons ban expired, more Americans purchased guns, the Supreme Court overturned outright gun bans, and individual states not only loosed gun control restrictions but also issued concealed carry permits to private citizens, incidents of gun violence in America collapsed. Between 1993 and 2011, nonfatal gun crimes plummeted 69%; from 1.5 million to 467,300. Gun-related murders dropped 40%; from 18,253 to 11,101. Gun-related murders for black Americans plummeted by 51%. The report also shows that the media-created hysteria over school shootings is wildly misleading. Between '93 and '11, the murder rate in schools dropped by almost a third; from 29 to 20. Background checks have also been exposed as another bogus narrative the media's crafted out of thin air. This report proves beyond any doubt that closing the so-called gun show loophole will accomplish next to nothing. Less than one-percent of state prisoners caught with a gun purchased it at a gun show. Moreover, who knows how many of those criminals might have passed or did pass a background check.
from the pdf page 4 its a pdf so be forwarned

bjs.gov...
star and flag OP i ever since i found this i been sending it to my pro 2nd amendment friends glad to see it getting more attention

www.breitbart.com... another source for ya op

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Do you or don't you think we're all Chicago 1930s gangsters!?

I'll say just two words - Al Capone !!

No we dont think your a bunch of gun toting nutters. It's the - Divide and Conquer - crowd who spread that garbage.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Unfortunately, it's still not getting enough attention. MSM reported it, but dutifully and peripherally at best, because it just doesn't fit with their story line. That alone is so telling.

As project Vxn said the prospect of blood running in the streets is so much more compelling and so very very far from the truth. Place this reality on all the MSM news stories.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Well not all of us think you're all different incarnations of Dr. Who.

So I guess we learned something today.

We must all tell the TV to go to hell.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

That what I do with my AR15 according to politicians.

According to politicians, its a machine gun.

Get it right !

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

With armor piercing, heat seeking bullets with a range of 500 miles and enough power to knock over the moon.
edit on 7-5-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

the comments in the OP's article are absolute gold with some literal head explosions from people accusing the source of trying to skew the data(yeah the justice department puts out pro gun propaganda........lol) to people just plain screaming at each other .this is almost like Christmas i been giggling for the last 20 minutes

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

I just went back and read some of them. My favorite - "What's this story doing here? Must be lost"

Also of note - gun death statistics include suicides.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Not at all.

The media is merely amplifying everyday stories of gun violence.

There's not MORE violence. It's all blown out of proportion for the purposes of telling a fib.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It'd be nice if I thought for a second that this report would register at all with the banners.

No minds can be changed for there are no minds to change.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

But...........but...............Guns kill people...............What about the children....Don't you care about the children?????

The Anti-Gun Rights crowd has been a joke and a fraud for a long time now. It is solely based on their fear of an inanimate object.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
Wonder why such good news is not headline news?

To twist a quote by Sweet Brown (who suffers from bronchitis BTW, bless her heart with a cold pop) "Ain't nobody got time for facts..."

Not when there are so many sad photos and grieving parents to pose innocently behind the podium as the Emperor-in-Chief spreads propaganda that would make Goebbels proud to advance his agenda...

Now to quote the Liar-in-Chief "Let me be clear"; he is not the only one in on this thing but he sure is the one driving the bus.

The facts are simply not in favor of anti-gun legislation - it doesn't work.

So where facts fail your argument it’s time to bust out the emotional appeal.

"But think of the children...."

Well played Barry...

Very sad really.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The reason violence is dropping is because more people are carrying Guns. Funny how that works. It being reported that murder stats are way down, from the 90's. I think its because people are carrying their guns more, and not waitng for the police to arrive. Police are an actionary force, after the violance has been commited. you wait for the police, then you might as well wait for the herse to take you to the funeral home.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join