It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing new product! get rid of cable! Free high definition TV without the monthly fees!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Have you seen the ad?
They act as if it's a revolutionary advancement in technology, a device that will allow your HDTV to receive dozens of channels. All while saving you thousands in cable or satellite bills.
Well, it's kind of true. It's a TV antenna.

Most people that live in, or near town, can get away with just a set of wires. Thats what I do..Speaker wires to be exact. I get about 35 channels. Some in VIVID AMAZING HD!

I'm not sure if I am ranting because TV ads take us for fools. Or that I'm not the one who came up with the idea to take everyone for fools.

But it IS AMAZING, INCREDIBLE, and 60 year old tech, probably older. Your old rabbit ear antennas will work too BTW.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I have a big antenna on the roof, I live in a rural area where there is quite a way to the towers. It cost me over a hundred bucks for the antenna. The last one lasted me about 16 years. I get ten stations, there is almost always something to watch and if there isn't that is good because I don't need to be watching that much TV anyway. I used to spend way to much time scrolling through the channels to see what was on when we had the dish.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Tell me more about this wire thing.....id like to get some free HD channels

How does it work? What do you plug them in to? Do you need a freeview box or something? Or is it an extension of the existing aerial i have on the roof?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I remember hearing an ICP rap song that talked about this called "miracles".

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I've seen the ad on TV and does, if you're not paying attention, seem like some sort of new technology.

I don't have cable or satellite TV and I could only get 4 stations where I live....until, that's right, I bought a special antenna. Not this thing that is being advertised, though. I spent about 85 dollars for an antenna that is remote controlled. It's too fragile to mount on the roof, however, so I put it in my attic. I have 3 TV's connected to it and I can watch TV stations from various cities that are from 45 to 100 miles away.

And if there isn't anything good at all on the over the air TV stations, I have Hulu Plus and Netscape...all the TV shows and movies I could possibly want to watch for way less than the cost for basic cable around here.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

How does it work? What do you plug them in to? Do you need a freeview box or something? Or is it an extension of the existing aerial i have on the roof?

If you have a roof antenna, just make sure it's oriented correctly. HD signals don't travel as far as the old analog signals. But what I have on the back of my tv is this adapter
www.amazon.com... Price is one dollar.

popped one end on the coax antenna connector. And hooked speaker wire up where the two little screws are.
Then spread the wires on the floor behind the tv..you may have to move them around a little.
You have to have an HDTV of course! But I remember watching the Beijing olympics over the air and the quality was MUCH higher than what came over the cable box..Because they were using signal compression to deliver the signal.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Thanks, il give that a go

Yea i have a 1080p tv, i think il give this a go and see what happens

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

But see, you bought an ACTUAL SPECIAL antenna, to deal with your situation. A one time investment, and you own it. I like some of those side channels that most local stations offer now. The ones that offer Classic TV, for example. But sure. A good antenna, and a couple of streaming options, all the TV you could possible need.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Thanks, il give that a go

Yea i have a 1080p tv, i think il give this a go and see what happens

I checked, and they also sell them at Radio shack.
They call them "Matching Transformer"s.
or you could ask for Coax to Twinlead.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I live about 60 miles from the largest city that has a Station.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a digital antennae for $40.00. It was about as useless as Peanut Butter WithOut Jelly.

So, I went onto the internet and downloaded plans for an antennae and an amplifier. Both of which are readily available on the web.

Now I receive 54 Crystal Clear High Definition Channels. There are 4, 24 hour a day movie channels, 3 weather channels, 11 PBS channels ( My Favorites ), 6 religion related channels, as well all CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX channels in addition to some other various channels. Sometimes when the air is thick with moisture I am able to pick-up more channels.

On a side note,. .. I was listening to Clark Howard on the radio one day and he said that Cable TV and Satellite TV were not really High Definition because they run the signal through filters which limits the signal.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

That's amazing for 60 miles. Would it be to much to ask for links to those plans?
I'm sure there are plenty out there. But you actually found some, and then made them work.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Here is a video of how to build an HDTV Antennea.

www.youtube.com...

Here is the link for the Schematic and Instructions.

www.electroschematics.com...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Here's a place to start:

uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com...

You Tube has dozens more but this one is done by techs.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I have the worst reception that I was going to put a thread up today about it.I have rabbit ears,I have a weird airplane shaped flat antenna and an outside hard flat white square shaped antenna and I have a 3 way connecter for this mess.My digital t.v. is not hi-def.I live a stone's throw from heavily trafficked main roads in my town.The channels all seem to pick up when they want to and how they want to-maybe with a glitch here and there or clear as a bell all day long!I am being driven to madness by the frustation.Thank you for posting! S and F for you.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
They say "digital" antenna but theres nothing digital about it, its just an antenna. I have a big 100 dollar one from Lowes I use in my country house. Combined with the 30 dollar amplifier from wal mart it works pretty well, a coathanger will pick up local towers but if you want to receive a signal 60 miles away, you need a large antenna atleast 30 feet in height for max reception. The towers can be found on the internet in your area. The amplifier does not make you get more channels but stops the breaking up of existing channels.

edit on 5-5-2013 by jazztrance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

wait wait people still watch tv??

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

they do!
And now you can watch it for FREE, over the air, with this amazing technology.
Almost like in the 50s

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
When I ws younger late eighty's I had a TV in my room but no ariel connection. To get a signal as kids we used a wire coat hanger.

At this time there where only 4 channels in the uk but we where able to get all 4. So the wire setup will work.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Free to Air Satellite is even better, currently there are hundreds of channels for free and all you need is an inexpensive dish, lnb and set top box. Channel lists are at www.ftalist.com and www.lyngsat.com.

Dual tuner receivers with optional hard drive for dvr.

complete systems can be had for less than $100.00. Steerable antenna system $200.00 t0 $300.00.

You can even retrofix an old Big Ugly Dish for even more free channels. There is plenty of alternative media as well.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

This gets you local channels in HD and depending on how powerful the antenna and your location some other cities local channels as well. This is not new technology so a little confused to what you saying or ranting. The problem with the antenna is there is nothing on local TV unless you like a couple of shows in primetime and if you like sports then you are in big trouble as no ESPN.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join