It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive explosion rocks Detroit refinery

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat
OMG!!! some industrial accident just happened,so it must be a terrorist attack,or a cruise missle,or a bomb! Really,you don't believe in just stupid coincidence? If every fire,explosion,whatever,was an attack,we'd all be in a bomb shelter 24/7.Grow up and get over it,if they really wanted to hurt the USA,they'd hit refinerie's and power center's,not some 2 bit dump in texas

"You talkin' to me" ?

Grow up?
This Thread IS about a refinery explosion !

Massive explosion rocks Detroit refinery

The operative word in the title is refinery.

as long as you brought it up...
Do you have proof that terrorism is NOT the cause of the Texas blast ?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The link says one employee was injured

All these explosions happening every couple of days is odd to say the least.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat
OMG!!! some industrial accident just happened,so it must be a terrorist attack,or a cruise missle,or a bomb! Really,you don't believe in just stupid coincidence? If every fire,explosion,whatever,was an attack,we'd all be in a bomb shelter 24/7.Grow up and get over it,if they really wanted to hurt the USA,they'd hit refinerie's and power center's,not some 2 bit dump in texas

Exactly what story did you read?
This isn't Texas. Read please, then post

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
An update for this guys. I hope the OP doesn't mind my bringing this as it sounds to be what I'd call good news, actually.

The fire, which started around 6 p.m., prompted evacuations in nearby Melvindale and had first responders from Detroit and neighboring communities offering aid.

No Marathon employees or contract workers were hurt, Pochard said. About 300 Marathon employees work at the refinery, plus an additional 300-400 contract workers, said Peter Brokas, head of security.
Source

That's a lot of employees to manage coming out with no one being hurt! One of those lucky moments that come in these things, I imagine. Whatever the cause of the reports of 0 deaths or injury though, I'd call it a decent ending to what could have been a bad accident given initial reports!
edit on 27-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

I live right there, this is where they added on the new Sand Oil Plant at the cost of 2 Billion Plus. They are having problems there alll the time, the cops told me to leave one time because they lost control and thought it was going to blow.
You know these people are suppose to be so smart and there was a big salt mine right next to them they could of bought at time for 6 million dollar. So now they have this big billlion dollar expansion all made out of steel next to these giant piles of salt. This salt blows all over the place, I bet they love seeing it all over there nice new gauges,
The salt has wrecked my auto and a few other metal tings

This is almost as stupid when the guy told me they were going g to put a man made lake next to one of those waste dump mountains and then they were still so stupid they still tried to put lake in but across the street,what a bunch of morons.Then they found out they could collect the methane gas coming out of the mountain of trash and now they closed the skiing, I think it was to toxic

BUt this explosion was nothing but the morons running this place, the first rule for installing a refinery is to do it where there are no people living close by, the closest home to this place is under 500 feet away.

edit on 27-4-2013 by OOOOOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hi Randy. I'm confused. Would you please help me understand this? I had a diesel pickup once, and as I understood it, a diesel engine has glow plugs instead of spark plugs because diesel fuel doesn't spark or explode like gasoline. So I was wondering how a diesel tank could explode when I saw your comment indicating it makes perfect sense to you. What am I misunderstanding? Was it fumes? Is it more like diesel can be explosive, but simply has a higher flash point than gasoline? (I apologize if my ignorance is showing) Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Duplicate thread of this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boadicea
reply to post by randyvs

Hi Randy. I'm confused. Would you please help me understand this? I had a diesel pickup once, and as I understood it, a diesel engine has glow plugs instead of spark plugs because diesel fuel doesn't spark or explode like gasoline. So I was wondering how a diesel tank could explode when I saw your comment indicating it makes perfect sense to you. What am I misunderstanding? Was it fumes? Is it more like diesel can be explosive, but simply has a higher flash point than gasoline? (I apologize if my ignorance is showing) Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Here's what I do know gasoline is far more volatile then diesel. I don't see just a spark causing an explosion
for either oil or diesel. I think it would take a fire to cause them to explode tho. Other than that I'm at loss as much or maybe more than you are so apology not accepted ?

I searched and found that diesel fuel has to be compressed and warmed to a certain temperature
before it becomes volatile.
edit on 27-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

I ran the thread title and got nothing refering to another thread.
Can't help that the "search" function is not on the ball.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This happened down the road from me 3 weeks ago.. which just happens to be across the river from the latest explosion. Different countries same sort of mishaps.

"Houses shook, alarms sounded and a fireball exploded into the sky.
Fear and curiosity spread through the west end Thursday morning after a malfunction at a petroleum storage facility caused an explosion, which the company called a “controlled burn.”"

blogs.windsorstar.com...

my apologies if not done right ..

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OOOOOO

Hi OOOOOO,
Were you in the area when todays event took place ?

If so, did you feel or hear the discharge ?
If not, do you know any one who was near the site at the time ?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gtbobcat
This happened down the road from me 3 weeks ago.. which just happens to be across the river from the latest explosion. Different countries same sort of mishaps.

"Houses shook, alarms sounded and a fireball exploded into the sky.
Fear and curiosity spread through the west end Thursday morning after a malfunction at a petroleum storage facility caused an explosion, which the company called a “controlled burn.”"

blogs.windsorstar.com...

my apologies if not done right ..

Wow 1st called a "controled burn" by the company?
Turns out to be a "malfunction".... and just what the he!! does that mean anyway?

This is all to uncanny IMO

Thanks for the info and the link.

Guess what I live across from Sarnia's massive refinery complex and it's damn scarry
edit on 27-4-2013 by azureskys because: added more

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

I am just about as close as you can get, I was lucky to be sitting on the toilet when the explosion occurred.
Yes, I didn't know what had happened, it shook the entire house.

I listen to the news they were trying to say it was a tanker, from what I understand it was a Tank located at the refinery.

This is kind of common occurance around here, this one was kind of bigger, than the norm.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I live at the other end of town but with both explosions I seen the black clouds drifting up .. but as for hearing or seeing .. no, nothing. It`s also towards Zug Island area .. which happens to belch out these things from their furnaces, quite the sight when done at night .. so both times I was surprised to read about them as explosions. Oh and a FYI this area is also where the new international crossing is going to be built.
And about the protests .. I know they were protesting the storage of pet coke .. uncovered and by the waters edge .. some piles up to 4 stories high ... very light stuff and easily blown around.

edit on 27-4-2013 by gtbobcat because: Added more info about the area

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OOOOOO

Thank you for the reply.
If you hear any more about what actually took place, could you post it please?

Glad you were safe on the pot

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by sandman441

Is it an oil refinery owned by Marathon or is it just named marathon? If it's owned by Marathon then I can understand that.

Kinda forgot about this, but yeah it seems like it was owned by Marathon Oil

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by gtbobcat

Oh thats right, the international crossing is going to be built. Great spot for it
(not)

Yeh that pet coke is a mess there.
Lot's of angry people.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Fair enough! I have to admit I like having company in my ignorance. But I cannot for the life of me think of a relevant second line so must end it like this and hang my head in shame.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
What's with all the explosions lately? And the refinery being named "marathon" is kind of odd too. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but my conspiracy senses are tingling. All I know is that explosions usually incite fear into people, so maybe that has something to do with it?

That's racist. Get it? Marathon, racist?

This is like the sort of labeled attacks a foreigner would do based off of their gathered intelligence over the years and decided by a boss-type that goes strictly off of names for targets. To send a message.

This has to be arson. The Boston thing, the West TX thing, and now Detroit is reaching the phase of anarchy when there are fires blooming in the city. This could be a copycat event.

It may be the year of the pyromaniac. Summer hasn't even started yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join