It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive explosion rocks Detroit refinery

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OOOOOO

yes same as Port Stanvac in Port Adelaide.

houses directly across the street!
Crazy!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Interesting "coincidences" -

A) "marathon"

B) we are currently in Lunation Cycle 1117

www.timeanddate.com...

C) Today is the 117 day of the year.

D) 117th Boston Marathon just occurred.

Either (insert name of ATS debunk Crew here) is right....and all of this is "coincidence"....OR we are seeing proof of the Matrix right before our eyes.

week 17

17 years since port Arthur massacre on the 28th which is today in your time zone.

you plus 27th date and 1 day together you come up with 28th.

edit on 28-4-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by DarkSecret

That is very true also. When people are stressed they make mistakes. Companies cut corners sometimes to make profits, a stupid middle management move.

I've seen and heard companies do that - middles managers get paid bonuses based on the amount of money they reduce the budget compared to the year before. Naturally, safety inspections, processes and equipment are the first to be reduced.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OOOOOO

BUt this explosion was nothing but the morons running this place, the first rule for installing a refinery is to do it where there are no people living close by, the closest home to this place is under 500 feet away.

edit on 27-4-2013 by OOOOOO because: (no reason given)

What usually happens is that they build homes after the refinery is built. Once the refinery is built, there are plenty of jobs, but a shortage of affordable homes because prices have risen due to the employment boom.

Developers look around for cheap land, and guess where the cheapest land is? Right next to the refinery. So they build the homes there. Nobody minds, because they are all so desperate to find somewhere to live, even better if it is right next to the workplace. During these boom times, people are so desperate, they'll be willing to live anywhere; in flood-plains, under airport flight paths, under power lines, alongside eroding cliff edges, next to chemical and industrial plants. So the houses get built.

Then one large-scale industrial accident later that involves a gas cloud and/or an explosion, everyone starts asking "Who on earth in their right mind approved the construction of these homes so close to such a dangerous workplace?"

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Also posted here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on Sun Apr 28 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thank you so very much

I have some more news to post on this event

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Update ? Not much being said and that makes it even more worriesome.
No news yet onjust what caused the explosion.
What toxins havethe people been breathing ?

www.freep.com...

No details were released on what may have caused Saturday’s fire. Air quality monitoring was under way and the proper state and federal agencies were notified, said Marathon spokesman Pochard, who did not release further details. In August 2011, another fire broke out at the refinery. No injuries were reported in that instance, either.

Wayne County Commissioner Ilona Varga, whose district includes neighborhoods around the plant in Detroit and Melvindale, said she is concerned the blaze released toxic chemicals, including potential carcinogens, into the environment. She said Melvindale officers wore respirators as they evacuated residents.

“My concern is the environment, carcinogens, what they are breathing in,” Varga said at a Marathon facility where the company at first gathered reporters for an update then instead referred questions to a company spokesman in Findlay, Ohio.

Varga said she plans to call Marathon’s headquarters to find out why “they didn’t have a spokesman (on site) to answer our questions.”.

The place is a disaster waiting to happen !
If this place went up an enormous area surrounding it would be gone also. Many lives would be lost

According to its web site, it is the country’s fourth-largest refiner, and the largest refiner in the Midwest.

www.freep.com...

How was there a diesel explosion with out compression. ?
Was there a fire first ?

edit on 28-4-2013 by azureskys because: spelling

edit on 28-4-2013 by azureskys because: changed format

edit on 28-4-2013 by azureskys because: add on

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Found this about the evacuaction procedure.
detroit.cbslocal.com...

Tim Zelin tells WWJ’s Beth Fisher that he could feel the vibration from the explosion
and doesn’t think residents were told to leave quickly enough.

How long should authorities wait to evacuate residents ?

He says it took a couple of hours before they were evacuated and he wants some answers
as to whether there are any lingering safety issues.

detroit.cbslocal.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I live whithin 30 miles or so of a refinery, in Anacortes WA. I was also a 911 dispatcher for this are for awhile. I can tell you that incidents such as this are actually not that rare at refineries and it is normal procedure for them to handle most things themselves.

For example, the refinery out here has different levels of incidents. They (the refinery) have their own fire department, including fire suppression, fire fighters and EMT's, etc. The 911 center would be notified if there was something happening, and the level. Based on the level, we would either just notify or dispatch local agencies. Most of the time, they would handle it 'in house'. Much better for them that way, because then they don't have to explain to the public what is going on. Much cleaner.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hey all you people!

Get your hands on a book called The Next Catastrophy by professor emeritus (Yale) Charles Perrow.
If you read up on that one, you'll see that these sort of accidents, if not disasters, was totally predictable in the first place and will happen more frequently in the future. We built these dangerous concentrations of chemicals and whatnot, then we cut down on costs which means saftey and security, and "oops" there we have it! Just like Deepwater Horizon or whathaveyou.
Most likely, the people who's in charge screwed up. I bet if you check the safety records from all these lately explosions you'll be shocked.

After the Boston bombings we have all got a little crazy, just like after 9/11, so lets just keep it on a level here, alright?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
What's with all the explosions lately? And the refinery being named "marathon" is kind of odd too. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but my conspiracy senses are tingling. All I know is that explosions usually incite fear into people, so maybe that has something to do with it?

i would not dismiss the idea, although it has been named marathon for many many years...i used to drive past it all the time...but it is less than a danger to surrounding neighborhoods than you might think...its on the outskirts of town for a reason...

what i think is that there is a deliberate attempt to cripple the infrastructure systematically, and disarm the people so they will be unable to defend themselves or support themselves logistically when and if there is a major disaster that cripples the US govt, takes out the military or keeps them from protecting the country somehow (by deployment or something similar) and when the country that comes in to the rescue arrives, we will have no choice but to bend over to their demands...things are too strategically connected to not really mean anything...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
They (the refinery) have their own fire department, including fire suppression, fire fighters and EMT's, etc. The 911 center would be notified if there was something happening, and the level. Based on the level, we would either just notify or dispatch local agencies. Most of the time, they would handle it 'in house'. Much better for them that way, because then they don't have to explain to the public what is going on. Much cleaner.

Yep:

The refinery's private firefighting operation had extinguished the blaze by about 8 p.m., company spokesman Shane Pochard told the Detroit Free Press.
There was no immediate word on the cause of the fire and crews were evaluating air quality, Pochard said.

No refinery workers were injured and the appropriate federal authorities have been notified of the situation, he said. Pochard said the fire was centered in one of the smaller tanks at the refinery.

The matching name, Marathon, is a bit wierd though...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thank you for your response

I am concerned however with such things as
No reports given on air quality,
No spokesman at said facility to answer questions,
and the length of time it took to evacuate the surrounding population.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
reply to post by azureskys

from the comments under your source:

Anonymous user April 27, 2013 23:43
Ahhh yes another terrorist attack on our soil that will be reported as an "accident"....

too many random explosions happening lately. hmmm

Or too many reporters sharing stories about explosions every time a minor accident happens, and you just never knew about all these accidents before!

I have used the RSOE system for years to track events, and this is all about perception and reporting. Do you know that every month there are potentially hundreds of reported "explosions" all across the USA? They are everything from car fires, to gas leaks, to transformers popping in a storm.

This is not unusual, and the fact that reporters are jumping on anything that's louder than a Human fart right now is not surprising to most of us.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I live a mile from the place.

It is a refinery with A LOT of moving parts and dangerous materials. Fires happen. It was not really a big deal actually. It was cleared up in a little over an hour.

I can remember about 25(ish) years ago when it actually "blew up". It killed a bunch of people and shattered the glass in our school about 2 miles away.

Not to sound flippant, but this is really a non-event.

ETA - I don't have fancy equipment or insider information. The plant is just outside Delray (Detroit neighborhood), within five miles are a sewage treatment plant, Zug Island industrial waste repository, three foundries and stamping plants, the Detroit and Rouge rivers, and a squalid ghetto of about 40 city blocks. Air quality didn't change one iota over this little fire

edit on 28-4-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
reply to post by westcoast

Thank you for your response

I am concerned however with such things as
No reports given on air quality,
No spokesman at said facility to answer questions,
and the length of time it took to evacuate the surrounding population.

You should be concerned. I had NO idea how much went on at our nearby refinery and how dangerous it was. There is potential for towns to literally be destroyed, and they wait until they absolutely can't contain it themselves so they don't have to allow outsiders in to see what is going on.

It is all very hush, hush. There are toxic chemical spills/leaks and nearby residents have NO idea.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
West, TX. Mobile AL., Now Detroit.

I'm just going to tell myself that these are all coincidences as I try to soothe myself back to sleep....

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by studythem1

What's with all the explosions lately? And the refinery being named "marathon" is kind of odd too. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but my conspiracy senses are tingling. All I know is that explosions usually incite fear into people, so maybe that has something to do with it?

i would not dismiss the idea, although it has been named marathon for many many years...i used to drive past it all the time...but it is less than a danger to surrounding neighborhoods than you might think...its on the outskirts of town for a reason...

what i think is that there is a deliberate attempt to cripple the infrastructure systematically, and disarm the people so they will be unable to defend themselves or support themselves logistically when and if there is a major disaster that cripples the US govt, takes out the military or keeps them from protecting the country somehow (by deployment or something similar) and when the country that comes in to the rescue arrives, we will have no choice but to bend over to their demands...things are too strategically connected to not really mean anything...

Thank you for your input on this event

I remember a man I met telling me the exact same thing you said about " a deliberate attempt to cripple the infrastructure systematically"... and that was 24 years ago.
He said the U.N. would sweep in and take over because the U.S would be in such dier straits it could not fend for it's self.
He also eluded to the Illuminati
I sure hope this is not what is going on but I do think things are headed that way.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys

Originally posted by studythem1

Thank you for your input on this event

I remember a man I met telling me the exact same thing you said about " a deliberate attempt to cripple the infrastructure systematically"... and that was 24 years ago.
He said the U.N. would sweep in and take over because the U.S would be in such dier straits it could not fend for it's self.
He also eluded to the Illuminati
I sure hope this is not what is going on but I do think things are headed that way.

oh some will be massive, and others will be little things here and there, and it will take a while to make it less than noticeable...but it is systematic...they already have their stockpiles, seeds and bunkers...they are just trying to bump our plates off the table now...one by one...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by studythem1

Man and I wanted to still be around when things were in the "Jetson's" mode.
Well scratch that dream

By the way Air qualitiy reps. claim the air is OK at and around the refinery blast site.
the air hasen't been safe to breath anywhere near the Detroit area in a long, long time !
We use to make jokes about being able to walk ON the River Rouge it is sooo polluted.
Is it any wonder the city is dying a slow death?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join