It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shot by Jacksonville Police after standoff.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Well, this is one you don't hear every day....

Jacksonville police fatally shot a man who came running out of a Southside mobile home Tuesday evening firing a gun after a 90-minute standoff with officers.

That isn't so unusual these days and it sounds like there was some solid justification here to be concerned. Neighbors report police removed a bloodied and injured man from the property before falling back into a standoff position with the gunmen inside. It's how this ended someone is left scratching their head, I believe.

When the man came out, he ran across the street toward a community park, firing his weapon and hollering hysterically before officers opened fire. The man fell to the ground between a police cruiser and a white wooden fence that surrounded the park as officers circled him and fired a final volley.
Source

This would seem to take 'Suicide By Cop' to whole new levels of meaning. What drives a person to charge at or past police while firing? They can't possibly expect it to be a survivable situation? Can they? I'll be interested to hear more if there is follow-up on this or anyone in Jacksonville may know more. It's just so odd, it reads like a movie. A rather bad one, at that. I'm thinking mental illness? Wow... It's a harsh reminder sometimes that not everyone we see in life is entirely "There" or rational in any way we'd recognize the concept.

That's actually quite a disturbing thought ...as I'm willing to bet this guy wasn't a hermit, blocked off from the world. People had contact with him and then seeing how he ended things? Well, it makes you wonder how close others may have come to being hurt at times and never even known it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Jacksonville where? Arkansas?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hello Wrabbit.

Strange in out society how suicide is illegal. That is an oxymoron if there ever was one.

It would seem to me that this suicide method is perhaps more acceptable to society in general. Pause a moment and think of saying of a friend either, "he committed suicide" or "he died in a hail of Police gunfire, no one seems to know what happened."

Which comment is more acceptable. I find it a silly stance by any society that criminalizes a person's right to end their own life. I understand why society acts in this way, it is seen as an indictment of the whole society and yet it is one of the weirder aspects.

In Japan, Suicide is accepted as a method of leaving this world without the stigma that Western Society has.

S&F

P

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kreyvic

Florida.... as the heading of the Source link says, for the Florida Times-Union.

@ Pheonix

Yeah, it is a bit odd, isn't it? Talk about a crime only failure is punished for. You'd think it's a little silly actually, having a formal law against it. Assisting? Yeah.. Sure. The act itself? Well, I'd say failing at that hardly needs the pile on of criminal charges to follow.

Of course, we don't really know what this case was except 'suicidal-like' behavior. I'll check again tomorrow and see if I can't find a follow-up to add updates to this. It's really got me a bit curious now.
edit on 1-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kreyvic

Try r-e-a-d-i-n-g the source!

P

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Didn't realize i could hit the "the Source" to get the original story and i would of if i knew how. I kept on trying to hit the off site quote.
edit on 1-5-2013 by Kreyvic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kreyvic

No problem! There is a forum for new arrivals that I think has directions for those not yet familiar with the site. Have a look at the freshman forum.

P

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well, I said I'd be back with updates today and sadly, there are updates to give. It turns out to be a bit more tragic than may have first appeared. The guy snapped, as the initial reporting indicated but not quite as clear as it first sounded. Then again, when are these things ever as clear as they may first sound? Here is .....the rest of the story.

Chief Tom Hackney said officers were originally called to the home about 6:45 p.m. after a man stabbed his stepfather in an “ambush attack.” Neighbors said they had seen the stepfather come out of the house bleeding and yelling for help.

The story mentions the police had AR-15's and were telling the man to surrender whereby he told them he was armed and not coming out. SWAT hadn't arrived yet when he made his fatal charge out the front door, gun leading the way. Here is where it does change a bit ...and recall now, Hackney is the Police Chief by the above section's ID. So..he'd not be gaining a thing to lie about this. The opposite, if anything.

He ran across the street toward a community park, firing his weapon, neighbors said, and hollering hysterically before officers opened fire. The man fell to the ground between a police cruiser and a white wooden fence that surrounded the park as officers circled him and fired a final volley.

Hackney said that the man had only pointed the gun despite the neighbors’ accounts that he had fired it. He said officers shot him multiple times in the upper body and he died at the scene.
Source

Something here does smell....ratty. He didn't fire? Yet they tore him up. Final volley? After he fell? So basically, they delivered a coup de' gras en masse? That's how I read this anyway. I suppose someone had to be there..?

The next door neighbor says the guy started the shooting when cops opened up, so that's a non-police witness confirming initial reports that they were fired on, not fired first. Yet their Chief says the guy never fired at the cops? Yeah....that's a real odd way for this to play out for who is saying what, isn't it??

The last part indicates the guys Mother had died within the last few days and people had seen him packing his car. No word in the article about how she died. I suppose I can understand grief so powerful, it feels like living in a world just a hair out of phase with normal reality.....but it never crossed by mind in the worst moments of that period to go postal and bring others into the dark place I was for awhile, following the loss of a parent.

Still... as promised, that's the story as it appears today with considerably more detail and context to how Jacksonville Police had their 4th shooting this year.

new topics

top topics

join