It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Key to Eternal Youth Found!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
never mind someone beat me to it
edit on 5/2/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)
But I dug your car analogy!

Repost bud, it's a valid point!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
reply to post by akushla99

Exactamundo!!

At last someone who understands. Seems like we are in the minority here.

Korg.

The process by which this happens appears 'unscientific' (mainly because it involves thought - which of course is really only 'measured' by proxy)...

Why am I not balding, like the forebears of my generation? Why have I not succumbed to the diseases and 'congenital' conditions that my siblings do?

Perhaps because I was thinking about this process at a very early age (and never lost its veracity)...

Then again, could have been 'the luck of the draw' - does that sound very scientific?

Cheers

A99

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth
Korg Trinity - based on your screen name, I'm sure you've heard Ray Kurzweil's "Singularity" theory.

I was watching the Ray Kurzweil documentary Transcendent Man on Netflix about a year ago, and I remember him saying something along the lines of 'scientists will have figured out how to eliminate the aging gene within the next 20 years or so...'

I've never been fortunate enough to own a Kurzweil, though I have plenty of the multi samples from the rang of instruments.

Yes, Ray Kurzweil is a complete hero of mine, He is one of the few that I could say genuinely has an eye on where technology is taking us.

I have watched many of his trans humanist documentaries but not sure if I have seen the one you quoted. I will give it a watch. thank you.

I always ask people if they'd like to live to a hundred.... a hundred twenty... two hundred... I always get the same response... "why would I want to be a shrivelled up old person?"... but when I throw out the idea of science helping with the aging problem, that's when I reiterate my question: If science allowed you to live passed a hundred, would you?'... they still say "no"!

Yep I get the exact same response. It's like people genuinely want to die. Like they feel they have had enough of life, as if they are somehow too tired to continue.

I absolutely agree with you that I cannot empathise with this way of thinking at all.

I can't possibly be the only one who wants to live for 500 years!

I'm gonna have to really read your post Korg Trinity --- I'm absolutely fascinated by this as well!

Ess and Eff to you buddy!

You are not alone. Kurzweil in one of his lectures described a kind of humanist revolt against the trans humanists. Maybe some kind of war?!?

I know which side I would be on... give me life and anyone who wants to stop that can go to hell in a handcart!!

i would also like to address the comment about wanting to live long as being selfish?? how can this be selfish?? it's not like I am taking anything away from anyone else to live long. It's your individual choice and if you don't want to then die. but don't try and stop those of us whom have the will to live forever.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Gosh what a lot of negative comments... though I am not surprised.

Often when talking to people about living much longer they seem to not want to live longer... when asked why they tend to say they are tired.... or something to that effect.

I love life and I want to stay alive for as long as I can.

What the article is suggesting is that there is a single mechanism that triggers the downward spiral of old age.

Immortality is possible and does exist on this planet... in the form of a jelly fish called a Turritopsis nutricula. This animal can become an adult and then revert back to a youth indefinitely.

They are not eternal. Their senescence process is around 1,000 years. I guarantee you that you will not find any that can be aged as older than this.

And this is a result of their cellular composition, almost no environmental variables within their habitat and very few natural predators.

They are a poor choice for advocacy of eternal life.

Energy can be 'eternal', but no life process will ever be. If you want to live for a thousand years, I told you how to do so in my last post.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Who would seriously want to live for 1000 years?

Me!

I'd LOVE to have that long a lifespan. LOTS of stuff I'd like to do. I really enjoy my life. If I had 15x the amount at the level of health I have now, there's all sorts of long term projects I'd get into.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Me!

I'd LOVE to have that long a lifespan. LOTS of stuff I'd like to do. I really enjoy my life. If I had 15x the amount at the level of health I have now, there's all sorts of long term projects I'd get into.

Yeppers...

I wonder if not wanting to live long is the product of a non imaginative mind? A desire for it to end a product of boredom?

Oh the things you could do if you had that length of time to immerse yourself into.

It's like a braingasm!!

Korg.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Stop for one second and think bigger, think beyond yourself.

Try taking your own advice....

Perhaps death is the next adventure in the cosmic progression of our soul. To be welcomed, unafraid and excited to see what's next. I find your arrogance insulting as illustrated by this comment...

I wonder if not wanting to live long is the product of a non imaginative mind? A desire for it to end a product of boredom?

edit on 2-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

[
Looks like Most of you want to die.... I guess it says something about the lives people live.

I don't think that most of them want to die. I think that most of them want to cope with the reality of death, and aging, so they must convince themselves it is not such a bad thing. And... maybe death isn't in and of itself. It sure is a big, scary unknown though. But the ever accelerating degeneration... that is a bad thing. No doubt. It is suffering, it is humiliating, and if there is no need for it then I say great.

Personally... I'm with you. I think that mankind in general on a fundamental and usually subconscious (please see above for "why") level seek immortality. I'll get on the train for 1,000 years of life, if it is a good quality of life that is.

This slow, undignified slide into mortality pi$$es me off to no end.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Oh the things you could do if you had that length of time to immerse yourself into.

Well, once I had enough money stashed up to live off the interest, I'd get that physics doctorate I never can make time for.

There's so much stuff I'd like to understand better, languages I'd like to learn, places to go, cultures to investigate, things to do. 1000 years wouldn't be enough, IMHO. I could keep myself busy for 1000 years, easily.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse

[
Looks like Most of you want to die.... I guess it says something about the lives people live.

I don't think that most of them want to die. I think that most of them want to cope with the reality of death, and aging, so they must convince themselves it is not such a bad thing. And... maybe death isn't in and of itself. It sure is a big, scary unknown though. But the ever accelerating degeneration... that is a bad thing. No doubt. It is suffering, it is humiliating, and if there is no need for it then I say great.

Personally... I'm with you. I think that mankind in general on a fundamental and usually subconscious (please see above for "why") level seek immortality. I'll get on the train for 1,000 years of life, if it is a good quality of life that is.

This slow, undignified slide into mortality pi$$es me off to no end.

'Want', is a different flavor of process...force of will never produced anything...

Here's your hypnotic cue...

'...ever accelerating degeneration...'

Pass that info onto your new genes next year! See what happens...self-fulfilling prophecy...

A99

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

]
Yep I get the exact same response. It's like people genuinely want to die. Like they feel they have had enough of life, as if they are somehow too tired to continue.

Peace
Korg.

One reason is that their brain is tired, and they are using their tired brain function to contemplate physical longevity. Or for most people, life is something like the work of a steam engine driver shovelling coal into the fiery furnace to keep the machine running - shovelling in food, drink, sex, e.t.c. This process may seem exciting and novel as a teenager or youth but the continuous search for novelty in a mundane process does become tired after a while. The reason it becomes monotonous is because the process does not exist for the sake of the process. The steam train does not exist for the purpose of transporting itself.

Another reason that people become tired of life is because life has been reduced to economics. Living is partially about economics, but that is not the purpose of life.

All of the commercials on T.V. which concern products which promise to make you look younger nearly all generally indicate a timeframe of 10 years younger. This, people can tolerate. When you talk about doubling or tripling lifespan, people balk. They will use the excuse of overpopulation, but really the thought of living that long seems to depress them. This is to do with their past experience of living as a human being plus their interpretation of life.

Life does not come ready made as source of human satisfaction or happiness or bliss. It is a skill and for most people this skill is never learned as the wealthy and powerful have a vested interest in suppressing the learning and mastery of this skill.

I myself see cellular regeneration as one route to spiritual revolution because the economics of human life would become radically changed along with it. You can condition people to keep running on a particular treadmill, when life is running out like sand through the hourglass (or rather youth and its capacity) but when the youthful part of life is stretched to 4 or 5 times its current length so is stretched the powers of youthful rebellion and fancy.

I would hope that with a significantly lengthened life, many people would be driven to ask: "Is this all there is to life?" and...have the time (and luxury) to search for the answer rather that compensate for the answer with the aggressive search for money, power and influence "before it's too late".

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Although I always appreciate a positive perspective in any aspect, I would respectfully say that a desire to live forever (or significantly longer) because you 'love life', serves to make you come across as being as mistakenly idealistic as though who ponder the possibilities of what they could do with an abundant resource of money.

The reality of such a situation is usually that; the more money you have, the more money you need. Within life, we usually find that such things are relative.

It is a primary example of how the human race erroneously believe 'quality' to be closely correlated with 'quantity'.

Let me ask you this; regardless of your zest for life, what percentage of it so far would you say that you have in some way wasted?

If it were quite simple for us to increase longevity ten fold to a thousand years, we would by its very action increase the distributed ratio of most of our biological processes.

Having lived a hundred years on this planet we would still find ourselves running around with the physical appearance and mentality of a ten year old. This is because cognitive development is directly tired into the physiological aging process.

So could you honestly say that a 30 year old and a 300 year old, by means of this comparison; could possibly have a greatly varying degree of fulfillment within their directly comparable lifespans? The unfortunate fact of such an example is that it would be very likely that you would see very little difference between the two.

Two say that those such as Einstein, etc could have achieved more for mankind's development once again mistakenly factors greater quantity as translating to quality.

Yes he would have 10 times longer in his day to work on more problems, but he would also then have been sleeping 10 times as much.

Then you need to factor in ratio regarding 'perception of time' and 'management of time', within this.

A perfect example of this would be; if someone asked you to complete a job for them and that it had to be done by the end of today, then you would manage your time accordingly to see such a project completed. But if they were to then turn around to you and say "actually no rush, but I need it in ten days". Could you honestly tell me that you would still manage your time according to distribution you had arranged in order to get it done the same day? I highly doubt it.

I would offer you that although there is nothing wrong with having longevity as an area of interest that you can study as a hobby, it would probably serve your limited duration on this planet (if you love life so much), that such a concern does not become the irony of the 'time wasted' in pursuit of finding such.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

So you are open for living another 500 years on the same system (well worst since things are already going downhill in all fronts, everywhere...). I would consider it at a better light if I was on the top of the pyramid but to be there I would have to be a very different person and I do not thing I would consider it a positive thing at all...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Clarify?

Not sure what you mean....

Immortality? Or just extreme longevity? Why would you want to stay young forever?

Um...it's physics. The nature of the universe is motion, which promotes instability, which becomes change. Everything will always be in motion, and everything will always change. Physically, you will outlast every single pleasure life has to offer. You will age not a second while all of your friends and family fade away. And if everyone attains perpetual youth, you will only live long enough to see all of your friends and family self destruct as they collapse beneath the strain of watching everything die around them, two hundred years weighing on them like over two lifetimes of confusion and struggles. Psychologically, you will never grow to appreciate the wisdom old age will give you.

Think what it would be like if einstein was still around or for that matter newton or or or.... how much further on we would be...

I like to think that the negatives the wasters and the do nothings would choose to do something with thier lives if they had more time to develop themselves.

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

Einstein wasn't afraid of death, and even a genius gets tired of living. Especially if he could see the world now. He'd probably be tweeting a rather extensive variety of facepalming pictures, maybe start a funny pages thing where he makes fun of the world with jokes no one understands. Oh, he'd be nuts, but that's great science for you. And who are you calling wasters and do nothing's? Are you talking about people who aren't afraid to die? That's a fine statement.

edit on 2-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Try taking your own advice....

Perhaps death is the next adventure in the cosmic progression of our soul. To be welcomed, unafraid and excited to see what's next. I find your arrogance insulting as illustrated by this comment...

edit on 2-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

And perhaps its oblivion....

Let me ask you a question...

What was it like for you before you were born??

Korg.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golden Rule

]

Peace
Korg.

One reason is that their brain is tired, and they are using their tired brain function to contemplate physical longevity. Or for most people, life is something like the work of a steam engine driver shovelling coal into the fiery furnace to keep the machine running - shovelling in food, drink, sex, e.t.c. This process may seem exciting and novel as a teenager or youth but the continuous search for novelty in a mundane process does become tired after a while.

A very thoughtful wise and intelligent post... I totally agree.

It's the routine then that becomes tiresome; If only people could break free of their mental bonds and contemplate beyond their immediate horizon.

Enlightenment is the realisation that you are the whole as well as an aspect.

I think certainly religion would have to go for such a world to exist.

Korg.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BornOfSin
Although I always appreciate a positive perspective in any aspect, I would respectfully say that a desire to live forever (or significantly longer) because you 'love life', serves to make you come across as being as mistakenly idealistic as though who ponder the possibilities of what they could do with an abundant resource of money.

The reality of such a situation is usually that; the more money you have, the more money you need. Within life, we usually find that such things are relative.

I disagree, money is one aspect of living in todays world. It is not and never shall be a measure of ones actual quality of life. Yes you can say that there are poor people in Africa whom have nothing because of no money.... but I'm sure you could raise their quality of life by giving them the means to feed and shelter themselves.

Your logic appears to be the more money you have the less money means to you and there fore with an abundance of life would somehow mean less. This is false logic.

I am 39 I have about 50 years to look forward to and yet I have a great desire to live forever. If I had 960 years to look forward to this wouldn't change the fact that I still want to live.

It is a primary example of how the human race erroneously believe 'quality' to be closely correlated with 'quantity'.

Life is not a commodity, whereby a short quality life is better than a long fruitless one. Every life no matter what that life maybe doing is utterly priceless.

Besides with more time one has the chance to raise ones quality of life.

Let me ask you this; regardless of your zest for life, what percentage of it so far would you say that you have in some way wasted?

Not one nano second!!

Because i live for others as well as for myself, code of honour!

If it were quite simple for us to increase longevity ten fold to a thousand years, we would by its very action increase the distributed ratio of most of our biological processes.

Having lived a hundred years on this planet we would still find ourselves running around with the physical appearance and mentality of a ten year old. This is because cognitive development is directly tired into the physiological aging process.

totally incorrect. This isn't slowing the aging process down so you grow slower... this is about preventing you from growing old!

So could you honestly say that a 30 year old and a 300 year old, by means of this comparison; could possibly have a greatly varying degree of fulfilment within their directly comparable lifespans? The unfortunate fact of such an example is that it would be very likely that you would see very little difference between the two.

You simply cannot know how much knowledge you could assimilate in 300 years of life. a 300 year old would indeed look upon a 30 year old as a child if that is your point earlier.

Two say that those such as Einstein, etc could have achieved more for mankind's development once again mistakenly factors greater quantity as translating to quality.

So you think because of dying young Einstein would be less brilliant? I'm confused as to why you would think so.

Yes he would have 10 times longer in his day to work on more problems, but he would also then have been sleeping 10 times as much.

Ey? you've lost me on that one. 8 hours in a day average so 16 hours awake time x 80 years Vs. 16 hours awake time over 1000 years.... your logic is faulty.

Then you need to factor in ratio regarding 'perception of time' and 'management of time', within this.

A perfect example of this would be; if someone asked you to complete a job for them and that it had to be done by the end of today, then you would manage your time accordingly to see such a project completed. But if they were to then turn around to you and say "actually no rush, but I need it in ten days". Could you honestly tell me that you would still manage your time according to distribution you had arranged in order to get it done the same day? I highly doubt it.

you’re not thinking out of the box enough. Technology will expload, managing time will be the least of our worries I assure you.

I would offer you that although there is nothing wrong with having longevity as an area of interest that you can study as a hobby, it would probably serve your limited duration on this planet (if you love life so much), that such a concern does not become the irony of the 'time wasted' in pursuit of finding such.

This would be true if I had sacrificed anything for a foolish pursuit. but a) I have had to sacrifice nothing thus far, and b) I am a very happy person in my life. I am not rich but what I do have is the ability to think and make things happen.

How can that be a waste I ask you?

Peace,

Korg.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It'd be great to live 1000 years.

All the mind blowing advancements in science and technology you would live to see and experience firsthand...

Sweet !

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
But, but ... what about the hayflick limit?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I would want the Curie's, the Pasteur's, the Hawking's, the Einstein's, the Ghandi's, the Dalai Lama's, etc, to live to 1000 +years. Me? I don't see what 1000 years of my life would achieve...perhaps something great given enough time, but, maybe all of society would benefit when you have a bunch of 1000 year olds ruling the planet....I wonder at which age the legal drinking limit would be then...210?...180 in Canada.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join