It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 year old girl arrested, charged with felony for science project

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Originally posted by Agent008
reply to post by Bedlam

Stink bombs in the girls bathrooms, a classic.

Now the school would be on lock down and the kids charged with trying to blow up the school.....

You wish.

They would lock down the city, hunt them down and shoot them.

And justice for all...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I'm so disgusted I don't even want to read the article. I just want to know who called the authorities?

When I think of the things I did as a kid...jeez, I should be in prison for life. And who says it isn't a science project just because it wasn't conducted by the science teacher or approved by the school? Can't we do science projects on our own?
edit on 5/1/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by anton74

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Won't the same thing happen with a mentos and coke? So now are any kids doing that going to be charged with a felony?

We are way out of control here.

I'm going guess this wasn't Mentos and Coke, or Baking Soda and Vinegar. What she probably used, could have caused serious injury and would certainly lead to felony charges. A quick search is all it takes to find out.

The water bottle is a dead give away of what the other material was
so the teacher should have better control of his material in school
I only know of only two chemical that react with water

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium

Originally posted by anton74

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Won't the same thing happen with a mentos and coke? So now are any kids doing that going to be charged with a felony?

We are way out of control here.

I'm going guess this wasn't Mentos and Coke, or Baking Soda and Vinegar. What she probably used, could have caused serious injury and would certainly lead to felony charges. A quick search is all it takes to find out.

The water bottle is a dead give away of what the other material was
so the teacher should have better control of his material in school
I only know of only two chemical that react with water

I'm guessing Drano and foil. It appears people have been prosecuted for this.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

OUTSTANDING JOB! AnonymousCitizen

That was a very tactful yet blunt way of confronting the looser that felt it prudent and necessary to publish this girl's personal info.

I hope they are inundated with vehement responses to their reckless actions.

As for those that deemed it necessary to prosecute her- Shame on their worthless souls.

Keep up the good fight...
edit on 1-5-2013 by topdog81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicGrind

So we got two different reports about how this went down. The source given by OP and the one you have provided. It is clear this teen girl took some simple household chemicals and made a little smoke and a little popping sound at school. Yet, two different sources give two different slants on the details.

I am wondering about one thing from the link you provided. The article list the teens complete home address. It that even legal in Florida? If she is under 18 should they even be listing her home address and name? I thought those under 18 are protected from having such information printed publicly due to their age.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by underduck

I'll bet she doesn't send me a carbon copy.

Looks like I was wrong. She did indeed send me basically the same thing she wrote to AnonymousCitizen and Underduck.

My comment to her:

Honestly, I'm not sure who should be more ashamed of themselves. The police, for arresting this young lady, and charging her. Or you, for publishing a minors name and address. Yes, yes, I know it's legal. That's your excuse?

Her reply:

Law enforcement considered this incident a threat to public safety, and we reported it. Florida law allows for the publication of the names and addresses of minors who are charged with felonies, which was the case in this instance. Our policy mirrors what the law allows.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Gee, my son and I would have been in a lot of trouble.

I graduated in 1979. I had a major in Home-ec....which shows how old I am, because I don't think they even have home-ec in schools anymore. For Advanced Foods 4, we needed to have a presentation of some type of cooking. I choose, with my teacher's permission of course, flambé and made Cherries Jubilee. It requires151proof rum, which I brought in my backpack, took to the classroom and gave to the teacher before school, used for the demo (got an A+), and then picked up from the teacher at the end of the day. None of this was a problem.

Now move forward a few years, when my son was in 4th or 5th grade. Earlier in the school year, they had a trip to a medieval fair, during which he purchased a wooden sword. A few months later, they needed to do reproduce something from the era they were discussing....the early history of the American continents. My son read about the weapons, and wanted to reproduce an Aztec sword....and they didn't use metal for weapons. They used obsidian, embedded in a wooden staff. So we carved a groove around the wooden sword's edge, mixed some wood putty. I got a large piece of black slag glass from a local aquarium store, we broke it into shards....and made a really epic weapon that was truly terrifying and sharp all the way around. He got an A+, too. They displayed it in the trophy case at the front door. It was great!! None of this was a problem.

Now, I would have been expelled for possession. And possibly jailed as minor in possession. My parents would have probably been investigated at the very least.
My son would have been arrested on a weapons charge. Probably I would be arrested for child endangerment.

Nobody cared and we both turned out fine.
The world has gone nuts.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by theMediator
"Hey what are you doing with that baking soda?....ARE YOU CRAZY? Get away from that vinegar you are gonna blow the whole universe apart!!"

I'm assuming she used more dangerous chemicals than just baking soda and vinegar.

if you've ever taken even basic chemistry courses in college, you would know chemicals aren't something ANYONE should be messing around with, let alone a 16 year old. She could have just as easily blown off one of her own arms, eyes, or another kids limbs.

She just wanted to see what happened to those chemicals in the bottle,

I'm sorry but you do NOT do that with chemicals. That is extremely dangerous.

I would guess she won't be convicted of a felony here. Being charged is not the same as being convicted.

ATS is really showing their ignorance on this thread. Mixing chemicals should not be taken lightly. It should only be done in a laboratory, and, for kids, under strict supervision.

edit on 1-5-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

So as a kid you never did anything stupid or set something on fire or blow something up or in general be a kid?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
Nobody cared and we both turned out fine.
The world has gone nuts.

That's a very self-centered attitude you have there.
Many people have lost their vision, amongst other things, because they were working with chemicals without protective eyewear.
It's more common than you'd think.

This topic is deadly serious, and I'll repeat....ATS is showing extreme ignorance right now.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent008
reply to post by Ghost375

So as a kid you never did anything stupid or set something on fire or blow something up or in general be a kid?

I didn't take out chemicals from under the sink and try mixing them together. That's the topic at hand. That is not normal kids being kids behavior. Don't try to change the subject or to turn this into an attack on me because you can't debate my points.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
S&F for your op poor girl who will find it very hard to get a decent job when she finishes school all because the school and police are taking things too far. What's next making a spark from a 9v battery will be classed as a weapon lol give me a break. Oh just to let you peeps know that I was excluded (not expelled) for a week for flicking an elastic band into a bin at my high school haha makes me laugh still.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a....water bottle....right....okay...following that logic then arrest this guy too and his diabolical schemes to cause property damage by detonating unsafe devices www.youtube.com... 2:07

PS; I'm been sarcastic that professor is freaking cool
edit on 1-5-2013 by StrawHatBrian because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Yeah, public schools are pretty scary. I remember when I used to go to one, they started getting worse after Columbine - we used to be allowed to play games like Doom in the library during lunch, but then they made a policy against it, which the librarians found ridiculous.

After 9/11 they got even worse - that is when they started installing video cameras everywhere. I have no idea what the high schools are like now, anyone know?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I graduated high school 4 years ago. Honestly things were great and alot of things people have talked about we did.
When I graduated Obama had just started his first term, since than schools have seriously gone overboard with there unnecessary rules. The things I did a mere 4 years ago would have probably got me arrested repeatedly today.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
When I was younger, I'm 37 now, we used to go to the school field and light off fireworks. If I did that today I'd probably be called a terrorist.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

The Public Education system is getting more and more ridiculous every day. They really, really need to quit with this "no tolerance" paranoid b.s. I swear to god, they've been getting worse year after year. It wouldn't surprise me if some high school experiences a full-on riot within the next few years in response to their school admin acting like a bunch of Nazi's.
edit on 1-5-2013 by Antonio1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Antonio1

a school near were I live had a student walkout because a teacher was wrongly fired. Similar?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicGrind
reply to post by trollz

It wasn't a science project.

www.theledger.com...

The girl told authorities she was conducting a science experiment, according to Bartow police, but science teachers at the school said they knew nothing about it.

She did this on her own with a lot of other kids around.

Please tell me how that means that it was not a science experiment ? If i do a science experiment in my basement without my science teacher present to watch it , was it really a science experiment ?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join