It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

living without computer and tv

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
i use a computer daily.. and watch tv. but there come a time where we had to paint my room so we had to remove everything, furniture.

at that time i spent one week without anything like computer, music, or tv.

i must say in the beginning it felt hard because i was used to the electronics.

i was at that time training a lot and eating healthy..

but on the third day i started to feel myself like never before, in a great way. what i felt was total serenity and contemplation.. i felt joy everyday.

i slept in the kitchen and see the sunrise and sunset every time.. basically i just wanted to share this experience.

what i believe is.. tv and computers, radio, iphone and everything we are so used to are changing our minds.
im seriously thinking that.. i am thinking that we get more affected by technology... every day.

edit on 3-5-2013 by 2Unknown because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by 2Unknown because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
We went over a year without either, and I'm not sorry about it.

We are no longer addicted to the tv, just watching whatever is on (even when there is NOTHING on
)
We now stream when we want, but not very often.

The kids went out and played, we cooked and cleaned the house, We had great fun and conversation. We now entertain ourselves

We will never have cable again, but now have internet for homework purposes, and a just a bit of entertainment, but is not viewed as a necessity.
edit on 3-5-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I agree that our reliance on electronics makes some people (myself included) a little less able to just be happy with just being ourselves... I've given up on electronics/phone and such before, problem is I have to type out reports now for work everyday so I need Internet/computers to feed my kids for the moment... Also truth be told I love getting off work and drinking a beer while playing black ops 2 when the kids are out playing in the backyard.. It's my vice

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
We're Doomed without the internet. I'd have ATS DTs for weeks.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I lived "outdoors" for years at a time. I read books.
I love to learn, so any source of information is welcome.
I prefer the internet, because knowing-anything is at your fingertips.

You guys don't know what it was like before. You had to go to a library or wait for a TV show about science or nature to come on.

I don't care where it comes from...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I haven't had cable TV or even basic local channels in years. To me, TV is pointless, but I'm contemplating purchasing a basic plan so company isn't freaked out by no TV.

Internet, I've gone through periods without. Those times I like to call the Dark Times. *shiver*

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
ATS is the only portal i'd be missing

But I'm fine without the bombardment of computer & tv!

Guess I could keep abreast of ATS from a phone

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I like having access to the internet for information and I pay for cable tv because I like to have it when I want it.

Lots of times I come home from work and dont turn the tv on...sometimes for days. But when I want it I have it. I like to watch Big Bang Theory.

Its what I enjoy. I work and can afford it. I dont have the latest iphone or trendy clothes. my tennis shoes I bought 5 years ago, my work boots I spend money on.

I know your thread wasnt about the cost, just wanted to throw that in.

I love being outdoors and camping, but at home I cant imagine not having internet this day in age. I think I would go crazy

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Tv is not something i'd ever miss,but living out in the sticks,however beautiful,can get very boring.We can't afford to really ever go anywhere or do anything-the cost of gas(and just about anything else)is prohibitive in my country.So the net is my only entertainment,and source of info-that i Would miss if the servers had to go down permanently.If a global SHTF event came to pass though,to cause that,i think folks would be so busy just trying to survive,there won't be that time to miss tv or net.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I've been skipping out on TV for a long time now (since my parents split - I lived with the parent that could only afford the "free" channels). Even now, since I'm out on my own, the TV very rarely comes on.

As for the internet, the only reason it's present in my place is because it's used for work and relaxation time - finding that it's pretty easy to not turn the computer on for days on end now (if an earlier version of me were to see me do this, I'd think I was crazy).

Congrats on surviving a week without both!

-Fossilera

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I totally agree, there seems to be some kind of disconnect with people an their machines.
When we go to the field, the first couple of days completely suck, but after a while, hanging out with other people in the same situation, its not that bad, very soothing, more intuned with nature, you could hear ever insect, feel every breeze, no matter how slight an subtle it may be.
I believe people need to just disconnect for a little bit, I had always thought that machines emit an electrical field that screws with our brain activity and that going out to the woods and away from everything digital wohld be a good thing, harmonize with earth people.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
sure when i have been on vacation to other countries for more then a month its starts to feel a little bit hard without internet, music and movies, tv and so on.. it starts to feel boring sometimes too.. but damn, how great u feel?

i think that we are born, and the people that are born in this century will have a hard time living without electronics.

new topics

top topics

join