It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking joins academic boycott of Israel

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
If Hawking really wanted to express himself, he would help Iran perfect the bomb.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Well, according to the msm they sleep with nukes under their pillows so I dont think they need any help.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Where did I link religion? Its the law of precedence. Do not your previous actions somewhat determine future actions? Of course they do. For example: If I always see myself as an afraid, unsure, weak minded person, when someone talks to me, my instinct to his mold myself to that self-image, and so respond in a manner consistent with earlier patterns of behaviour.

Take this in. It is crucial that you understand this basic psychological fact for you to understand that my reference to Judaism was not for "religious purposes" but to point out the historical manner in which Christians thought of Jews: in terms of Judaism. This is how their psychology functioned. This way of thinking then seeped into their future thought about Jews and banking. Even though they were forced into that profession by bigoted Christian workers guilds and a racist Christian government, this fact somehow fell under the radar, and so again, the peoples of 18th, 19th and 20th century Europe often thought of the evils in the world as attributable to the contemptible "Jews". This is obviously a psychological leitmotif from Christian times. It occurred unconsciously, perhaps, or maybe it was exploited by people with philosophical prejudices. In any case, future behaviour is by some degree influenced by past behaviour. Historically, we have thought this way about Judaism and Jews. Why isn't it relevant to point out that the same thing seems to be occurring today, this time towards the Jewish state?

I'm sorry you don't like it, but its a perfectly reasonable thesis. Only you don't like it, because you yourself have become egoistically identified with the Israel-Palestine conflict, taking the side of the Palestinians.

You know you are wrong, when you ignore facts, under-weigh facts, or interpret them in a manner which doesn't properly weigh the issues in question. This is what psychologists and sociologists call the "moral gap". Because were emphasizing different things, we each come to a different understanding. But that does not mean that were both right. One side is often being misled by an incorrect view or stubborn refusal to accede.

It takes great maturity to take part in political discourse. Unfortunately, thats not how things typically work.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

What a beautiful and intelligent post! I agree and appreciate everything you have said. Thank you for injecting some intellectual fact into this debate and not simply basing it on emotion. Well done!

Pax

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

He destroyed himself because he was drinking and driving, because he attacked his girlfriend like a crazy man on the phone. What he said about Jews was merely the icing on the cake. Mel Gibson destroyed his own career.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

You are correct, my bad.

Hangs head in shame.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
If Hawking really wanted to express himself, he would help Iran perfect the bomb.

Maybe that's his next move?

A nude bomb.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
As far as Hawking being the most intelligent individual on the planet well that is in the eyes of the beholder and how you measure intelligence. Mr. Hawking has based his entire stance on nothing but his own opinion.

As a self proclaimed Atheist, the proof is on him to prove God does not exist. With his level of intelligence I am sure he will have no problem... His statement and actions are based on nothing but political views and his need for personal gain.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
reply to post by paxnatus

You are correct, my bad.

Hangs head in shame.

No problem, and no need to feel bad. I am just glad I was able to clarify what I meant. Thank you.

Pax

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Israel needs all the pressure possible put on them to stop their crap- of course so do the Arabs. Now if people start divesting from them, that will be impressive.

+23 more 
posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
How has this turned into a religious debate?

Do Palestinians not worship the Abrahamic God too?
Do Jews not worship the Abrahamic God?

Stephen Hawking's stance against Israel is in regards to their treatment of Palestinian people....NOT what God they worship (which happens to be the same).

Ridiculous.

So those trying to slander him because he's an atheist who supports Palestinians....just remember....they're religious too!!!!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

There's not a single company stupid enough to divest from Israel. Why? Because Israel = good business. Even most universities oppose the politicization of science. Science, in essence, is a common human pursuit. It represents one of the noblest aspirations of the human spirit. Most Universities find penalizing Israeli academics for its government policies to be unfair, because in a democratic society, not all people agree with their governments actions.

More importantly, Israeli science is at the cutting edge in medical sciences, computer technology, and other important areas of study. Only a half-wit scientist would be willing to sacrifice his eagerness for scientific progress to a passing political interest.

The more people, universities, and different minds working together, the better. Maybe Muslims should stop conceiving their world in such stark fundamentalist ways and join in on the science thing. Perhaps that is whats needed to cool down their hot temper.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Oh dear lord.

Firstly, not all Palestinians are religious. Per capita, there are more atheists amongst Palestinians than anywhere else in the Arab world.

Secondly, you have disastrously misunderstood my explanations which reference religion. Perhaps you should read over them more clearly before you make a clown of yourself by thinking religion has been brought into the conversation, as opposed to being used as an example for a psychological phenomena. But then again, one wonders if the people who post here would even recognize the difference.

As for Hawking. When a preeminent scientist shares his view about God and religion, that is a POLITICAL action whether you understand it or not. Peoples opinions are swayed by that action; support is lent to other popular atheists who also boradcast their atheism.

This recent action of Hawking is, contrary to your naive assumption, a calculated decision of Hawkings.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
At his age, health, and celebrity status, he can boycott whatever he wants. I would be boycotting half the planet if I were him, for not inventing the walking suit sooner and wondering why supergods weren't coming out of the sky to heal ailments. He is one of the nuclear scientists that the global powers haven't yet assassinated. Congratulations Hawking, you just made Israel's list.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Off topic, but atheism IS the minority in the World.

On topic.

I wonder if Hawking would lend his skills to the Palestinians? Put your thoughts and ideas, where your moneys at.

His voice means nothing, if he isn't helping in a constructive way namely, helping the Palestinians with practical science, not words.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

I figured it out years ago. Hawking should've called me up I could have taught him a thing or two on the government of Israel.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Wow. I didn't know about this boycott so far - so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

A very good move in general I think and on Sir Hawking's part - kudos & chapeau!

If being respectful towards the (human) rights of other people(s) nowadays makes you an anti-Semite...
So be it!

Back in the days of "the Reich" those Semites might have had another opinion about that I suppose.
But since then they seem to have learned a bit about that (or even two - maybe actually III... ).

A

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Firstly, Palestine, from everything I have read, is mainly Islam followed by Jewish followed by Christian, in religious beliefs. I've actually seen no mention of Atheism....please back up your claim with factual links.

Secondly, Yes, I agree that Hawking weighing in on the GOD debate is a political action....but there is nothing I have seen from the Israel=Palestinian conflict that has convinced me that Israel is free from all wrongdoing....from what I have seen, read and studied the situation is unfair and Israel continually fail to abide by original agreements put in place. The treatment of Palestinians is atrocious. More people should be made aware of what is really happening there.

Finally, I've come to my own conclusion regarding Israel after years and years of accepting the mainstream views of Israel, along with religious views of Israel. Then....one day....I decided to open my eyes.

Now, I don't enitrely disagree with your views of jewish treatment throughout the ages...but I am looking at what the Palestinians are going through right now.
edit on 8-5-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The greatest shock I had was when Hawkings in total desperation to work out how the universe was made stated that it all came from nothing,that matter appeared from nothing. When you look deeper into what he said its CREATION but as always he stopped at whether God was involved

It's a miracle he is still alive, he should give thanks to the God he doesn't believe in who loves him
edit on 8-5-2013 by abbey7777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2013 by abbey7777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Hahaha, Another high profile person speaking out against the actions of Israel.......Yet there are still idiots here who are in denial and defend Israel.

And what's worse is some here are trying to defame him....like he really isn't that clever
......Well its like this, the worlds most eminent take his words and dissect them and they stand up to scrutiny...So yes he probably does know what's what.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join